Sony: Move's Buttons Make it More Hardcore

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony: Move's Buttons Make it More Hardcore

Sony believes that buttons are at the root of hardcore gaming experiences.

With E3 2010 over and done with, the motion gaming battle has begun between Sony's PlayStation Move and Microsoft's Kinect. Which one does Sony think is better? Move, of course, because it uses buttons where Kinect does not.

Sony R&D Manager Richard Marks told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-playstation-move-tech-interview?page=1] that gamers "want to know that what they're doing is having an effect." While he is a "heavy proponent of 3D cameras" like those Kinect uses, Sony looked at the technology and thought "there just weren't enough experiences that made it make enough sense as a platform-level controller."

According to Marks, Kinect's lack of buttons prevents it from a enabling a truly hardcore experience. He believes: "Sometimes we need buttons to have certain kinds of experiences ... We need to know exactly what you're doing with your hands, especially in the more hardcore experiences."

"When you have only the camera, it's a magical feeling but sometimes you just wish you could select something," he continued. "I don't want to wave to click a button."

"If you make a gesture to make something happen all the time, you don't have that immediate feeling of knowing that it worked. You have to wait and see if it happened and that just slows everything down. A click gives instant knowledge."

Though I don't like to get in on corporate bashing, Marks is right. On my playthrough of Heavy Rain, there was a certain section where a rotation of the controller took me five times to get through correctly even when I knew it was coming and exactly what I was supposed to do. The issue was that the game was not reading my input correctly. Sometimes it's better to just click a button, and Kinect is marketed around the fact that it has none. Kinect is a cool piece of technology, but Sony could be right in saying that Move might be suited to the more accurate experiences that a hardcore gamer would enjoy.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-playstation-move-tech-interview?page=1]

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, buttons are good.

You know what else has buttons? The controllers we've been using for years!

monnes

Sep 23, 2009
Irridium said:
Yeah, buttons are good.

QFT

I'm beginning to feel that the motion controllers won't just be an addon, but become the dominating controller form.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
They have a good point. It feels like Kinect jumped too far ahead of conventional controllers in their desire to be innovating. But what overenthusiastic UI developers tends to overlook is that a new means of controlling your machine will have to do everything the previous controller did in order to move forward. That doesn't neccesarily mean it has to have buttons, but it needs to have the same, or better, functionality or else there was no point in making it.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Also long cat is long
The sky is blue
Grass is green
You will get hungry
Bobby Kotick is an arsehole

They finally figured out something the designer of the ps1 knew over 15 years ago

DerpyDerpyDerp

Mar 27, 2009
Irridium said:
Yeah, buttons are good.

This.

I think they realized during development that in order to keep the "hardcore" crowd, what they really ended up designing was their controller all over again so they compromised.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The Wii controller has buttons.

Does that make it hardcore too?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Yeah... I find it hard to call this a "hardcore player's motion controller" while actually looking at what it is.

A LOLLIPOP.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
A motion controller with buttons you say? Sounds original.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the PS3 and 360 still have support for controllers with buttons after these motion devices hit? I'm failing to see how putting them on another controller is an advancement.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I think the more important thing Move has that Kinect doesn't is games. Sure, they're not all Move exclusive, but looking at Killzone 3, Socom 4, echochrome 2 and Heavy Rain compared to Kinectimals and all the other god-awful crap they wasted an hour of my life informing me about at E3, I know which one I'm more eager to use.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't think the question is about the controllers themselves, but what they do with them. The big question is whether or not they can produce hardcore games that implement this technology. The problem is that attempts to do this have by and large failed, most of the games produced with motion control are relatively simplistic, family-oriented affairs. "Party Games", simplified golf and bowling, and the like.

Simply put, first they need to produce the games, or have them on the way. It's like when I invest in a console, I at least know what games are in the process of being developed. With these two gimmicks we know about 15 games, only ONE of which looks like it might appeal to serious gamers (the Star Wars game, and that's mediocre), and we don't exactly see a lot of companies releasing details on all these upcoming games they have planned using the technology.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
No one is considering the awesome one-to-one controlling. All the f**king comments are about "yeah, we already have buttons!!". Well guess what, you think you controlled your character when you thrust a sword into a man's heart, but you weren't, you just told your character to do it.

Now, Sony is absolutely right. I was mightily impressed by Natal when I first showed up, but the first thing I thought was; "but... If I play Oblivion, or something... How tha f**k will I be able to walk while casting spells or swinging my sword?!".
Until we have some sort of contraption where running doesn't actually make you move, we'll need buttons for that kind of control.

If the Move is precise enough, it could work better than controllers because you don't have to account for a certain speed of the sticks, but just move to a certain point. Like with the mouse. If you get accustomed enough with Move, I am certain you'll be much more efficient than those with control sticks. That is, if it will work as they promise it will.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
You know, they often show people standing and playing the Move. You don't have to. You can sit on your ass and play Socom 4 just like you were before. But if you like the move precision over the floaty stick precision (I play FPS with a mouse tyvm, consoles can bite it imo) then awesome.

Honestly I'm looking forward to some Sorcery and Socom 4 myself.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have to agree with the prevailing sentiment here, all corporate bashing aside he's right. It's not so much about a more hardcore experience as it is about a more pleasing game experience that works with a wider variety of games. Kinect may be great for those get off the couch family fun type experiences (assuming the tech actually works well, which I'm still not convinced of) but it's definitely not as good when it comes to precision experiences.. and that's saying a lot considering a lack of feedback and precision is a problem with motion control in general.

Either way though, I'd be happiest just using controllers like we have now. Depending on your viewpoint, motion control may or may not be a gimmick, but it really hasn't done anything to make gaming better outside of a few very select cases.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Therumancer said:
With these two gimmicks we know about 15 games, only ONE of which looks like it might appeal to serious gamers (the Star Wars game, and that's mediocre)[...]
You mean the Star Wars Kinnect game? I don't know if you noticed, but you didn't even control the movement. You only ordered the character to move to the next point, where you would fight. The only thing that wasn't scripted was your f**king hands. Absolutely f**king ridiculous by my standards.