E3 2010: Final Fantasy XIV Hands on

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3 2010: Final Fantasy XIV Hands on

Square is trying to reinvent its flagship MMOG, but the gameplay pales in comparison to modern titles.

When FFXIV [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76134] that I played at the Square-Enix booth at E3 seemed to be very pretty without any visceral combat or compelling gameplay.

First off, FFXIV takes place in a different world and shares no continuity with previous FF titles. Still, it is weirdly familiar. There are cat people, but they are called Miqo'te instead of Mithra. I'm told that there will be Chocobos and even Phoenix Down, but I wasn't shown any in the portion that I played.

I was put in front of a PC station that had 3 monitors equipped with 3D technology. I threw on the provided Nvidia glasses and was blown away by the visuals. FFXIV is beautiful, with a richly designed art style. My demo character was a female Miqo'te (no, I didn't pick her but I've been one to turn down a ... cat) and she was walking through the port city of Limsa Lominsa. The whole town has a very pirate or seafaring feel, but with huge open spaces and large sculpted buildings out of a Yes album cover. Think of Elven Steampunk and you're halfway there. In 3D, it looks even better.

FFXIV eschews the whole class decision thing, and allows you to change classes on the fly by equipping different weapons or items. Even crafting is in that equation, so when you equip, say, a spoon, you turn into a "Culinarian." (Why couldn't they just use cook?) Leveling is also different in FFXIV, based on leveling skills as opposed to gaining XP. Because of this, you can level up through the whole game by crafting without ever fighting a monster.

The actual game wasn't that fun, though. After exploring Limsa Lominsa, we switched characters to show off the Thaumaturge class, which is the debuffer magical class. My Thaumaturge was spawned in a green open world with rolling hills and a big crystal. This crystal is where we get our quest, which tells us to grab 5 pages of a book and summon and defeat the beast that we can summon from those pages. I was able to select the difficulty of the quest, from Solo to Band to the most difficult for large groups and raids. I like that this feature is in the game, but I feel that it should decide how easy or hard the enemies are based on if I'm in a group or not. Selecting the difficulty for each quest will get tedious and it definitely broke any kind of immersion that the beautiful 3D graphics had achieved.

The book pages were harvested from shiny nodes, even more conspicuous than the famous WoW sparkles. The problem was that my quest was instanced, so that I could see other player characters going up to random places and doing stuff without ever seeing the node or what they were fighting. After I finished the quest, the big crystal respawned and I was able to immediately turn in the quest and receive the reward.

Obviously, FFXIV is still in development, but I found its controls to be terribly unresponsive. And even though having quests automatically turn in will speed up leveling, I think that it will also severely cut down on the amount of exploration in the game. It's a small design decision, but one that will have serious implications over the course of the whole MMOG experience.

Also, why the hell can't my character jump? Tomes have been written about how jumping in an MMOG gives the player a sense of agency. Disallowing jumping does quite the opposite. I believe that it was a mistake in FFXI and XIV is making the same one.

Perhaps it is possible for producer Hiromichi Tanaka to iron out these details before the game launches this fall for the PC and the PlayStation 3.

But don't count your chocobos before they hatch.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Sounds like pretty much every other Square-Enix game created recently; great art with no substance. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing their games, but the gameplay never matches to the high quality the visuals set.

They seem to focus entirely on rewarding the player; but without the player doing anything difficult to gain that reward it just feels cheap and meaningless (see The Last Remnant in which players were basically transported to and from quests - this game appears to hold a similar system).

PissedGrunty

Aug 15, 2009
I may have beaten every Final Fantasy except 3 and 11, but I'm also a rabid MMO hater. There is nothing they could do to make me pick up 14.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
wait.....didn't ffXIII just come out.

Oooooh, i get it. This one is completely different ;)

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Yawn. Call me when they make an MMO with ATB battles that take place in a persistant world. (Think Crono Trigger)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I think you should have focused on a little more indepth analysis than "Gameplay is boring". Care to explain? I know it's hard to do it justice and you probably try to refrain from giving your full impression since this is a preview and this is the videogame industry afterall, but the 'it looks good' but 'doesn't feel finished' previews are worthless. I'd prefer more personal or biased previews, didn't sound like you liked the game, so why the reserved tone? How does the game play? Interface? Character differences? Why unresponsive?

I agree on the jumping and on the 'returning quests' bit. These sort of limit your enjoyment of the game, from explorative and gameplay standpoints. If they continue with the current SE trend of making games, really shitty ones that is, I doubt this'll turn out well.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
A title does not make a game good just because it says "Final Fantasy" does not mean you can get away with major game play flaws. Thus why I played FFXI for all about 30 agonizing moments of poor UI choices and lack luster combat before I uninstalled it. In my opinion the original was horrible and unless this time it is NOTHING like the original (aside from being an MMO) I won't even take a second look.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Nimbus said:
Yawn. Call me when they make an MMO with ATB battles that take place in a persistant world. (Think Crono Trigger)
dont know if it will be a persistant world but vindictus is a Free to play MMO coming at the end of the year with an ATB battling system.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Korten12 said:
Nimbus said:
dont know if it will be a persistant world but vindictus is a Free to play MMO coming at the end of the year with an ATB battling system.

That's not ATB... AT is the system used by Final Fantasy IV through to IX

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
vrbtny said:
wait.....didn't ffXIII just come out.

Oooooh, i get it. This one is completely different ;)
If that was sarcasm, then yes, they are actually completely different, seeing as one is single player, and one is an MMO.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I never got this fascination with being able to jump that many MMO players seem to have. It's one of the complaints I've heard most often about Guild Wars (so often apparently, that the devs have made a big deal out of how you will be able to jump in the sequel). In the majority of MMOs it adds absolutely nothing significant to the gameplay apart from breaking immersion whenever you see some big scary warrior skipping by like a retarded kangaroo.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Nimbus said:
Korten12 said:
Nimbus said:

~*Snip*~
Looks more like ABS (Active Battle System), but if that is an MMORPG then I'd be interested of playing that game. However I'm guessing it will be entirely instanced to pull off that kind of game play. I actually like having instanced worlds, though I think this might bother some people who want to see other people killing ten <insert blood-sack to be farmed name here> while they turn in their quests.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Nimbus said:
Korten12 said:
Nimbus said:

oh sorry, my mistake.

Voltano said:
Nimbus said:
Korten12 said:
Nimbus said:

~*Snip*~
Looks more like ABS (Active Battle System), but if that is an MMORPG then I'd be interested of playing that game. However I'm guessing it will be entirely instanced to pull off that kind of game play. I actually like having instanced worlds, though I think this might bother some people who want to see other people killing ten <insert blood-sack to be farmed name here> while they turn in their quests.
yeah it is instanced but looks alot of fun though.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
An MMORPG that isn't called "The Old Republic"? And it's a Final Fantasy game? AND Mr. Tito says it isn't fun?

Three strikes :/

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
FFXI was by no means the best, but was easily single game into which I've sunk the most hours thanks to its addictiveness and landing myself in a great community. I don't play it anymore, but thanks to all that I'm eagerly waiting for FFXIV and from what I've seen it looks like a vast improvement. (Just praying it comes out for 360 since I don't have a PS3 or a PC that could run it.)

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
I use to play 11 a few years ago and it looks like they at least are making the game playable for solo player. Which is a vast improvement over 11. A big problem I have with it may sound stupid to non FF fans but why the hell does it get a number. It pissed me off when they gave 11 a number and it pisses me off that 14 is also numbered.

As for the no substance remark I have to agree. Ever since Squeenix lost most of the major people behind the franchise they have totaly gone down hill. I also really wish that this would have been a micro system and free to play.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I tried to get into FFXI after it had been out for a while and I just couldn't. Even at that time the way it did things just seemed so arbitrary and archaic. Needless to say I didn't stick with it for very long. Sounds like FFIV does make some improvements but not really in the right areas.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
I'm sorry, why is the extremely diehard WoW fan reviewing FFXIV? Isn't this the guy that game a WoW PATCH game of the year for 2009? Of course he's not gonna say anything nice about a different MMO. Not trying to insult you, Mr Tito, but you've already shown you can't be objective when it comes to anything related to WoW.

It also seems like he knew nothing beforehand about the game, where it's at in it's development, etc. There is a *****-ton of customization on it's way regarding classes and how you use them, so reviewing this as an almost finished product is really not so good an idea.