Roller-skating Robot Guard Made in Japan

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Roller-skating Robot Guard Made in Japan

He's not going to win a roller-derby, but a new Japanese robot can skate around your lobby keeping an eye on things.

If you've played the original Deus Ex, you'll probably remember the NSF security droid, a bullet-proof robot armed with twin machine guns. This little fellow, called EMIEW2, isn't quite as formidable, but he can do something that that gun-toting death machine can't: He can roller-skate.

EMIEW2 was created by Hitachi, and has shock absorbers built into its legs that allows it to cross obstacles like wires and uneven floors without tripping up, something that the manufacturer claims is a first for a robot of its kind. "It can control its posture the way humans do when we stabilise ourselves after jumping on inline skates," said Yuji Hosoda, chief researcher at Hitachi's transportation systems department, at the robot's launch.

EMIEW2 is around 32 inches tall, and has a top speed of 3.7 miles per hour, around the same as a brisk walking pace. There are 14 microphones built into its helmet, which allows it differentiate between human speech and background noise.

Hosado believes that EMIEW2 could be used as a receptionist or tour guide, or take a role in security. "It could also be used for security, such as patrolling and surveillance as it could find a suspicious person hiding in blind spots out of range of fixed security cameras," he said. "This adorable EMIEW could lead to a new form of surveillance."

Source: Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1287602/The-roller-skating-robot-work-security-guard.html?ITO=1490]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
It's cute. I want it. Using it, I shall guard my house and scare my friends.

Calumon: I want it, just so I can snuggle up to it. ^^

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Ah, you see, now we're letting them take care of our own security.

You just watch, soon they'll be in every crevice of our society, and thats when they'll strike!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
IxionIndustries said:
Hooo boy. Sentry Bots, here we come.

[HEADING=2]MOVE. ALONG. PLEASE.[/HEADING]
Searching the suspect... Suspect localized...
NEUTRALIZATION MODE ACTIVE. DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA.
Neutralization phase completed, resuming normal activity. Cleanup in isle 3.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Its only a matter of time until Japan decides to start putting weapons on their robots and then BOOM, gundams.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
How the hell is someone not going to notice a small bright red robot scrolling to the side of a corner and staring at them every 10 seconds? :p

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
poiumty said:
Did anyone else read the title and think "Oh shit, Code Geass"?
Yeah actually, but after I saw the picture I was worried that they'd have to insert a brain into the little guy to pilot it.

AMCization

Jun 1, 2009
Code Geass is precisely what I thought, you wait, this is definitely the beginning of the end...

Striker501

Apr 4, 2010
If i was robbing a store and saw one of those coming id laugh my head off, and from how hard i will be laughing i will be caught chained and put in jail with a grin.

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
...and so, we humans step closer to robot doomsday...

...robot doomsday on roller-skates, that is...

it shall be both cute and deadly...