E3 2010: Okamiden Hands-On

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3 2010: Okamiden Hands-On

Like its protagonist Chibiterasu, Okamiden is just as lovely as the original ... only, y'know, smaller.

It's no secret that we at The Escapist are really excited about Okamiden, the scaled-down sequel to the incredibly lovely Okami. The brushstroke gameplay seemed like a natural fit for the DS stylus, and Chibiterasu is almost painfully adorable. From what I've played so far, our enthusiasm was well placed: Okamiden is a beautiful game that controls perfectly and maintains the ethereal aesthetic that made the first one so special.

Because you're just a pup, you're not as strong as a grownup goddess, but you'll meet plenty of helpers during your adventures. Your partner will ride on your back for fast travel and will also help you in a fight, but they're most useful when it comes to solving puzzles. One of the new brush techniques is Guidance, which lets you draw a path for your partner and lead them to a specific spot, such as a switch. Your partners are also children, so you'll have to work together to overcome obstacles, but you'll discover strengths you never knew you had as the game progresses.

Dropping into brush mode is extremely easy; simply hit one of the shoulder buttons, then use the stylus to draw what you need on the touch screen. Precise brush strokes were sometimes difficult to pull off using the PS2's thumbsticks, but the DS stylus makes it incredibly simple to trace specific shapes and designs. I really appreciated it whenever I used the Rejuvenation technique, which requires you to trace the outline of a missing area to recreate what should be there.

The Bloom technique, which restores dead trees, is important for increasing Chibiterasu's happiness, which helps her become stronger. I only got to sample a small portion of combat, which consisted of hitting the Y button to throw out my Sun Shield while trying to evade enemies, but it worked well. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear any of the music.

Perhaps what's most important is that the sumi-e art style that made Okami so beautiful and distinctive has been maintained perfectly in Okamiden. It feels like a genuine successor to the franchise, making the most of its diminutive status.

Okamiden [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77741] is scheduled for release in 2011.

Keep track of all our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
I was wondering when they were going to port/make an Okami for the DS. With the stylus it really seemed like the perfect fit.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Hrm... I never got to play the original. I've always wanted to, but I no longer have a PS2...

I guess this will have to do. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Aureli

Mar 8, 2010
Nimbus said:
Hrm... I never got to play the original. I've always wanted to, but I no longer have a PS2...

They remade the original for the wii, so you're not out of luck if you have one.

And I am so buying this game when it comes out.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
Damn, now I wish I still had my ds... or that my friend would return my copy of okami...

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Chibiterasu is freaking adorable. I cannot wait for this game! I loved the original to death, and the enhanced Wii port was awesome.

Dec 14, 2009
This will be my number 1 must get DS game for 2011. I loved the first game so hopefully, Okamiden will be just as awesome.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Awwwww! So cute! This will be so much fun if anything like the original! Adoreable~!

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
The promise of Okamiden and Golden Sun are in fact the reasons I got my DS to begin with. The two Zelda games were just perks :)

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I'm glad it's coming along well, I'll have to pick this up. The original Okami is a blast to play.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I love the style, I love the idea of the game, I love the mechanics... But Chibiterasu? I... rerrrr... oy. I mean, it's not even subtle, and this is a game that is otherwise built on subtle beauty and small details... It's a name I'd expect from a parody or something.

Nevertheless, I will have this game on release date.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Nimbus said:

Buy a PS2 and Okami. Believe me, it's worth it.