E3 2010: True Crime: Hong Kong

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 2010: True Crime: Hong Kong

The creators of ModNation Racers show off their reboot of the True Crime franchise.

You may think you know a bit about True Crime [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76702] already, but United Front Games' reboot of the franchise is being reshaped with some very particular goals in mind. The new game takes place in the city of Hong Kong, where East meets West and massive modern skyscrapers stand beside old world fish markets. This unique fusion allows for a great deal of variety in terms of location and mood and helps, it's hoped, to place the city as sort of the central character of the game. It's worked well for locations like Vice City and San Andreas in the past and that seems to be the approach United Front Games is taking.

While driving and vehicle combat is a big part of the game, it's equally important that the game be fun on foot. Not only does the game use martial arts moves and a system of grapples and counters, but it also gives players the chance to use a Parkour-inspired free running system that nicely recreates the feel of classic cop chases like those in Se7en [http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Five-Disc-Complete-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B000UBMWG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277995514&sr=8-1].

True Crime also includes a social system based around the concept of 'face' or reputation. Your face level is determined by your decisions and actions throughout the game; you lose face, for instance, for accidentally killing civilians, but you can gain it for pulling off cool Parkour moves. Your face level will affect how (and even which) NPCs will react to you, which missions you can access, and even how well you perform certain skills.

You'll be playing as undercover cop Wei Shen. Wei Shen was raised in San Francisco after his family fled Hong Kong following some unnamed tragedy. Now Wei Shen is back in Hong Kong, working undercover to infiltrate the Triad. We saw one level where Wei Shen was tasked with collecting a debt for the Triad. The sequence consisted of a few lengthy chases through the markets of Hong Kong with Wei Shen using his Parkour techniques to avoid obstacles and close the distance with his target.

Periodically, the target would lead Wei Shen into confrontations with other gang members. The combat in the game looked fairly similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Playstation-3/dp/B001E8VB6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277995609&sr=1-1], which isn't a bad thing. Timing your counters when you see enemies getting ready to attack is about the only way to handle fights against multiple opponents. Grappling plays a big role as well, and you'll be able to smash enemies into nearby obstacles and even toss them off of roofs.

True Crime's pedigree is fairly obvious, but that shouldn't be a surprise considering the experience that developers have had with other successful open-world games. The gameplay seems to have all the elements in place, so we're hoping that the story and content also delivers.

Keep track of all our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Hopefully it will be a good game, sounds like it will be from what I just read. In my opinion I liked the first one better than the second one. I liked how in the first one if you failed a mission it would allow you to continue and not make you restart the mission.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Does this mean that I can finally fulfill my dream of running across rooftops jumping between buildings well helicopters try to catch me. All well the wind whips my face forcing the discarded smiley pin from my grenade up to the helicopter and pressed against its window to the confusion of the pilots.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Glad to see series is getting a revamp! Loved LA so I hope I will love this too!

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I would have preferred Tokyo over Hong Kong, but no doubt it'll be really cool regardless. I was amazed at how accurate the devs got the city scale in the first game with a place as big as LA. The gameplay was a little wonky back then, but I have to imagine they've improved it.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'm quite excited for this - True Crime is a series with massive wasted potential. It does a lot of cool things but does none of them well. If they release a game on its model that actually works, it'll be perfect.

I just hope they don't do away with the random crimes, since Mr. Shen is apparently 'undercover'. That was the best part, and if you play Streets of LA enough you'll realize it's got quite some depth, with different criminals reacting differently to you. I hope they bring it back well. (Until then, I'll be playing FUZZ on Saint's Row. Pirates versus ninjas!)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
One of my favourite parts of Streets of LA was hearing Christopher Walken sing. Didn't much like the forced hand to hand scenes, always wanted to do an Indian Jones bit where they do all that kung-fu jumping around to show off and then I just shoot them.

I hope Hong Kong is just as much fun as LA was.

og loc

Jun 17, 2010
gof22 said:
Hopefully it will be a good game, sounds like it will be from what I just read. In my opinion I liked the first one better than the second one. I liked how in the first one if you failed a mission it would allow you to continue and not make you restart the mission.

agree wit that

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Being a resident of Hong Kong, I am really anticipating the release of this game. It's the first free-roaming game to be set in Hong Kong, and from the looks of the gameplay video, it's going to be awesome.
Plus, with Portal 2 pushed back to 2011, that leaves only this game and Civilization V on my list.