E3 2010: Mafia 2 Hands-on

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3 2010: Mafia 2 Hands-on

Like many open-world games, Goodfellas [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77971]. I got to playthrough a mission from start to finish in a demo at the 2K Games booth.

A fellow hitman asks Vito and his friend to help him with a contract to kill a portly individual. Starting out in Vito's apartment, I'm pleasantly surprised with the little things. You can turn the faucet on and off. You can pop open the fridge and grab a sandwich or a soda. And the flagship feature, Mafia 2 has a deal with Playboy to have collectible vintage magazine scattered throughout the world. There's one in your apartment and picking it up gives you a glimpse of some starlet from the era. Hope Mom's not watching you play...

Hitting the garage gives you a choice of what car to drive. The vehicles feel real, even if I'm not enough of a vintage car junkie to know if the details are accurate. I pick a car and start exploring the world on my way to the apartment that we've staked out to take down the fat man. Even though the city is not specifically based on a real city, it definitely has elements of New York City, from the Brooklyn Bridge to building that suspiciously looks like the Empire State.

But this isn't GTA's Liberty City. Everything moves at much slower pace, from the pedestrians to the traffic to the cable cars. Even my car never accelerated much faster than snail's pace. It may be true to the 50s lifestyle, but part of me wished that I could step on it to get to the action.

At the stakeout, we get some color from the other hitman. He was born in Sicily and fled to America because of Mussolini, while his father died in jail back in the homeland. It's a harrowing tale, but one throwaway line makes me doubt the veracity. "The accent's coming along really well." Is this guy telling the truth or blowing smoke up Vito's ass? My loyalty was tested, just like a mafia movie.

The mission let me use some combat mechanics and the guns in the game. You start out blasting away from the apartment window with a machine gun, but then you have to abandon it to run into a distillery chasing after your portly quarry. The factory is full of enemies, and you have to use the cover system to survive their tommy gun fire. Hitting "A" hides behind any obstacle or doorway, while the left trigger allows you to pop out to fire. An established chokepoint with two guys blowing away with tommies cannot be charged or you'll get cut down. Your friend tells you to flank em, and that's exactly what you have to do to take em out and pilfer their guns. The demo was difficult the first time through, but once you know where the guys are coming from, it gets a little easier.

The mission ended with the fat man taking a pot shot at the hit man's leg, and you have to rush him to the mafia doctor, "El Greco," in your car. Cops are on your tail though, and soon the three of you are trapped on an overpass with nowhere to run to. I was anticipating a climax of jumping the car off the bridge, but a "To Be Continued" title card was shown instead. Always leave them wanting more, I guess.

Mafia 2 feels like the mob movies that we all love to watch, which I'm sure is intentional. Gameplay seems just like your standard open world shooter, but here the devil is in the details. And the details are awesome, from Playboy playmates to running water to the random racial slurs of the time.

In one section of the mission, you're riding an elevator and your friend takes a swig from one of the liquor bottles that the distillery produces. "Drinking on the job," Vito says. "Since when did you turn Irish?" It's offensive and racist, but it felt straight out of the movies.

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
It sounds pretty good, but the first one was pretty average to me.
Hopefully I'll see more that will convince me to get it.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Hm... Did it still have the speed limiter? If you don't have to drive the speed limit, it's not really Mafia ;)

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Didn't they play this level at some other game convention? I am almost certain I found footage of this specific mission on Youtube somewhere at least a few months ago.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. Looks like they are moving in a good direction! I bet finished product will be pretty sweet

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Radeonx said:
Hopefully I'll see more that will convince me to get it.
I was underwhelmed with the first Mafia, though my sources say that the PC version was far superior to the Xbox's (which I had been playing on) so that might be why I didn't have the best experience.

This one, however, looks to be much better, and akin to a really good mobster movie. Let's just hope they can carry this momentum and deliver the gameplay to match, and we may have a smash hit on (or in, amirite?) our hands.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Still really looking forwards to this game, absolutely loved (and love) the original and the additions on this one seem to revolve the problems the first had. So long as they keep the stuff that made it great - realistic everything yet still fun - I'll be first in line for it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Radeonx said:
Someone get me some firewood, I'll bring the matches and lighter fluid.

OT: I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT. The first game is, as everyone apart from the quoted chap knows, the best game EVAR.

Sturmdolch said:
Hm... Did it still have the speed limiter? If you don't have to drive the speed limit, it's not really Mafia ;)
I think they took the limiter off (they might have kept it for the PC version), but you'll still get stopped for speeding, although you can go a few miles over.

God, I cannot wait for this - it's been so long!

Oh, and a warning to the person that reviews this game: if you dare (DARE) compare the 2 Mafia games to GTA and try to find common ground between the two series I will cut out your soul.

And feed it to my cat.

Apr 29, 2010
The time I spent on the first Mafia felt severely lacking. Then again, it was a PS2 port. From what I've read, this one might be able to pull me in better than the last game.