The Closest Thing To a Lightsaber Now For Sale

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Closest Thing To a Lightsaber Now For Sale

A new laser pointer is the closest thing we've ever seen to someone actually creating a lightsaber, and the device is a lot cheaper than you might think.

Ever since Star Wars first took moviegoers by surprise, people have been dreaming of owning their very own lightsabers. While the general public was assured that such technology might be possible in the distant future, it seems that "the distant future" actually translates to "33 years down the line" since a new laser pointer comes pretty close to the famed Jedi weapon's potential.

The Spyder III Pro Arctic, created and sold by Shanghai-based Wicked Lasers, is clearly meant to appeal to fans of George Lucas's films. The beam is about 1,000 times more powerful than the type found in a standard laser pointer, which is actually kind of dangerous.

This is a "Class 4" laser, which means it's far from a toy. According to Wikipedia, "by definition, a class-4 laser can burn the skin, in addition to potentially devastating and permanent eye damage as a result of direct or diffuse beam viewing. These lasers may ignite combustible materials, and thus may represent a fire risk."

Wicked Lasers admits that the beam from the Pro Arctic can cause severe and permanent damage to one's eyes, and anyone buying the gadget has to read and agree to a hazard warning before they can finalize the purchase.

<a href=http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html>The laser is available for $197.97, surprisingly less than one might expect to pay for what is - essentially - a portable industrial laser. On one hand, I totally want one of these things, for no other reason than for the novelty of owning it. On the other hand, I'm not exactly a fan of the idea that the jerks who use laser pointers to annoy people at concerts and movie theaters suddenly have affordable access to something that <a href=http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Lightsabres-Lasers-Compared-To-Star-Wars-Weapon-Sold-On-Web-To-The-UK/Article/201006315649563?lpos=World_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_5&lid=ARTICLE_15649563_Lightsabres:_Lasers_Compared_To_Star_Wars_Weapon_Sold_On_Web_To_The_UK>could potentially cause a plane crash.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
craddoke said:
Do not taunt the happy fun ball.
What's happy fun ball?

Yeah, this is just a nightmare waiting to happen just simply because of all the jerks and asses in the world today.

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
I know what I want for my birthday!

now I can have my sharks with frikkin laser beams!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
This is a reminder to all the people who are gonna say the forums ninja'd this.

[HEADING=1] THE MODS DONT GIVE A FUCK [/HEADING]

That is all.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
dalek sec said:
craddoke said:
What's happy fun ball?

Yeah, this is just a nightmare waiting to happen just simply because of all the jerks and asses in the world today.
Agreed.

But it would have been just as much of a nightmare 30, 40, or 2000 years ago, I think the amount of jerks has stayed fairly consistent over time.

Marik2 said:

That is all.
And that post was just as useless as the "Ninja'd" posts. Just saying; no offense.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I like the warnings.

It will cause irreversible damage to your eyes.
It will set your skin on fire.
It will give you cancer.

It sounds so safe.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
dalek sec said:
craddoke said:
What's happy fun ball?

A relevant Saturday Night Live skit (sounds like an oxymoron, right?)

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I smell a terrorist attack waiting to happen. I really do.

Calumon: I smell a new way to cook sossidges!

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
What was the planned use for this exactly? I mean other than giving squirrels cancer as a method of hunting them I don't really see why you would need one.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
One month later:

"The levels of blindness, skin cancer and burns have risen exponentially in the past month. Scientists are at a loss to explain why. We tried to interview one scientist calling himself Dr Insano and he had this to say: "No! The satellite was supposed to burn their skin right off! I used all the right SCIENCE(!) and it still didn't work!"."

AwesomeFerret

Apr 28, 2010
Wow... That's pretty epic. I gotta see what else these guys can do, maybe if they can make an actual lightsaber :p

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ok. Can someone please give an accurate description of HOW dangerous this actually is. It's not a lightsaber so I doubt you could cut someone in two. I know it will burn you, but I doubt you will spontaneously burn into flames.

Marik2 said:

Actually they do as I think a few people have been suspended or put on probation for continually saying that.