Warner Bros. Slowing Down Acquisitions

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Warner Bros. Slowing Down Acquisitions

Warner Bros. Interactive won't be buying a load more developers, says senior VP Samantha Ryan.

After some very rapid growth, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is entering a period of consolidation, according to senior VP of production and development, and former head of Monolith Productions, Samantha Ryan.

"We're actually I think going to go through kind of a settling period for a little while where we're going to focus on getting all the stuff that we've just acquired well-integrated, and really focus on the games," she said. "I don't think you're going to see a ton more acquisition, maybe a little tiny one as a complementary piece, but aside from that I'm hoping that we take it easy for a while."

Over the last five years, WB has acquired a number of studios, including F.E.A.R. developer Monolith, TT Games, creators of the various LEGO games, as well as a majority share in Batman: Arkham Asylum developer Rocksteady. Ryan attributes much of Warner Bros. Interactive's growth to being in a position to take advantage of opportunities, and cites the acquisition of the majority of Midway's assets, where WB was the only company to bid on the lot, as an example. "I think Mortal Kombat looks amazing. I think that team is amazing, and I was surprised that others didn't step up, because why would you not want to own one of the best franchises in the game industry?"

With such a rich stable of developers, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of Warner Bros. Interactive in the future. Obviously there's going to be a ton of licensed stuff, but it's the original ideas that I'm really interested in.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29025/Warner_Bros_Ryan_WB_Cooling_On_Acquisitions.php]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Oh no WB, pick up the Mortal Kombat movie first!

That is of course only applying if this means movies as well as games.Games wise I say that got a stable group, that can make games for a large percentage of both the younger and older crowds.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I guess they finally learned that taking on too much at one time can only lead to bad things...well, lets hope they will focus on the quality of what they have now

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Deofuta said:
Oh no WB, pick up the Mortal Kombat movie first!

That is of course only applying if this means movies as well as games.Games wise I say that got a stable group, that can make games for a large percentage of both the younger and older crowds.
Have you seen the new Mortal Kombat? It's brutal. No kicking around the violence bush like Marvel vs. DC, they are going really gory and really violent.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
With such a rich stable of developers, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of Warner Bros. Interactive in the future. Obviously there's going to be a ton of licensed stuff, but it's the original ideas that I'm really interested in.
While I agree with you on that point, I think it is actually a good thing to have Warner Brothers keeping up the quality control so we get more games like Batman:AAs (in quality) and not more games like Mortal Kombat vs. DCs.