Sony "Pleased" By Nintendo 3DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony "Pleased" By Nintendo 3DS

Even Sony can't stop talking about how great the Nintendo 3DS is.

Sony has been all about 3D from the get-go, and is happy that Nintendo is on the bandwagon as well with its 3DS handheld [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101379-E3-2010-Hands-on-With-the-Nintendo-3DS]. Basically, the more people that know about 3D, the better.

That's according to Sony's Mick Hocking anyway, who at a recent presentation said: "We are very pleased that Nintendo is launching in the field of 3D with its Nintendo 3DS, as this will give the general public a better understanding of 3D and thus democratizing this technology in some way."

"It's certainly a good thing for our products, screens, and PlayStation 3 compatible 3D," Hocking continued. It doesn't seem like it's going to be that great for Sony in the realm of the handheld, though, if Sony even plans to release a new iteration of the PSP at all anymore.

Microsoft still feels 3D is ahead of its time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101418-Microsoft-Dismisses-3D-as-a-Future-Technology], and could potentially be left behind if 3D happens to catch on. However, with the cost of 3D television sets, it seems unlikely that this would happen anytime soon.

Still, even after gouging out my own eyes and clogging my ears with cement, Sony and Nintendo have now been sending psychic messages about 3D into my brain so I just can't seem to get away from it. Sony must really want consumers to bite on 3D if it's happy about a competitor innovating and having success.

Source: VG247 [http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr36556_sony-nous-sommes-heureux-de-l-annonce-de-la-nintendo-3ds.html]

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'm still not on the 3D bandwagon, but I guess no one cares.

They're probably hoping that people will care about 3D enough to buy the next console generation, which may be 3D.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I might buy a 3DS when its price is reasonable enough. Not because of the 3D but simply because I wont end up losing the cartridges.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
if they can make a screen for the ds that requires no glasses, why dont they just make tvs that do the same? :p

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Well, that's good I 'spose. Glad that Sony acknowledges that Nintendo exists.

Personally I don't mind 3D much, it'd be pretty nifty if most games had the option of going 3D. If 3D shouldn't be until the future, then the only way it's going to get there is if we push it now.

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
I think Sony is trying to say "This will never sell! You've fucked yourself Nintendo!"

And then they remember that the Iphone and ipod touch is much better than either.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Korten12 said:
if they can make a screen for the ds that requires no glasses, why dont they just make tvs that do the same? :p
Because the viewing angle for it is terrible, which is fine if only one person is looking at it from directly in front of it but would suck for several people trying to watch TV together in the same room from multiple positions.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I know someone is going to say something like this, so I might as well be first. =P

What Sony is ACTUALLY Saying: "We're very pleased that Nintendo did all the hard work for us so that we can make an even less successful handheld console because everybody except extreme idiots will know that we ripped off our tech from Nintendo."

Verex

May 31, 2010
I'm still not convinced to empty my pockets for this console. Whatever floats your boat, Sony...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
If that circle thing was on the other side I would get it in a heartbeat. No jokes, I'd buy it for the graphics and the circle if it didn't have 3D

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
3D=fail, from what I have seen of possable PSP2 stuff its better designed...hell..the PSPgo is better designed......well..not by much.... I mean come on it a DSI with a extra cam,quasi analog nub and 3D fad crap...its ridiculous...

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
While I have nothing against 3D, its just a pain in the ass to upgrade everything. The entire E3 show this year was trying to get me to get new perpherials! With move, kinect, 3DS, and all that, how am I gonna have any money left to buy any games? But I geuss thats no problem since they announced like 10 worthwhile games between all 3 of them :/

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Is Nintendo trying to conquer the Gaming Industry with 3D? like they did when they brought the NES into people's lives?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
I know someone is going to say something like this, so I might as well be first. =P

What Sony is ACTUALLY Saying: "We're very pleased that Nintendo did all the hard work for us so that we can make an even less successful handheld console because everybody except extreme idiots will know that we ripped off our tech from Nintendo."
Owch, that was mean. Then again of course you have your point, especially now that both Sony and Microsoft are about to release their own Wii controllers.
I love my PS3, but this controllers are almost exact copies of the Wiimotes...

Back to the topic: where is the hologram-technology? I don't like this expensive pseudo-3D with required glasses and all, but give me a screenless image floating in the room and I'll be the first in line to buy it.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I can see why Sony will be pleased that Nintendo has incorporated 3D into their products. When you remember just how big of a money sink Sony's new 3D products are for the consumers, it's difficult to see many people buying them unless they have a developed a fondness for 3D, to the point were they will want most of their video games to have 3D regardless of the price tag. So any product that makes people gravitate towards 3D would be welcome.

Though this could, and likely is, just another instance of Sony trying to paint their failings in a positive light. They want to see some benefit coming from the 3DS, since it's probably going to murder what little competition their is between the PSP and the DS.

pastapappie

Handbanana
Aug 5, 2008
I think this will actually backfire on Sony, especially considering that you still need special glasses for Sony's tech to work properly.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nouw said:
If that circle thing was on the other side I would get it in a heartbeat. No jokes, I'd buy it for the graphics and the circle if it didn't have 3D
...what, so you couldn't use the analog slider and buttons at the same time?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
John Funk said:
Nouw said:
...what, so you couldn't use the analog slider and buttons at the same time?
No so I could aim using that button thing and use the D-Pad for moving.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Of course Sony is pleased. If this portable 3D system takes off then they have a lot of the work already done for them. If it fails then they will be able to go a different direction.

I personally think it will find moderate success. I don't doubt that the tech demos at E3 looked amazing, however, putting together a nice looking tech demo is night and day different from making a great game using this technology.