William Shatner Making Documentary About Himself

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
William Shatner Making Documentary About Himself

The original Star Trek captain thinks you need to get to know him a little better.

William Shatner has been accused of having a big ego in the past, but now he's taking it to the next level by directing and executive producing a documentary about himself. The documentary, which has a working title of The Captains, will look at Shatner's early life in Canada and his rise to fame as Captain James T. Kirk in the original series of Star Trek.

The Captains is a joint production between Shatner's production company Melis Productions, Ballinran Productions, and western Canada's Movie Central channel. The Captains is scheduled to begin production next month, for broadcast in winter 2011.

I have to admit, if this was anyone other than William Shatner, I'd be rolling my eyes pretty hard now, but somehow, for him, this seems like a perfectly reasonable move. I can't decide if I want it to be unintentionally hilarious, or just informative, but either way, I'm kind of curious about seeing it.

Source: Sci-Fi Wire [http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/shatner-plans-to-direct-a.php]

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
I have to admit, if this was anyone other than William Shatner, I'd be rolling my eyes pretty hard now, but somehow, for him, this seems like a perfectly reasonable move. I can't decide if I want it to be unintentionally hilarious, or just informative, but either way, I'm kind of curious about seeing it.
My thoughts exactly. I think Shatner is probably savvy enough to camp it up, he's been working that angle brilliantly for ages now. It certainly sounds interesting at any rate.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Not like people don't make auto-biographies. Plus I dont think Shatner really is full of himself, atleast not now.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
This can ONLY be good. ONLY!

hope he tries to claim that his Star Trek Novels (the one where they didnt kill Kirk off) are actually Canon and not the official ones Long Live Emperor Tiberius!

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Maybe then he will answer the question bothering us all...

Why is he climbing a mountain?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
I can think of one, and only one other person who could pull this off and that's Bruce Campbell.

On that note this is a perfectly Shatner thing for Shatner to do, and I don't think anyone who knows anything about Shatner would be the least bit surprised. Why? He's Shatner!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This man loves to love himself. He's a pompous ass but I like him because of that. Go for it Mr. Shatner

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
I am... William Shatner. Iammakingadocumentary... About myself.

Oh dear. He should have called it "Shatner's Ego Trip" or something.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Maybe then he will answer the question bothering us all...

Why is he climbing a mountain?
To hug the mountain. To envelope that mountain.

I would totally watch a Shatner documentary by Shatner. The more he's involved, the better it will be.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Anytime I hear anything about Shatner my mind always goes back to this song he did:

I don't know why but I think this song is awesome. Rollins and Shatner make an interesting duo.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
There's a select few people who know they're awesome, and embracing that knowledge somehow doesn't make them assholes, there's Shatner, and Bruce Campbell, and maybe a few others.

There's something about them that makes it hard to hate them even tho most people acting like that would come across as intensely annoying.

For an example of the opposite, Simon Cowell, he knows what a success he's been, but doesn't seem to realise how many people dislike his success being rooted in destroying music, warping it into some kind of blurry vapid nonsense. He comes across as utterly convinced that the world loves him tho, which only makes me want to beat in his skull with a tire iron even more.

(BTW is tire iron an american thing? somehow tyre iron doesn't look right, and I don't drive, do we call it something else here in the UK? Screw it I'll use a crowbar)

I guess I'm saying it takes a special kinda someone to display the level of self confidence that he does and not instantly turn the world against him. I also think that in part, he's making himself into a parody of himself, there's the real him, then there's 'Shatner' the actor, the lounge singer, the Henry Rollins collaborator, the orator with the strange... pauses.

James Sullivan

May 23, 2010
How is Star Trek V not canon
Revelo said:
James Sullivan said:
Wait a minute. Shatner already did a biopic. Star Trek V.
Which is non-cannon.
How can it be not canon, it proved what every trekkie knows in a fight between God and Kirk always bet on the Captain.

Mar 30, 2010
Ugh. That man's ego is truly cringe-worthy. I've seen documentaries before about the rise and rise of Kirk and Star Trek, always from a point of view of the entire cast, and it's amazing how they all have a different take on events when compared to Shatner. I'm assuming this documentary will just be shameless self-promotion and ego-hugging. Not for me, thanks.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I feel actually intrigued by this, I mean I really want to see this just to see whether it's a normal documentary or if shatner just went crazy with it. Heres hoping it's just plain insane.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I love William Shatner. With James Spader, he made Boston Legal the show it was.

Offtopic:
Demon ID said:
I love your avatar so much I wanna take it back behind the middle school and get it pregnant.