E3 2010: Infamous 2 Goes South

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3 2010: Infamous 2 Goes South

The hero from Infamous, Cole MacGrath, heads to the Southern city of New Marais, which is closely modeled on New Orleans.

Although Infamous was a critical success, Brian Fleming of Sucker Punch is not content to mail it in for the sequel. His team is pushing the graphics power of the PS3 to its limits as well as providing an even better open world superhero game than they did with Infamous. Cole MacGrath is back and his electrical powers start off in full force, but he has left Empire City to go south. An entity called the Beast was hinted at at the end of the first game, a civilization destroying monster, and Cole is defeated by it to start out the action in Infamous 2.

New Marais is the new sandbox, and it is alive with hatred for Cole MacGrath. The demo starts with a rally led by a man named Bertrand, who does a wonderful Gary Oldman from Fifth Element [http://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Element-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B000QTD368/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277996452&sr=8-1] impression. He whips the crowd into a frenzy by claiming that his militia is the only thing protecting the people from the freaks like Cole. Suddenly, a mutant attacks and Cole, who's been attending his own hate-rally with his friend Zeke, jumps to retaliate.

The demo showed off the new combat mechanics of Infamous 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78093]. Cole slides under enemies to hit them from behind, and the animations look context sensitive enough to provide convincing action. Fleming said that the team at Sucker Punch took a cue from modern superhero movies and made the sequel much more physical and visceral. They wanted to get away from the ranged lightning combat that was the focus of Infamous. Cole's power is still electrical, but he now wields an electrified mace called the Amp, which can shock and beat enemies into a supercharged pulp.

The agility and maneuverability of Cole is shown off as he chases after Bertrand's limo. The "electrical parkour" looks fun, with Cole jumping onto power lines and sliding down them like they're ski slopes. People run out of Cole's way as he shoots lightning at the buildings of New Marey's French Quarter, tearing down the intricate facades. Fleming said that much of the city will be destructible, with whole neighborhoods reflecting decisions made in game.

One good thing about a sequel is that the origin story has already been told and the new game can begin with Cole's powers already unlocked. Sucker Punch looked to superhero movies for inspiration.

"The really big thing about this game was deciding that it was a second game," Fleming said after the presentation. "You might think of Batman Begins as the first movie andThe Dark Knight as the second movie, where the character is fully formed and it's not about how he became Batman, it is about Batman. In that sense, [Infamous 2] is about Cole MacGrath. He is a fully-formed superhero from the beginning and he goes on a big journey in this [game]."

Development of Infamous 2 is about halfway complete, with over a year left before release on the PS3. Because this game is platform exclusive, Sony is betting that it will sell a lot of consoles. Based on what I saw at the presentation - the fun melee combat, the electrical parkour, and the destructibility of the New Marais setting - Infamous 2 might just make me go out and buy a PS3.

If only I could get over the image of Cole MacGrath's hairy body [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6228-Yahtzees-Prototype-vs-InFamous-Challenge] out of my head...

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
That's Cole? But he looks so much less cool! Now he looks alot like The Human Torch from Fantastic Four. The Actor in the film that is.

Calumon: Lightning strikes twice, then ice follows.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Tornado? Wow, they're really going all out with the powers. I always say this, but this might make me buy a PS3.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Infamous 2?

Why hadn't I heard of this earlier?

[HEADING=1]WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/HEADING]

*pops Champagne bottle open*

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
i bet he can create "fire" and "earth" type attacks aswell.. you know just to finish the whole elemental circle.

new Cole looks too different...this is like a reboot then a sequel... now with Nathan drake and his magic powers!

Darth Caelum

Jan 21, 2010
Ok....you BEGIN with the Kill-Sat? You know, the thing that calls lightning from the Heavens and all that? DAMN. DAMN
[HEADING=1]DAMN[/HEADING]
I can only imagine where it goes from there.

Nylis

May 5, 2010
Kilaknux said:
Uh, why has he suddenly developed wind and ice powers?
phoenix352 said:
i bet he can create "fire" and "earth" type attacks aswell.. you know just to finish the whole elemental circle.

new Cole looks too different...this is like a reboot then a sequel... now with Nathan drake and his magic powers!
I read the Game Informer article on this. The tornado is an Ionic vortex, and no Cole's not going to have fire and earth type attacks.

They aren't going to get too out of hand with the ice powers.

Oh and they also changed Cole's looks and voice actor because the majority of people that played the game didn't like him. I personally thought the old Cole was OK, an upgrade in the graphics would have been nice. Hopefully the new guy does a good job.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Wtf has happend to Cole? The lightning powers seem to of caused reverse ageing and a douchebag voice change.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
If they explain it in a good way how he gets the frost powers I'll accept it, but I will not accept the new voice actor, like the one from inFamous 1

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Careful not to have any gravity power near something Modeled after New Orleans...

The term black hole can get you lynched.

Hmm love the tornado I could get into that kind of destruction.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
I like the idea of a controlable tornado...certainly a refresh way to cause havoc ... might pick it up.

Odd was adding on to my other post seems edit is on the fritz eh

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Infamous is one of the best sandbox games ever made. In it the sandboxing is not something irrelevant that you have to do "just because" (like finding "stuff" in Brutal Legend or Arkham Asylum for example, which are both pointless XP grinding), but it is actually the main focus of the game. You need to charge your electical powers and you need to survive in a city that is an all-out warzone, which makes the sandboxing feel relevant and endlessly entertaining. I am really looking forward to the sequel, if they keep the fast-paced exciting gameplay and relevant sandboxing, this is definitely going to be a blast from start to finish.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
I hope you can make him bald. I will probably be for the evil alignment.

And I cannot say that I am glad that Zeke is back.

still though, I am pretty excited for this one. LoL, and word on another open world destruction game from the guys who designed Prototype? I would really love another competition.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
That's Cole? But he looks so much less cool! Now he looks alot like The Human Torch from Fantastic Four. The Actor in the film that is.

Calumon: Lightning strikes twice, then ice follows.
From what I heard, they may alter his look to something less surfer dude-ish. I'm sure it has come to Sucker Punch's attention how the majority of Infamous fans feels about the douchebag make-over.

He already looks different in the article's screenshot; shorter hair and no lame tribal tattoos...I think he even has a bald spot.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, but honestly I'm still waiting for them to come up with a single player sandbox game similar to say "City Of Heroes" or "Champions Online" where you can build your own hero from a number of differant powers rather than just being handed a set of electicity, or bio-morphing/vampiring powers.

I like the inFamous concept a lot better than Prototype, and it was a more polished game, but at the same time I will also say that I was quite disappointed at how limited enviromental interaction was. I understand the excuses in game, but I was a bit irritated that you couldn't use weapons or drive vehicles or anything in the first inFamous. The idea of him melting guns was an odd justification as well given that he doesn't seem to have the problem of uncontrolled discharges when dealing with anything else. He doesn't for example burn his clothes off and have to run around naked, or leave burned footprint craters permanantly behind as he moves... so why an issue with holding a firearm?

I suppose guns would detract from the whole "I throw lightning" thing, and I get that, but I guess it comes down to interaction. While it wasn't as good overall, I thought it was awesome in Prototype to be able to take over and use a tank or Helicopter even if you specifically didn't need to and were arguably just as powerful without one. I felt the enviroment was far more interactive, and that's one of the keys to a sandbox game.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Yeah, that's all fine and good, but I would much rather them just take all that shit out if they would replace this new dickhead looking Cole for the one from the first game.

Seriously, he just looks like any other generic brown haired protagonist.