E3 2010: EA Wants to Make You a Sports Star

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
E3 2010: EA Wants to Make You a Sports Star

At its E3 2010 press conference, EA unveiled "Live Broadcast," a feature that will give your virtual MMA [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76306] matches a chance to be broadcast to thousands.

I'm going to be honest here: I'm no MMA fighter, and neither are you. If I stepped in the ring, I'd get pummeled in seconds flat. But I do like fighting games, and I do like talking smack.

So I guess that makes me the target audience for EA's "Live Broadcast," then. The publisher unveiled the feature at its E3 2010 press conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101342-Liveblog-EA-2010-Press-Conference-E3] - it will let you upload photos to create your own fighter when you can then take into the ring.

After that? You smack talk - and I mean, really smack talk. Upload videos of yourself calling your opponent of choice every single pejorative you can imagine, and EA will host them (hopefully with some quality control).

Tournaments will be held online, and the top matches will be broadcast for thousand of people to watch - complete with professional commentary.

I'm not sure it'll work at advertised, but if it does, it'll be awesome.

Keep track of our liveblog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101342-Liveblog-EA-2010-Press-Conference-E3] for more.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
John Funk said:
I challenge you and everyone else to an epic MMA fight.
Now, I just need a training montage.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Radeonx said:
John Funk said:
I challenge you and everyone else to an epic MMA fight.
Now, I just need a training montage.
I think I know just what we need...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Now taking bets on how many hours of censoring smack talk videos it'll take for EA to cancel the idea completely.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think it's counter-productive, encouraging a behavior I think should be being discouraged as it's one of the things that I actually think is hurting games and the perception of gamers in general.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Therumancer said:
I think it's counter-productive, encouraging a behavior I think should be being discouraged as it's one of the things that I actually think is hurting games and the perception of gamers in general.
Seconded.

Plus c'mon... the impression I'm getting is that EA wants to tell everyone that they can make it so you feel like you're in MLG or something. And public recorded smack talk videos? Horrible horrible, HORRIBLE idea.

I think they're underestimating the worst of the humanity when it comes to Xbox LIVE.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I got a feeling the Market for this is going to be very niche...

Low Key

May 7, 2009
So it's basically online business as usual then?

Outside of the expected immature name calling and racial slurs, it could be interesting hearing some of the witty things people come up with.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
It sound a lot like 1 vs. 100, a big show featuring people they pull from the audience, with real life commentary and such. I don't really like MMA tough so I think I'd like to see this kind of thing applied to other games.

As for the trash talk, its basically looks a place where people post videos on a web site, nothing innovative really, just some their suggesting you can do.

Feb 13, 2008
So, you're actually providing an outlet for people to call each other fags, and say how they've "done" everyone else's mum?

I reaffirm what I said in Shamus's article. Making money from people's bigotry? Just wow.