New Lightsaber-Wielding Giant Gundam Finally Complete

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Lightsaber-Wielding Giant Gundam Finally Complete

The full-scale replica of the titular giant robot in Mobile Suit Gundam is fully armed and operational over in Japan once more.

Almost exactly a year ago, the life-size 1:1 scale replica of the RX-78-2 Gundam put it back up again [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92322-Japan-Finishes-Life-Size-Gundam], only this time they'd be giving it its iconic "beam saber" weapon.

Well, guess what? It's finished again, and it is just as awesome as it's ever been.

From the photos posted to Ngee Khiong [http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/06/11-gundam-rx-78-2-statue-in-shizuoka_21.html], it looks like the only thing yet to be completed is the beam saber itself, which will supposedly light up at night as if it's burning a gash into the stone outside JR Shizuoka Station in Shizuoka City.

The Gundam will be officially on display from July 24th, 2010 till January 10th, 2011, at which point it is scheduled to be taken down again because the Japanese people still apparently hate things that are completely awesome.

Gundam is one of Japan's longest-running anime franchises following the airing of Mobile Suit Gundam in 1979. It's spawned countless sequels and spinoffs, the most popular of which are Gundam SEED, Gundam 00, and Gundam Wing. I've never understood the massive love for Wing, myself. The others are so much better.

Well, okay, maybe not SEED Destiny.

(Escapist Mecha Fans usergroup [http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/06/11-gundam-rx-78-2-statue-in-shizuoka_21.html])

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Wing is quite iconic wouldn't you say? It's one of my personal favourites.
Anyway, who needs nukes when you can get creative like the Japanese?

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Don't be hating on my Wing!!!

It's probably because it was the first gundam i was exposed to, airing on toonami and all.

Can Japan make a 1:1 Valkyrie now? Perhaps one that even TRANSFORMS!!>!?!?!?!??

Transforming is optional, of course.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sevre90210 said:
Iconic in the West maybe since it was the first brought over here. But it's eh.

SEED, 00, and most of the UC ones are just so much better. :/ I've always thought Wing had a dull story and dull characters, not counting the OZ ones.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats so cool! Hehe, I would love to see it in person its so epic!

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Whats wrong with Wing...it was my first gundam series...

OT: They should leave it up and add more next to it, it could be their version of our Mount Rushmore...except with Gundams instead of Presidents...armed with laser cannons and swords.

Apr 28, 2008
John Funk said:
Sevre90210 said:

SEED, 00, and most of the UC ones are just so much better. :/ I've always thought Wing had a dull story and dull characters, not counting the OZ ones.
If I had to guess I would say its because of ALMIGHTY NOSTALGIA!

At least for me thats the case, but I know I'm not the only one.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I'll be impressed when they make a life size replica of the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Atleast it's not the Freedom. The beam spam, Sweet Raptor Jesus, the beam spam!

He never misses, he never misses, he never misses....

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Nice one Japan, I would welcome this to be built in my town, its certainly a lot better than yet another "modern art" nightmare

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
Good God that thing is awesome. It could only be more awesome if it was made out of Lego.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SteelStallion said:
John Funk said:
Sevre90210 said:

I thought SEED was kinda lame. The improved art and animation was cool, but the characters were by FAR the most annoying of the franchise. 16 year old skinny teenagers and some ":3" flying cutsie robots and shit.

cool robot
Better than the 15-year-old skinny teenagers in Wing :p

And YOU DID NOT JUST DISS HARO, MAN.

Haro is awesome :( Wing is worse for NOT having Haro.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Japan keeps being AWESOME!!!! the only way it could be more AWESOME! is if it where too move

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Almost exactly a year eh?
Guess that means the time between the year is spent Upgrading it.

Regardless, this is simply wonderful.

lightsier

Nov 29, 2009
Boo to Gundam Wing! I require the red eye of a Zaku to satisfy my mecha needs or the Dom Tropen gameboy face.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
That STILL has to be the coolest thing i've ever seen...

If they made a life size replica of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers's Mega Zord...

I could die happy...