E3 2010: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Hands on

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3 2010: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Hands on

This is not your grandpappy's Castlevania, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

To me, the Castlevania of old was all about exploration and the gritty adventure-horror tropes of the classic Dracula and werewolf films. Like Metroid, I don't think that Castlevania needs to be a side-scrolling platforming game to be true to its roots, but I think that exploring the world and gaining new items over time is part of its charm. Lords of Shadow (LoS) is a so-called reboot of the franchise as a AAA action title, but I think that Konami might have been better off using a different name for this game. Calling it a Castlevania just because it features a Belmont and some werewolves feels cheap.

LoS is narrated by Sir Patrick Stewart, which is probably the best thing that it has going for it. The demo kicks off with the Shakespearan actor intoning a tale of woe and doom, or something. To be honest, I was too busy jumping up and down with glee that Jean-Luc Picard was talking to me to pay attention to what he was saying. A storybook filled with olde English style script accompanies the opening monologue, setting the scene in the dark ages. The book motif carries through the game's menus and UI, new abilities are added to your book and so forth.

The portion of LoS that I got to play starts with a black cloaked man riding a horse through the rain at night. He arrives in a town which is promptly attacked by werewolves. Luckily, this guy is Gabriel Belmont and he wields a whip made of light, which, in this incarnation, is emanated from a crucifix that he wears at his side. Some enemies drop items, the most common that I saw were consumable daggers that I could then throw for a ranged attack.

Fighting off the wolf dudes feels a lot like most 3rd person action games, similar to God of War [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73598]. The animations are fluid and it is fun to whip the wolves into dust before they even closed to melee. After you kill a few waves of them though, a much bigger "warg" comes out and is a little harder to kill. I had trouble figuring out the evading and blocking mechanics, but I'm sure it's not very hard with practice. After the fight, I gained enough experience to purchase a new combo. I went with the Guillotine, which allowed me to whip creatures on the ground in the middle of a jump. Again, this unlocking of abilities reminded me of a bunch of other action games.

We learn that Gabriel is a member of the Brotherhood of Light and is tasked with going into the woods to find his mentor. He also has dreams of a woman, who I'm sure is now dead and haunting his dreams, but it isn't explained all up front, which I actually kind of liked. It's good to have to work to figure out the story. Those good feelings were dashed when, in the forest, Gabriel meets a unicorn made of stars, who can talk. Yeah. So. Back to more whipping!

In the end, Castlevania: LoS is trying to take the franchise into new AAA directions. It has many of the hallmarks that we've come to expect, but I hope that they didn't sacrifice too much for more easily digestible content. Like many other reboots of games into other genres (I'm looking at you XCOM), I wonder if Konami might be better off calling this game something else rather than besmirching the Castlevania brand.

Well, at least you have Castlevania: Harmony of Despair to look forward to. This XBLA title coming out in August appears to be the spiritual successor to what most of us think of as Castlevania.

Los is slated for release this Fall 2010 on the PS3 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77014].

Keep track of all our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
yea...I'm gonna pass on this. I never really liked God of war action/hack-n-slash genre to being with, and I also never really liked Castlevania.

In fact I'm not entirely sure why I'm even posting this. I'm just gonna go to bed. 'Night.

Cheefa_Da_Reefa

Jun 18, 2010
LordNue said:
Also, just for the record even though the guy who made the article probably won't read this, you do know that exploring wasn't really in the series until Symphony, right? Up until then it was mostly just about walking through a level hoping medusa heads and crows didn't knock you down a hole until you reached the boss and whipped it to death and moved onto the next stage. Repeat until you killed Death and Dracula.
actually...castlevania 2 was about exploring it was the first to feature rpg elements to the series also cv3 had multiple paths so the series has always been about exploring

anyways this game seems like every hack and slash game that came out the last couple of years...is a real shame
still gonna play it though lol

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
We'll see what the finished product comes out as. I remain hopeful.

It could still be Metroidvania third person action like Darksiders.

Why does EVERYONE pick Guillotine?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
LordNue said:
Also, just for the record even though the guy who made the article probably won't read this, you do know that exploring wasn't really in the series until Symphony, right?
ORLY?

But yeah, I get your point. Still, this game is Dante's Castle of War. Which sucks.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
I just hope they don't do what most of the castelvania games have done since SOTN, that is make it seem like dracula has nothing to do with this game and then at the last part, reveal that he was behind it the whole time. It was neat when SOTN did it but since then it's been repeated in like 4 games and it's starting to get old.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
You have made my day with the Harmony of Despair news. August cannot come soon enough.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
LordNue said:
sketch_zeppelin said:
I just hope they don't do what most of the castelvania games have done since SOTN, that is make it seem like dracula has nothing to do with this game and then at the last part, reveal that he was behind it the whole time. It was neat when SOTN did it but since then it's been repeated in like 4 games and it's starting to get old.
He and Ganondorf should team up one day. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, NO IT WAS ME!
And then Mother Brain would destroy them both for FAILING TO STOP CAPTAIN N ONCE AGAIN!

Greg Tito sir, let me first to say I fully appreciate a Videogames Journalist that isn't suckling at the teet of the developers, asking canned and useless questions and generally being a hype mouth piece until the game comes out.

That being said...

You are seriously harshing my buzz, bro! Your so negative in both your Lords of Shadow AND X-Com pieces.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
TsunamiWombat said:
LordNue said:
sketch_zeppelin said:
He and Ganondorf should team up one day. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, NO IT WAS ME!
And then Mother Brain would destroy them both for FAILING TO STOP CAPTAIN N ONCE AGAIN!

You win +20 internets my friend.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Although looks fun, and definetly puts a modern teistvon an old classic...might be one I rent. Not been a huge fan of the whole god of war fighting thing

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Come on Konami, give us a 2d Castlevania with 3D Parallax on the 3DS, that's what we really want.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Yeah, I am not convinced about this game at all. It looks like God of Dracula. How is this Castlevania again? Oh right, it really isn't. The XBLA one at least looks like Castlevania. I'm not saying you can't do a 3D Castlevania, but right now I think the N64 games were more faithful to the franchise than this generic hack 'n slash.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Well looking at trends and such the last 2 CV games on the pS2/Xbox were generic action game inspired and now this one is generic action game inspired...only missing more CV elements....wht CV needs is a mix of GOW/DI and Zedla scale level design...the trouble is... they will never give it the level design it needs since they are pushing it from a adventure action game to a action game.....