Kotick Wants Call of Duty Subscriptions "Tomorrow"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kotick Wants Call of Duty Subscriptions "Tomorrow"

Like it or not, Call of Duty is going to have a subscription service attached to it sooner than we might think.

Activision has talked about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96129-Call-of-Duty-to-get-WoW-Like-Subscriptions] adding a subscription service to its Call of Duty franchise in the past, but now CEO Bobby Kotick is itching to make it happen soon. How soon? Tomorrow, if possible.

When asked by the Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703509404575301231400042578.html] what he would do with his company if he had one wish, he replied: "I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow. When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience."

He left out that it would also generate millions of dollars, but that's pretty much implied. Kotick added that this kind of service is "hopefully" coming, and that he thinks "audiences are clamoring for it."

But this isn't just about making money, it's also about expanding the Call of Duty experience and creating something bigger, if Kotick's further comments ring true. He also said: "I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven't really had a chance to do that yet."

It wouldn't be crazy to expect a subscription service somehow associated with the Call of Duty franchise sometime by the end of 2011 if the top dog of Activision wants it to happen "tomorrow." I'm wondering exactly what this would mean, though Kotick's comments hint that he wants a persistent world that is still experienced through consoles rather than PCs. You never know, the MMOFPS genre that hasn't typically lit the online PC world on fire could be a perfect fit for the millions of people playing Call of Duty on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/19/kotick-would-like-to-create-an-online-world-for-call-of-duty/]

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Kotick also wants a unicorn, so hopefully he doesn't get anything, the rotten asscricket.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I want every person on this forum to send me $100 (or the equivalent in their currency) and I think it would be a compelling experience for them! :D

bigsby

Jul 16, 2009
Seriously, is anyone surprised by this? Activision is evil incarnate and Kotick probably eats lunch with Satan daily.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Haha, I can't wait to see the amount of people that stop playing because of this. A lot of my friends are "CoD and Fifa" guys (nothing wrong with that), but they'd never pay a subscription to play CoD.

Christ, the multiplayer isn't even that good anyway; I've never understood the fascination, it's hideously unbalanced and riddled with glitches.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
So, force everyone to use your servers then charge them for using your servers....

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Hahahahah.

No. Someone send Kotick back to his corner. He still hasn't learned jack squat about what gamers want. :/

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
The Ambrosian said:
This can't go well.
This will loose them a lot of players.
Regretabbly, I don't think so. Enough lemmings people bought the mappack for $15. If even a fraction of those will shell out money every month, it'll be profitable.

Here's the thing, I won't pay money every month, not even for a real MMO. I can live comfortably without Activision games, and I'm sure the same is true for other people. If you disagree with shitforbrains Kotick, don't buy any more games from that idiotic publisher.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Kotick also wants a unicorn, so hopefully he doesn't get anything, the rotten asscricket.
Asscricket - that's the first time I've ever heard that word and it's had me in stitches. Though getting back onto topic, I don't think MS will allow Mr Kotick to get away with this. Seeing that one has to pay a subscription fee to play any kind of multiplayer over X-box Live. (Gold)

Such a measure will look bad for not only the CoD franchise, but this will directly affect X-box Live subscriptions, too. Because gamers will think something along the lines of "I'm not paying three times to play multiplayer. (Once, for the game, twice for Live and three times for Mr Kotick's personal subscription.)

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Kotick also wished for another life time supply of pot. Why you ask? Because he used his last batch coming up with that idea.

May 28, 2009
Branching out into MMOFPS? I can't even stand MMORPGs, why would I go along with that? Most of the people I know that play CoD do so because it's so easy to just play and go "hurdur" to, and these "acquaintances" are the kind of rampant idiots that make up most of the fandom.

Although, knowing those people, they'd probably go along with it because it's glorious CoD. None of them even seem to have played the first one. Humph. I am grumpy.

Kotick is a cynic - he's betting that these idiots will lap it up.

I'm still waiting for the next cultural renaissance. Oh so patiently.