Nintendo: There's Still Life in the Wii

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo: There's Still Life in the Wii

Don't hold your breath for a replacement for the Wii any time soon.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata believes that the Wii still has plenty of life left in it, and the company is not planning to release a successor in the near future. Speaking to Reuters [http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN1615695520100616], Iwata said: "I do not think that there is an immediate need to replace the Wii console. But of course, at some point in the future, the need will arise ... [But] we currently do not have an answer as to what point in the future that need will come."

"When we first launched the DS and the Wii, very few people thought that we would have the success that we have had so far. Because of that, Nintendo had no choice but to try to create that market for those two platforms ourselves. So when that time comes (for us to release a new platform) and we are able to garner third-party support coupled with our own properties, we will be able to create a very healthy environment for that platform."

With new Zelda, Kirby and Donkey Kong games announced at Nintendo's E3 Press Conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101374-E3-2010-From-the-Nintendo-Press-Conference], not to mention a updated version of the N64 classic Goldeneye, there's plenty to be excited about on the Wii, so it's hardly surprising that Nintendo isn't planning to retire it. I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to put my Wii out to pasture just yet.

Source: Reuters [http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN1615695520100616] via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5565754/nintendo-says-theres-no-immediate-need-to-replace-the-wii]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think it has life in it, and, can still run fine...its just market share it needs to watch out for

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
I agree, I can see this generation of consoles lasting for several more years. Zeldaaaa <3

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I agree with this statement. The Wii at least has another one-and-a-half years of life in it.

Recron

Professional Procrastinator
Jun 10, 2010
I agree The wii does have alot of life left in it. I just hope it doesnt try to out live the atari 2600

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
I'm glad they're not making a new console. My girlfriend and I got a Wii only last Christmas, so its long lifespan is a major reason for happiness within my soul!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's more powerful then we give it credit for. It just needs to be used properly...

It's all about the style. It can't do "realistic", but stuff like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, Okami, Mario Galaxy, and Red Steel 2 look amazing.

As for non-graphics lifespan...well...the PS2 still has the occasional game coming out for it, so the Wii can certainly last a few more years.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Hopefully, being a massive success this generation will garner more support from pre-launch on so they know what they are doing with it sooner and Nintendo isn't supporting the dang thing themselves with only sparce 3rd party titles that really shine, but go nowhere.

Not likely though. This has always been the case. Of course 3DS is getting a lot of support this time.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Thats not life. Thats the horse's internal organs violently exploding and liquefying as a result of accelerated decomposition.

But, sure, its got a while before its a bleached skeleton. I mean, six actual games is about as much as the PC platform gets per year. Not counting all the indie stuff.
I agreed with you up until that exceptionally stupid last comment that I've helpfully highlighted for you.

OT: Maybe they could try actually supporting 3rd party developers; my Wii was dead to me after owning it for 2 months, and I'm sure that would have helped maintain my interest for a little longer.

It just feels so outdated, and the controls are very rarely as good as you'd hope/expect/want/need them to be. Christ, has anyone seen the Goldeneye remake? It looks like it's only a few years younger than the original.

Demoliboy2

Dec 21, 2009
Of course it still has life, you just unloaded 5 CPR curses on it this E3.

Still, i can see a new Nintendo Console being shown next year's E3 or TGS, maybe with a Star Fox or F-Zero as headliners?

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I looked on the shelf for Wii games in my local gaming store...

Only kids games... I'm not trying to troll, there were ONLY children games on those shelfs. Well, that and "exercise" games..

The customer circuit is getting thinner and thinner as we speak.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Why would Nintendo be looking to replace the Wii when its still outselling its rivals so convincingly? I suspect that Microsoft will likely be the first console manufacturer to announce a new console, and I don't think that'll happen for at least another couple of years, there's plenty of life in this generation yet.