Summer of Arcade: We've Got Lara Croft and Castlevania

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010

Xbox Live's "Summer of Arcade" event is back, and this year's game lineup is a doozy.

For the third year in a row, Microsoft has announced its "Summer of Arcade" event for Xbox Live Arcade, showcasing some major downloadable games that will help gamers beat the heat. The event is set to start in July and has what is arguably its biggest lineup of titles yet, including a new Castlevania game that is sure to have fans drooling.

Konami's Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is a return to the 2D action/platforming/puzzle-solving Castlevania gameplay so many of us grew up with, but it will also include multiplayer support for up to six players. The game is reportedly going to feature some massive levels inspired by those seen in the titles like Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. No price for the game has been announced, though it probably is safe to assume that somewhere between 800-1200 Microsoft Points will be the going rate.

Of course, Harmony of Despair isn't the only big-name title coming to XBLA in July. The promotion will also feature <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98922-New-Lara-Croft-Title-is-Not-Tomb-Raider>Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, a new downloadable title from Crystal Dynamics that will sell for 1200 MS Points. The game is set to include multiplayer play and a "new (to the series) isometric perspective."

Microsoft Game Studios, meanwhile, will be publishing <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99483-PAX-East-2010-Hands-On-Limbo>Limbo, the eerie (yet apparently lovely) puzzle platformer developed by PlayDead Studios, also for 1200 points.

The final two titles announced are Hydro Thunder Hurricane, a remake of the beloved boat-racing title from Midway Games and Monday Night Combat, "a third-person shooter that plays like a game show."

Just about all of these games sound like great additions to one's Xbox Live Arcade library. <a href=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179863>Harmony of Despair is going to be on display at E3, so be sure to check out The Escapist's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010>coverage of the show from the floor for updates.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28960/E3_XBLAs_Summer_Of_Arcade_Returns_With_Lara_Croft_Limbo.php>Gamasutra

<a href=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179863>Image

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
*Reads about Hydro Thunder Hurricane*

*Head explodes*

HELL YES! I love Hydro Thunder! I've spent a fortune on the arcade game, it's the best racing thing since... Mario Kart! It's fantastic!

Oh and Castlevania sounds pretty great too. This is going to be a great summer!

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
The isometric Tomb Raider game had me excited; I think games like Diablo and Torchlight have dug a massive soft spot for isometric games. I've never played a Castlevania game before, but I'll check that one out too.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Not a bad line up at all! Plus Timb Raider thrown into the mix makes it oh the more sweet!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I'm looking forward to Hydro Thunder Hurricane the most. Hydro Thunder was awesome. "Hyydrooooo THUNderrrrrrrr!"

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be entirely honest, I am a bit miffed.

I remember a couple of years back when the cost of "Braid" was a big point of discussion and it was basically argued that it was a singular exception for an unusual, small press game with a high production value. People let this go, and now I've noticed a general creep in Arcade prices ever since where it seems more and more games are going for 1200 or so points... a massive price creep that I think happened simply because gamers were willing to tolerate it so many times.

When I look at things like this new Castlevania game, I admit it does seem like it will be a nice little game, but most of the arguements that had been made in defense of games like "Braid" and other titles developed by indie developers don't seem to apply. I very much doubt this game is being independantly developed by a small team of guys who bought the liscence for example.

Just my thoughts, I for one will have to think long and hard about whether I want to support titles for this price, and I'd actually suggest other gamers do the same.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
...Is that Soma Cruz in the pic? Please let it be Soma, I thought Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow were the best Castlevania games.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Mstrswrd said:
...Is that Soma Cruz in the pic? Please let it be Soma, I thought Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow were the best Castlevania games.
Alucard and Shanoa are in the picture too, it's just some general Castlevania picture. While on the topic, Aria of Sorrow rocked, whereas Dawn of Sorrow was horrible. Only Portrait of Ruin was worse of the DS ones. Order of Ecclesia however, was absolutely amazing.

Please let it be something with Shanoa.
I liked Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow...
I'll admit Dawn of Sorrow wasn't quite up to standard Castlevania quality, but it was still pretty damn good.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Therumancer said:
Just my thoughts, I for one will have to think long and hard about whether I want to support titles for this price, and I'd actually suggest other gamers do the same.
Yeh, I often find myself hesitant to fork out that many points for an Arcade game. Just as well, none of these games really leap out the monitor at me.

Coincidentally, it's only just that they've halved the price of stuff like Shadow Complex that I might consider them now. Patience does have its rewards.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Zeromaeus said:
Psychosocial said:
Mstrswrd said:
Alucard and Shanoa are in the picture too, it's just some general Castlevania picture. While on the topic, Aria of Sorrow rocked, whereas Dawn of Sorrow was horrible. Only Portrait of Ruin was worse of the DS ones. Order of Ecclesia however, was absolutely amazing.

I liked Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow...
I'll admit Dawn of Sorrow wasn't quite up to standard Castlevania quality, but it was still pretty damn good.
Dawn of Sorrow had some insanely bad touch screen use, that's mostly what dragged it down for me. I don't like Soma Cruz either, nor anyone else in the games cast aside from that Belmont. Portrait of Ruin had like 4 areas total, and you even returned to identical areas at some points of the game. The fact that Jonathan and Charlotte are shitty characters don't make it better. Death was too much of a pussy in the game as well.

Order of Ecclesia on the other hand, a very solid story, good characters, I really liked Albus, and it wasn't fucking anime styled.
Albus Mode is awesome.
You make very good points. Ecclesia also happens to be my favorite DS title in the Castlevania series, but the boss attack mode disappointed me. The rewards were... lacking.

Jun 13, 2010
Psychosocial said:
Mstrswrd said:

Well, it could have all 3 of them in it. If it has multiplayer for up to 6 players then maybe you'll get to choose between different characters from previous Castlevanias. Which would be really cool since I thought the concept behind Castlevania Judgment was really cool, but the game was kinda bleh.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Mstrswrd said:

Let's not forget that Symphony of the Night was one of the greatest Castlevania games ever made too :) Looks like there's something for everyone there, can't wait to don the mantle of Alucard once more :D

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Halyah said:
Castlevania makes me happy, but the fact that it's only available on XBLA pisses me off massively since I can't access it. Bleh good and bad news in the same package.
How come you can't access it? If you're posting on a forum, surely you're on a decent internet connection?

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
vansau said:

The final two titles announced are Hydro Thunder Hurricane, a remake of the beloved boat-racing title from Midway Games and Monday Night Club, "a third-person shooter that plays like a game show."
Monday Night Club? It's Monday Night Combat by Uber Entertainment and I'll grant it's a 3rd person shooter but it probably deserves a bit more than a tiny mention as an aside from Hydro Thunder, an already beloved title reboot. Probably should take a moment to cross check facts if you're pulling from Gamasutra.