E3 2010: Sonic Colors

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 2010: Sonic Colors

Spin a lot. Then spin some more!

Like death and taxes, the eternal revolutions of Sonic are a true constant in this world. Largely unchanged since its original appearance two decades ago, Sonic's bumper-bouncing, crazy-spinning, coin-collecting antics are still driving the development of new platform titles. This year's E3 gave us the chance to see Sonic Colors [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78148], the new game from Takashi Izuka.

The gimmick this time around is that Sonic will collect powers associated with different colors. You see, Eggman has collected various planetoids and tied them together into a sort of incredible interstellar amusement park. The problem is that he hasn't bothered to consider the feelings of the multi-colored Wisps, the inhabitants of these kidnapped worlds. Now Sonic, out of the apparent goodness of his heart, has decided to help the Wisps.

The game uses all the Sonic moves you've already mastered in Sonic Unleashed [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=70839], from boosts to homing attacks. This time around, you can absorb the power of Wisps to unleash powerful laser attacks or drill through the ground beneath you. It's possible to play the game without these powers (and you'll even have to complete certain portions of the game before you can gain access to certain powers), but the idea is to give players a reason to come back and replay levels using the new powers to explore previously inaccessible areas.

We saw two areas: a tropical world where Sonic had to fight a giant Ferris Wheel monster, and a bizarre candy factory where he had to fight, I don't know ... diabetes. The basic gameplay is built around the Sonic principles of racing around ramps and loops collecting coins and avoiding obstacles and enemies. It was nice to see the camera switch freely from a traditional side-scrolling perspective and a behind-the-character perspective.

Sonic Colors is due out for the holidays and will be coming in two different versions, one for the Wii and one for the DS, with unique levels and powers for each.

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Jul 22, 2009
This is probably going to suck... and I'm still probably going to try it out in the vague hope that maybe it doesn't suck as much as it will.

Feb 4, 2010
The DS version might not be so bad. The one place Sonic hasn't sucked in the last decade is the handhelds. The Wii... Ehhh there's not much to say about that. Their track record isn't exactly stellar. My stance is that I won't care about sonic on the big three consoles unless it gets surprisingly good reviews.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Did someone say...Diabetus?

Looking solid so far, the videos will be the make and break for me, however.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
the ds vesion is 2d so thats good, but in all the rush that is the holiday season I dont know if it will stick out. still could we get a video of that lovely pixle art.

My1stLuvJak

Jan 28, 2010
I think I'll be downloading Sonic 3 & Sonic and Knuckles on VC, before I get excited about this. I've never played the two together (using the lock-in), so I think I owe it to myself, and sonic, to take it for a spin.

Sonic Rush wasn't nearly as much fun as I've always found Sonic 2 to be - I've avoided looking at the other entries since buying the first of the Rush series. The early Sonic entries, in my estimation, haven't been topped, yet. Maybe this new one will be different, though! Like everyone else, I'm not going to hold my breath...a new Sonic game!? What!! We haven't seen one since last month! Lol

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
My1stLuvJak said:
I think I'll be downloading Sonic 3 & Sonic and Knuckles on VC, before I get excited about this. I've never played the two together (using the lock-in), so I think I owe it to myself, and sonic, to take it for a spin.
Yes. Do. But the only real way to finish it is to beat the game with all the Super Emeralds, therefore unlocking Hyper Sonic. Hope you have fun with S3&K, I certainly have.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ill look out for the DS one. Could be fun just for a little play about with

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
Ferris Wheel monster - is that the thing in the screenshot above? Because that guy looks like Sinistar a lot more than any Ferris wheel I ever saw.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
BigBoote66 said:
Ferris Wheel monster - is that the thing in the screenshot above? Because that guy looks like Sinistar a lot more than any Ferris wheel I ever saw.
Perfect! It fits with his quotes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-XEINagmaU

Imagine Sonic running at full speed from Sinistar now.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I think the DS version is already an insta-buy for me, and if the Wii version is truly like Unleashed's day stages, you can count me in on that, too.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Am I the only one who wants a 3D Sonic a la Sonic Adventure 1 / 2 with almost only Sonic-Style Level?
I really love(d) those and think the gameplay was so much fun. Now I always see rather boring 3D passages with a lot of 2D mixed in.

Urgh, Sega never gets it right :/

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Well, I've played Sonic Rush, and I quite liked how that played, so I think more 2D Sonic on DS would be good. I'm just wondering how different the DS version will be from the Wii version, and which will be better. Of course, there's always the possibility that Sega succeeds in once again bringing up everbody's hopes and optimism for good Sonic games, only to send them crashing back down in a whirlwind of fury and despair. Let's hope this will be the exception.

Also, the word "colour" has a U in it; you might want to fix that heading. [/European elitism]
*scuttles off*

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
Wow...
Planetoids? where in the great galaxy did they pluck this idea from???
hah, sonic. I wonder why anybody ever cared in the first place...