Ocarina of Time's Water Temple Won't Suck in 3DS Remake

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ocarina of Time's Water Temple Won't Suck in 3DS Remake

The director of the beloved Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [http://www.gamefly.com/game/gamecube/Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time/105515/] wants to use the upcoming 3DS remake to fix a flaw in the game he's lived with for twelve years: the infamous Water Temple.

Many gamers have fond memories of the 1998 classic Ocarina of Time, and many of those fond memories abruptly end at the Water Temple. The Water Temple is, for many, the low point of the legendary Zelda: It's long and it's annoying - particularly on first playthroughs - because constantly raising and lowering the water level (and constantly equipping and unequipping the Iron Boots) is just a pain in the neck.

During a roundtable discussion at E3 2010, Nintendo's guru Shigeru Miyamoto explained that he had yanked Eiji Aonuma off of another project to help direct Ocarina of Time, and that the designer had one regret about working on the title: "He does have from that time one horrible memory that's lasted with him for a long time, that he would like to try to put to rest and make amends for," said Miyamoto.

"You've all played the Water Temple?" inquired Aonuma. "How many people thought, boy that was really tough? I've lived with that for the last ten odd years," he explained, according to Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/zelda_oots_water_temple_fixed_on_3ds.html].

"But with Nintendo 3DS we have touch screen. One of the things I think was problematic or maybe troublesome for you when you were playing through the Water Temple was the fact that you had to take the iron boots off, put them back on, take them off, put them back on ... what I'd like to do is lay this evil shame I have to rest by implementing the touch screen in such a way that it makes it very natural and smooth and easy to put those iron boots on and take them off."

While I think that Aonuma-san might be going a little bit overboard by calling a slightly irritating part of an otherwise amazing game an "evil shame," it's good to hear that Nintendo will be looking to make the infamous Water Temple less of a pain in the ass.

And yes, this does pretty much confirm that the 3DS Ocarina of Time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101392-Nintendo-Remaking-Legendary-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-For-3DS] is real, and not just a tech demo. Let there be rejoicing.

Videogamer has a full transcript [http://www.videogamer.com/wii/the_legend_of_zelda_skyward_sword/preview-2425.html] of the Zelda: Skyward Sword roundtable, and if you're a fan of the series it's a very interesting read.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I'm glad when developers do this. If you're going to remake a game, at least do the proper thing and make it better. The advancements made in game design over the years since the game was released should be applied to it. There's no reason to carry around portions of a game that are clearly flawed just for the sake of nostalgia.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Excellent. I get to play the game people won't shut up about and it's probably a better version. Now I must get my money ready for the 3DS.

Calumon: I don't get it, how does the 3DS work? No glasses plus Three Dee equals my head hurting!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I'm with Internet Kraken on this one, I'm glad tey're going to make the game better with this remake. It should be a ball.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Am I the only person in the World that didn't have a problem with the Water Temple?.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I didn't think the Water temple was that bad. Then again, I've always been a patient gamer. Those small details didn't not concern me.

If they're going to fix it, great. I wouldn't mind if they didn't though.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
yayyy remaaake...wait 3DS? nvm
lol I need to stop caring about my childhood Nintendo games cuz they're all on the Wii now
time to dust off the N64 and GameCube

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Personally, I felt that the Water Temple they made in the Master Quest remake was actually easier, so I'm forced to conclude that the iron boots were, in fact, the biggest problem of the temple.

I had heard that the designer was kind of ashamed of that design aspect. Good to hear he gets the chance to ease his conscience (especially in a way that benefits me!).

hamsterkilla

Battlefield veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Well i'm quite excited about this my old copy of ocarina of time stopped working a long time ago and I haven't been able to play it since. So a new revamped ocarina is just what i'm looking for.

I think I might actually bite the bullet and buy me a handheld system, this along with the other games they have shown makes me very happy. Not to mention the 3d with no glasses is kinda neat.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Am I the only person in the World that didn't have a problem with the Water Temple?.
Nope, I thought it was great! Deviously difficult compared to the other dungeons, yes, but I liked that. Be honest; how long did you run around before you found the key hidden underneath the block that rises with the water inside the central column of the main room? That was the point where I got stuck. It was smooth sailing after that. Plus, it had one of the best encounters in the game with Shadow Link! That room had such incredible atmosphere to it, with the endless foggy lake effect.

The constant swapping of the iron boots was annoying though, and if that's the main thing we can fix with the touch screen, bring it on. I have no problem with the design of the dungeon itself; it's just the item swapping that was annoying.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
The problem with the water temple wasn't just the iron boots, the problem was that it was loooooong, and because of the way you had to go to completely different rooms to change the water to different levels, if you wanted to go back to certain places you basically had to go through the entire temple all over again, and there was an easily missed key in one of those places.

I actually don't know anybody offline that didn't ragequit at the water temple, including some normally very patient people.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
At least it gave a challenge... And I though the water temple was one of the most "Temple-esque" dungeons of the game. Though I do admit to never defeating Shadow Link without a little help from Din...

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
but im the patient type, i'm okay with the hassles of that temple, and i pretty much dont care about them anymore

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
FargoDog said:
ColdStorage said:
Nope, I don't recall having any troubles with it and I was pretty young on my first playthrough. I kinda wish they would keep it in to be honest..
yep pretty much. the world could use a little patience.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: I don't get it, how does the 3DS work? No glasses plus Three Dee equals my head hurting!
Magic. And something with the two cameras. Mostly magic though.

I'm one of the few people who actually liked the puzzles of the Water Temple and didn't have too much trouble with it on my first playthrough, so I hope the changes won't affect the level design itself.

JopperJopJop

Apr 1, 2010
Mutie said:
At least it gave a challenge... And I though the water temple was one of the most "Temple-esque" dungeons of the game. Though I do admit to never defeating Shadow Link without a little help from Din...
Uhh I use the Megaton Hammer.

OT: This is cool I guess.

Wolfe-KuPo

Jan 1, 2010
What is so hard about the Water Temple? I have been through it atleast 20 times and I never had trouble with it.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Nope, I don't get why everyone hates it either. Yes, it has more annoyances than most dungeons (iron boots, anyone?), but it's not the brain-destroyer people say it is.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Nintendo's remaking the Water Temple?

now they're becoming true heroes.