E3 2010: ESPN and Xbox 360 Get Exclusive

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
E3 2010: ESPN and Xbox 360 Get Exclusive

Microsoft and ESPN have signed an exclusive deal to bring your favorite sports to Xbox Live, and only Xbox Live.

Do you like sports? Do you like sports on your Xbox 360? No longer will sports fans with Xbox Live be limited to the latest Madden titles: ESPN and Xbox Live have signed a deal that will bring 3,500 different live sporting events to the 360 in year one alone.

The new feature will let Xbox Live Gold members watch literally thousands of sporting events on demand. The presenters demoed last years' USC vs. Ohio State college football game, and were able to pick what team they were rooting for, as well as instantly replay any of the game's major plays - just by saying "Xbox, replay!"

There will also be trivia and other interactive elements. Best of all, if you have a Gold membership, all of the ESPN elements are absolutely free. Great news for sports fans with Xbox Live - at least here in the States, anyway. Hopefully our friends in Europe and the rest of the world will get something like that soon, so they can watch Robert Green's horrific choke-up in the England vs. USA match, over and over and over again.

Stay tuned on our liveblog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101327-Liveblog-Microsoft-E3-2010-Media-Briefing].

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Oh wow, I only enjoy watching (American) football but damn these options look nice! And it is all free as long as I am a gold member?

ESPN + 1 for me :)

Also is perfect for my college dorm, as I don't normally have a T.V I can just go on here and watch my teams.

Freaking. Awesome.

J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets!!!

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
Thats....really not a bad idea, gold membership isn't a bad price to pay.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
This is great news for anyone with a 360. I mean, wow... Just WOW!

xbeaker

Sep 11, 2007
This is GREAT news for me. I recently decided to abandon cable TV. Between Netflix, Hulu, and the like, there was nothing I needed that warrented a $70 a month bill. Nothing except sports. I has simply accepted that I would have to go to the local bar to watch games, and my deep frier would lay mostly dormant and cold on Sunday afternoons.

Looks like it is game on again. This really makes me happy.

TheZapper

Jul 11, 2009
Sounds like a great idea to me- hopefully we'll get something similar in Europe soon.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
As long as I get to watch NHL games in Europe, I'll be a happy monkey.
If I can get Baseball, I'll probably subscribe. Its a sport I've wanted to get to know, but I can't watch it :(

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Well, this is fantastic news for everyone. Except those outside America or wherever ESPN operates. But we don't care about your little game of Rugby for girls. Then again, I don't care about sport full stop.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sports?

*yawns*

I'd rather watch one of them Inside Xbox videos over and over than watch...sports.

Dan-o-mite

Jul 8, 2008
I'm guessing this won't be available in Canada. At best they'll give us TSN's coverage of the Toronto Maple Leafs practices...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I would if I had an xbox, lived in America and all the teams I follow didn't suck.

Although I kinda let myself in for it when I decided to make the Red Sox my baseball team.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Plinglebob said:
Nerf Ninja said:
If I can get Baseball, I'll probably subscribe. Its a sport I've wanted to get to know, but I can't watch it :(
If you've got an iphone or ipad you could get MLB.COMs at bat app, you have to pay a subscription but you get to watch all the games, I'm not really a baseball fan but I'm tempted by that. Or you could do it online it works that way too.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
Plinglebob said:
Nerf Ninja said:
If you've got an iphone or ipad you could get MLB.COMs at bat app, you have to pay a subscription but you get to watch all the games, I'm not really a baseball fan but I'm tempted by that. Or you could do it online it works that way too.
Thanks for the tip, but for me it would just be the tipping point to finally get me to sign up for Gold. My fingers are crossed though.

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
John Funk said:
so they can watch Robert Green's horrific choke-up in the England vs. USA match, over and over and over again.
Even as an American, I still find that uncalled for...

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
This is where I become a total fanboy and make fun of my ps3 friends.

That's awesome, even though 360 has no web browser *grumble*, hopefully this 'exclusive' add on will be more useful than the pitiful thing they've got for facebook...