EA: PC is Becoming the World's Largest Gaming Platform

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] CFO Eric Brown says the advent of digital distribution has put the PC on track to becoming the "largest gaming platform in the world."

Consoles rule the roost when it comes to videogaming. Controllers have long surpassed keyboards and mice as the gamer's weapon of choice and leaning forward to stare at a monitor runs a very distant second to leaning back on a couch in front of a 52" HD television. The sales charts reflect that reality; when a PC game does make the top-ten it's usually either a niche market flash-in-the-pan or World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com].

Yet in its most recent quarterly earnings call, Eric Brown, Chief Financial Officer at EA, said the growing popularity of digital distribution has given the lowly PC a whole new level of prominence in the company's plans. Brown said the company's year-over-year numbers for digital distribution alone had nearly doubled to $80 million; EA's total "digital direct revenue" grew to $400 million in the previous fiscal year.

"This is a big year for us. The online part of our business is growing as much as 60% year over year," Brown said. "In terms of distribution, the way we look at a lot what's happening in the future is, we've got probably a billion PCs out there in the world. Very rapidly the PC is becoming the largest gaming platform in the world, just not in a packaged-good product."

"As you look at what that means in terms of distribution of product, we think that's incredibly exciting because it's going to open the market to new demographics, new countries and new types of gameplay," he said.

In other words, everybody has a PC; the tricky bit lies in converting people who can play games on their PCs into people who do. Digital distribution is tremendously important because a large part of that potential market would never consider popping into their local EB to see what's new, but handing over a few bucks to download and play something they saw online without having to even step outside the house is a different matter entirely. Consoles are hot stuff but PCs are everywhere and as my mom found out, whether or not we admit it or even know it, deep inside the heart of every PC owner lurks someone who really wants to blow stuff up.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58497]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
That's pretty strange, because ever since I was a kid, granted i started with a nintendo, but as soon as I got my first computer game it's always been about PC gaming for me. Console always lagged behind in second place. Consoles are great for certain types of games, but nothing beats the freedom you have on a PC.

Clirck

Mar 19, 2009
I actaually never owned console properly, like it wasn't mine never.
Yeah with PC you get more possibilities to enchance your gameplay.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I've dabbled with consoles and handhelds, but I will always use my PC for gaming.

Nowhere else do you get the range of experiences coupled with the best backwards compatability.

Without a PC, I would have missed out on so many FPS, RTS and RPG experiences.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Strange how this has come from EA, the company that 90% of PC gamers seem to hate :D

Also, I'd suggest that Valve/Steam have gone a fair way towards making PC's popular for gamers.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
wordsmith said:
Strange how this has come from EA, the company that 90% of PC gamers seem to hate :D

Also, I'd suggest that Valve/Steam have gone a fair way towards making PC's popular for gamers.
I find it easy enough to dislike both EA and also Valve/Steam and yet manage to be a PC gamer. Helps a little that I was a PC gamer before Valve existed, and before EA started absorbing everything it touched.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I wouldn't say it's because of EA that things are going well for the PC as a platform, but rather Valve and Steam. I mean for crying out loud, even I buy games from there once in a while (last was a few days ago when Left 4 Dead was on a 40% discount).

On the contrary, really. EA is, to me, taking the piss out on the PC as a platform.
Seems to me all they do is just pop out annoying DRM's that make you NOT want to get their stuff. Also, they make so much crap I can't even begin to describe it...
I'm just happy I sold my soul to Blizzard Entertainment instead. Mmmm... Starcraft...

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Andy_Panthro said:
wordsmith said:

I find it easy enough to dislike both EA and also Valve/Steam and yet manage to be a PC gamer. Helps a little that I was a PC gamer before Valve existed, and before EA started absorbing everything it touched.
I was a PC gamer before Valve as well, the first time I picked up a Valve game was the Orange Box, and they've done nothing but (to paraphrase) "piss lightning, shit success" for me since. EA's always been slightly dubious in my eyes, even Nintendo do *slight* re-writes between Mario and LoZ games, EA just seem to re-skin last years game and throw it to the public.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
wordsmith said:
I was a PC gamer before Valve as well, the first time I picked up a Valve game was the Orange Box, and they've done nothing but (to paraphrase) "piss lightning, shit success" for me since. EA's always been slightly dubious in my eyes, even Nintendo do *slight* re-writes between Mario and LoZ games, EA just seem to re-skin last years game and throw it to the public.
My trouble with Valve is based around not liking Steam, and not playing multiplayer games.

My problem with EA is they sit on a whole bunch of old games that they could either release via something like Good Old Games [http://www.gog.com], or that they could remake or make sequels for. Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood Studios all got swallowed.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
This is the smartest thing EA's ever said/done since they bought Maxis and said, "Will Wright could do whatever he wanted with the Maxis division." With the quality of console games becoming worse and worse, I turned to PC games to see if there were any with some substance. Shockingly, yes, there were games that kept me coming back to the computer.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
If you want to get more bling out of the PC market, stop making resource demanding games. I can't play ANYTHING made less then five years ago on max settings and I have what I consider an average machine - that is admittably 5 years old but money don't grow on no goddamn tree's and no one porkfeed me crap about building my own, I want to go somewhere and buy it so I can yell at someone if it breaks. I LOVE PC gaming and would love more quirky, fun, non-graphics intensive titles!

Repeat after me. If the game is good, the important of graphics decreases.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Uh, wasn't the pc always the biggest gaming platform? The main problem is just the problem of upgrading and occasional system crashes (mostly a problem with bad pc's and Fallout 3). Make the system requirements reasonable and do a better job than Bethesda at debugging it, and that iron's out the flaws.

All we need now is for EA to not make annoying DRM. Or push out crappy roster update and ruin good franchises by making development too fast. Or generally doing things to make gamers declare them the evil overlords they are.

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
Glefistus said:
Malygris said:

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] CFO Eric Brown says the advent of digital distribution has put the PC on track to becoming the "largest gaming platform in the world."

Consoles rule the roost when it comes to videogaming. Controllers have long surpassed keyboards and mice as the gamer's weapon of choice and leaning forward to stare at a monitor runs a very distant second to leaning back on a couch in front of a 52" HD television. The sales charts reflect that reality; when a PC game does make the top-ten it's usually either a niche market flash-in-the-pan or World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com].

Yet in its most recent quarterly earnings call, Eric Brown, Chief Financial Officer at EA, said the growing popularity of digital distribution has given the lowly PC a whole new level of prominence in the company's plans. Brown said the company's year-over-year numbers for digital distribution alone had nearly doubled to $80 million; EA's total "digital direct revenue" grew to $400 million in the previous fiscal year.

"This is a big year for us. The online part of our business is growing as much as 60% year over year," Brown said. "In terms of distribution, the way we look at a lot what's happening in the future is, we've got probably a billion PCs out there in the world. Very rapidly the PC is becoming the largest gaming platform in the world, just not in a packaged-good product."

"As you look at what that means in terms of distribution of product, we think that's incredibly exciting because it's going to open the market to new demographics, new countries and new types of gameplay," he said.

In other words, everybody has a PC; the tricky bit lies in converting people who can play games on their PCs into people who do. Digital distribution is tremendously important because a large part of that potential market would never consider popping into their local EB to see what's new, but handing over a few bucks to download and play something they saw online without having to even step outside the house is a different matter entirely. Consoles are hot stuff but PCs are everywhere and as my mom found out, whether or not we admit it or even know it, deep inside the heart of every PC owner lurks someone who really wants to blow stuff up.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58497]

Now I think Apple should take them over. That would be so ironic after them saying this.
rofl apple! :)

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Just when did consoles overthrow the PC as "largest gaming platform" anyway?

I guess I'm a little ignorant of something here. I've never owned a game console. I've never wanted one. I have never quite understood the concept of spending money on a computer you can only play games with, when you can own a computer you can do anything with.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Eruanno said:
I wouldn't say it's because of EA that things are going well for the PC as a platform, but rather Valve and Steam. I mean for crying out loud, even I buy games from there once in a while (last was a few days ago when Left 4 Dead was on a 40% discount).

On the contrary, really. EA is, to me, taking the piss out on the PC as a platform.
Seems to me all they do is just pop out annoying DRM's that make you NOT want to get their stuff. Also, they make so much crap I can't even begin to describe it...
I'm just happy I sold my soul to Blizzard Entertainment instead. Mmmm... Starcraft...
Though if EA's trend for stepping away from the foam flecked lips o the rabid dog that is SecuRom, over the top DRM and their apparent aim to produce new, original and better game IPs, then EA might be able to turn their image around from being one of the most hated developers/publishers to be even half way likeable.

Sure Dead Space is a chore to play through a second time but the original game was well worth the thirty I paid for it.

[Edit]

PC gaming will never die regardless whatever any console fanboy will say. Why? Because (almost) everyone has one and you can get great titles just as Bejewelled or my latest gaming addiction, Plants vs Zombies! Now, where did I leave my shovel?

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Glefistus said:
Now I think Apple should take them over. That would be so ironic after them saying this.

Oops, sorry, I accidentally quoted the giant article.
How exactly would it be ironic? They'd be being bought by a PC manufacturer, confirming the argument. And if one person tries to claim that a Mac isn't a PC, I swear someone will die. Macs are just a brand of PC that comes with a different OS. Saying they aren't PCs is like saying Dells or Compaqs aren't PCs.

Malygris said:
Consoles rule the roost when it comes to videogaming. Controllers have long surpassed keyboards and mice as the gamer's weapon of choice and leaning forward to stare at a monitor runs a very distant second to leaning back on a couch in front of a 52" HD television.
Bias much? I happen to prefer the higher definition I get from my monitor, and happen to lean back while playing games on the PC. I apologize if that wasn't meant to come across as biased, but it did.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
wordsmith said:
Steam is exactly what EA is talking about. Digital Distribution.

And to everyone who thinks PC's are bigger than consoles: PC is the largest single platform but consoles as a whole control more of the gaming market.