Violinist Orchestrates NES Music Including Sound Effects

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Violinist Orchestrates NES Music Including Sound Effects

An elegant violinist is using his skills to replicate the sounds and music of classic Nintendo games such as Super Mario Bros. in real time.

We've all heard of musicians playing the music from videogames before, but how about one that plays all of the music and sound effects as a game is played? That's what Teppei Okada has been doing for many classic NES games such as Super Mario Bros., Dragon Quest, and Donkey Kong.

Okada boasts that he can play any piece of videogame music by ear after hearing it once. This is impressive enough on its own, but he also includes the sound effects does them pretty accurately considering he's using a violin. I think we can forgive him for not playing Mario's jump sound every time.

Not only does Okada have some violinist chops, he's quite the fancy gentleman. Just look at that suit! I think that Eight Bits of Jam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95371-Eight-Bits-of-Jam-Will-Rock-Your-NES-Games] do the same thing with more style, but Okada-san does well for himself as a solo violinist. More examples of what he can do are below.

Donkey Kong:

Super Mario Bros. 3:

Visit Okada's Youtube profile [http://www.youtube.com/user/visionclassicjp] to see the rest of his videos. UPDATE: Or not, as he's made them private.

Via: GameSetWatch [http://magweasel.com/2010/06/17/how-the-affluent-play-super-mario-bros/]

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Woooooooww, very nice!

As awesome as that was, though, I would sure like to hear him play a genuine violin tune, sounds like he'd be very good at that! *goes of to hunt his Youtube page*

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
The sound effects were a bit harsh on the ears, and he did miss a few of said soundeffects at times, however this man is incredibally skilled, and he's super fly with that suit.

Hell, I want that suit.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I just love this kind of people. Really. It's pure awesomeness with a touch of beauty.

Also, oh my God, that is one gorgeous suit! So classy, I must say.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Not only does Okada have some violinist chops, he's quite the fancy gentleman. Just look at that suit!
He's only a gentleman if he wears a top hat and a monocle with that suit.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
You guys should probably all check out Video Games Live if you liked this :p
It's about a billion times more awesome. (though they don't really do the sound effects).

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Ew, his TV is distorting the edges of the image for widescreen. But nice music.

P.S. Thanks

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Wow... nice...

But... I wonder how he would fair with modern games like God of War or Bayonetta.

I think it would drive the guy insane.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Hah, that's really impressive, my hat is off to that guy. I didn't know Violin's could go so low, as I'm a string bass player myself.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Haha, Violin hero!

Always nice to see people doing popular things with classical skill.

Willis_D

May 27, 2009
That was awesome. Genuinely astounded by that dude's skill.

Also, I want that suit.
A lot.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'm not sure who takes the cake here... it's either this gentleman or the guy who played all the Super Mario World songs on the piano with a blindfold on. This dude definitely gains +1 coolness due to the suit.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
If you are going to waste your free time why not waste it doing something awesome?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
oh holy shit, never have I wished I kept playing cello more then when I see this