Best Buy Launches @Gamer Magazine

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Best Buy Launches @Gamer Magazine

Future US [http://www.bestbuy.com] have unveiled @Gamer, a new print magazine catering to both hardcore and casual gamers that will also offer "hundreds of dollars in savings annually" toward purchases.

Each issue of the multi-platform @Gamer magazine will be at least 100 pages and cover around 30 of the month's "best gaming products." William O'Neal, previously the gadget and technology correspondent on G4TV's Attack of the Show [http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/index.html], will serve as Editor-in-Chief, while veteran game journalist Andy Eddy will take on the Executive Editor role.

"We've assembled a stellar editorial team - a who's who in gaming - to ensure @Gamer is an independent and modern multi-platform magazine that will engage the most enthusiastic gamers," said Future Plus Vice President John Gower.

Setting aside the many risks inherent in launching a new gaming magazine at a time when gaming magazines are floundering badly, Gower's comment highlights the biggest question mark hanging over the venture: Can a promotional tool realistically be expected to deliver honest, useful and unbiased content? What are the odds that we'll see a negative review of a major blockbuster game that Best Buy has heavily invested in promoting? Or, conversely, that we'll find out about hot new stuff that Best Buy isn't carrying?

@Gamer will launch later this month - June 27, according to the image currently parked on the @Gamer website [http://www.atgamermagazine.com/] - and will cost $5.99 per issue at Best Buy or $19.99 for a ten-issue subscription. Almost $150 worth of exclusive discount offers on games and accessories will be included in the debut issue and future issues will include at least $20 is discounts; however, while anyone can buy or subscribe to the magazine, the promotions will only be available to customers who sign up for the Reward Zone Gamers Club, Best Buy's free "gaming loyalty program."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont really see much use in printed media these days...not when so much is done online

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Call me old but I still enjoy reading magazines. While I wouldn't expect unbiased reviews from this I could get those elsewhere. Might get the subscription regardless if I can save myself money on games since I buy quite a bit from there.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Jaredin said:
I dont really see much use in printed media these days...not when so much is done online
Honestly, you have a point.

But sometimes the feel of a good gaming magazine on a car ride or etc, can be really nice.

That being said I'm going to look into this.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Hmm...mixed with the rewards zone from best buy and this magazine...thats a lot of savings. I'm actually going to look into this now.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
Call me old but I still enjoy reading magazines. While I wouldn't expect unbiased reviews from this I could get those elsewhere. Might get the subscription regardless if I can save myself money on games since I buy quite a bit from there.
same I get alot of news online but I still get really happy when I get my gameinformer in the mail, I like having a physcial copy, I can look at with my friends and not have to be looking at a monitor.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I'm done buying used, and mostly done selling games...so, my Gamestop membership with the free Game Informer is done. There is a Best Buy close to me, too. Shitty selection and prices, though.

I remember O'Neal, too. I liked him.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Huh, I guess it's competing against GameStop and Gameinformer. I wish them the best of luck.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Best Buy Review: "All the games we stock are great! Especially the most expensive ones: Ten oudda Ten!"

Might as well ask a barber for advice if I need a haircut.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
US gaming magazines are pretty rubbish, all adverts and sub par reviews. Most UK ones are as well. Although EDGE magazine is pretty solid, gave FF13 the average score it deserved

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Well I already have a Reward Zone Gamer's Club membership, so this could be pretty useful.

Thank you BB.

Helmet

Could use a beer about now...
May 14, 2008
I work for Best Buy.

....Why is this the first I've heard about this?

Nobody tells the warehouse guys anything....