Please, Film These Games!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Please, Film These Games!

So which games does MovieBob want to see as movies?

Read Full Article

Atrophy

Dec 12, 2009
Good ideas Bob, anlthough I think that JRPG gender ambiguity would lose something in a film.
I hope you know that there is A MASS EFFECT MOVIE coming out, as shown on the ME website. As a fan of the series, I think this is a terrible idea, but as long as it bankrolls ME3 and pays Drew Karpyshyn I don't mind .

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
As a resident of one of the few places in the world where a man can where a cowboy hat without being considered ridiculous or "in costume", I would like to invite Red Dead Redemption, a possible Red Dead movie, and all cowboy fiction in general to take a big fuck off.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Mass Effect: On the plus side: richly-detailed science fiction world, unique alien races and a pre-justified reason to cast ANY actor or actress as Shephard you want without worrying if he/she "looks like the game." On the minus side: might be redundant if you don't get it made before somebody reboots Babylon 5.
:D

Though they will never reboot B5 because, unlike Star Trek or Stargate or...most anything else with Star in-front of it, B5 was perfect and I will stab anyone in the eye who disagrees.

As for games that must be filmed, I'm gonna say Homeworld needs to be filmed. It's got the same basic story as Battlestar Galactica, but it subtracts all the really stupid shit and replaced it with more awesome. Also, the Khusan are far more interesting than the Colonials: I mean, they're not just "Americans in space but they're polytheistic, so that makes them COMPLETELY DIFFERENT."

Also, it has a unique design atheistic and captures just how beautiful space is, with the Khusan fleet starting at the edge of the galaxy, which gets brighter and brighter as they head inwards towards the Core, through nebulas and glowing gas fields. Yes, a space setting that's just not a ton of little white dots on a black background.

Add to that plenty of characters you can create - fighter pilots, capital ship captains, whatever - and really really awesome music and BAM!

Awesome movie. Or TV show. Yeah, it could make an awesome TV show too.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I would love to see a well-done Castlevania adaptation. And I agree about Alucard. Much as I love the guy, angsty, brooding, misunderstood bishounen vampire anti-heroes have been done to death for over a decade now. Let's have a monster-hunting romp where vampires are monsters, end of story, and watch Belmont whip them all into oblivion. (marketing tagline: When a problem comes along...)

I didn't think the first Mortal Kombat was a horrible film: it used the Enter the Dragon underworld tournament plot, which as you implied is really the only way to handle a fighting game adaptation, the characterizations were pretty good, the soundtrack was awesome, and we got a couple of cool-looking fight scenes, what more did we want? It's not like the source material was deep to begin with. (The sequel, on the other hand...). And I consider the Dead or Alive film a guilty pleasure, probably because it doesn't take itself seriously.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I was thinking they need to make an Earthworm Jim movie, myself.

There is already a Mass Effect movie apparently in production, though, so that's one of your wishes granted and you may not have even known it.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
With Disney now owning Marvel, I can finally see Wolverine and Mickey Mouse team up with Cloud to fight Davy Jones. Wouldn't that make an awesome movie? I definitely agree with the Chrono Trigger bit. It is undoubtedly the best JRPG ever, and it needs some sort of commemoration.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Hey, I'm definitely for a new Mario movie. I don't hate the old one, I just don't care for it and hope for a new one.

Interesting question though: should a new Mario movie include Luigi? That's stuck on my mind right now. I want to say yes, but I'd rather see Mario hack it on his own in the first movie and have Luigi introduced in the sequel (if the first did well).

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
i actually have to agree with all the movies on here. there isn't a single one that i don't think would be good IF in the right hands. god help us if micheal bay gets his hands on any of these.

P.S. HOLY CRAP DON FRYE IS MIKE HAGGAR

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
MacNille said:
Red dead would be awsome if they have cameo of Clint Eastwood.
That would sell it pretty much for me! He could play the old guy from Mexico, make an apperance as an old style cowboy!

I would love to see this as a film, not enough westerns these days!

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
MacNille said:
Red dead would be awsome if they have cameo of Clint Eastwood.
Brokeback Mountain lol

But seriously, Mario? I don't think I could see that happening, It's not a very complex story...

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
There is one major problem with making a Mass Effect movie.Shepard.Now if you make a male lead in the movie,I and most likely a lot of other people will be disappointed.And if you have a male lead,then someone who isn't me will be happy.
Now there are also the big plot choices that you make that you have to take into account.If you make the Shepard paragon,a lot,and I mean A LOT of people will be pissed.And vice versa.
Now I have a partial solution to all of this.Make the movies Animated.Make 4 of them.And make them appeal to everyone.One is Male/Paragon,another one is Female/Paragon...Ahh you get the point.
Now having it animated would also mean that we could keep the original voice actors.And I think that it would be a treat for almost everyone.

And I would love to see a Kingdom Hearts movie.But I would also have to see it animated.Because of the voice in the games.

Yes,voice acting is a big part for me.And I hate it when characters get new voices out of the blue.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I have to say the best mario adaptation was done on this very site with there will be brawl. It could never be made into hollywood because only douchbags want series to grow up outside of fan remakes (as mentioned by a certain Mr Chipman before) but why not do something around SSBB with the all star cast of Nintendo creatures taking on an unkowable evil? anyone?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
"Earthbound" would be an awesome movie, provided they could get kid actors who weren't annoying as sin. The only problem I'd see is that Hollywood seems to have problems with (or gets negative attention from) movies where kids go around beating up adults. Hypnotized or not, there were a lot of adult enemy types in "Earthbound."

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I would add Anachronox to the list. The cinematic sequences of the game linked together are already an award wining machinima.
A 3+ hour Anachronox movie, or two movies, would be amazing to see. As long as it's done right.

Apr 28, 2008
Hell you don't even need to make the Mass Effect movie about the games.

Mass Effect's universe is vast, and there are plenty of events that would make good movies.

The first contact war for example. You have space battles, land battles, and I'm pretty sure Bioware can make a half-decent story.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
I'm disappointed in no mention of Ace Attorney. C'mon, it's got comedic pacing like My Cousin Vinny, human drama like Twelve Angry Men, and goofy mysteries like A Shot in the Dark. This is one that could definitely work.

I mean, it's already a stage show!

Apr 28, 2008
RanD00M said:
There is one major problem with making a Mass Effect movie.Shepard.Now if you make a male lead in the movie,I and most likely a lot of other people will be disappointed.And if you have a male lead,then someone who isn't me will be happy.
Now there are also the big plot choices that you make that you have to take into account.If you make the Shepard paragon,a lot,and I mean A LOT of people will be pissed.And vice versa.
Now I have a partial solution to all of this.Make the movies Animated.Make 4 of them.And make them appeal to everyone.One is Male/Paragon,another one is Female/Paragon...Ahh you get the point.
Now having it animated would also mean that we could keep the original voice actors.And I think that it would be a treat for almost everyone.

And I would love to see a Kingdom Hearts movie.But I would also have to see it animated.Because of the voice in the games.

Yes,voice acting is a big part for me.And I hate it when characters get new voices out of the blue.
Like I said above, they don't need to do Shepard's story. First Contact would make a decent movie on its own.