Microsoft Pledges to Save PC Gaming, Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Pledges to Save PC Gaming, Again

An internal Q&A document from Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] reveals that the software giant is once again gearing up to save PC gaming from the dark waters of oblivion, and this time it really means it.

Microsoft committing itself to the future of PC gaming: Does that sound familiar to anyone else? It should. Just a couple of years ago, Microsoft touted its wrote [http://www.gamesforwindows.com/]. "Microsoft's continued investments will enable game publishers to take advantage of that connectivity while delivering to consumers the kind of gaming experiences they will love."

Fast-forward two years and Games for Windows Live is a mess, while Microsoft's gaming ambitions remain strong but appear focused entirely on the Xbox 360. But wait! In an internal document "obtained" by Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5567711/fable-iii-really-signals-a-larger-microsoft-push-for-pc-gaming-this-time], the Windows publisher admits that it dropped the PC ball but claims that it's ready to try again, for real and for sure this time.

"Does Fable III [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22Fable+III%22&x=20&y=18] on Windows signal a larger reinvestment by Microsoft in PC gaming?" the document asks. "How is this different from the previous times you've announced a reinvestment in PC gaming and not quite come through with a robust offering?"

"In terms of revenue, Windows is far and away the largest gaming platform in the world, so it's an incredibly important part of Microsoft's business," it answers. "From core games like Fable III to casual, social and Facebook [http://www.facebook.com] titles, more gaming happens on Windows than anywhere else. Windows 7 is a world-class gaming platform, and you can bet Microsoft has a vested interest in using it as a platform for amazing first party content. Fable III on Windows as well as Xbox 360 this holiday is a great first step, and we'll have more news for you later this summer."

Okay, so it's not exactly an oath signed in blood and it does have the ring of a document that, while purportedly "internal," was meant for public consumption. Still, the simple fact that Microsoft admits that it has "not quite come through" in the PC gaming arena has to be seen as a hopeful sign. Maybe it's some kind of stealth marketing, maybe it's total crap, but given the alternative message - "Button-mashing for everyone!" - for now, at least, I'm willing to cross my fingers, pour some salt on it and take it with a smile.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
The only thing that's broken in PC gaming is things like Games for Windows Live, and about the only way to fix it is to make it go away.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Does this mean, at long last, Gears of War 2 for PC? Please dear god, I want that thing. My computer is crying out for more Gears of War. If not, then kindly go eat a copy of windows vista, because I shall not listen.

Calumon: ...You're really mean today!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Release gears of war 1-3 in a trilogy set for 70$, release Halo in the same way, start porting all your titles to PC........ assholes......... your the reason why mainstream PC gaming has declined.......

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Okay, that's the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard in my entire life. They've built the platform PC gaming was practically built on, yet they frittered all their money away on Games-For-Windows-Stupid-Live. What the fuck do they care? If they're putting games like Fable III on the PC, it's to squeeze more cash from sales. Besides, Steam already beat them to the punch by reinvigorating the PC market, a market that was threatening to stagnate at that point, and it's been doing PC gaming well since its inception. PC support isn't just adding arbitrary controller support and a fucking logo on the box, MS. Get the fucking picture here.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Furburt said:
The massive trainwreck that was GFWL has convinced me to take this with an entire ocean of salt, but you never know, there's hope.

Although I'm betting that this "Save PC Gaming" really means "Put all games on Windows 7 and add DRM"
It's Microsoft. What do you expect?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The only thing PC gaming needs saving from is the likes of Microsoft.

GfWL chaps? Maybe you can FUCKING SCRAP IT instead of chucking it at us, in a way that you seem to think means you're "supporting" us, and then leaving it broken for years.

They don't give a shit.

Oh, and Fable 3 is hardly a title to flagship this initiative given how God-awful Fable 2 was.

Seriously, if there last attempt at "saving" us (from what?! PC gaming is doing really well!) was GfWL then I don't want to know. I'll start using a MAC and then I'll have to suck it up and buy a PS3 instead, leaving behind my beloved forever.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Furburt said:
The massive trainwreck that was GFWL has convinced me to take this with an entire ocean of salt, but you never know, there's hope.

Although I'm betting that this "Save PC Gaming" really means "Put all games on Windows 7 and add DRM"
i really hope that wont be the case... but sadly you're probably right
for now im just happy i wont have to use my brothers 360 to play fable 3

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
How to save* PC gaming:
Step 1: remove GFWL.
Done!

*I don't recall the MMO, casual and indie markets being in any need of saving.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
uppitycracker said:
The only thing that's broken in PC gaming is things like Games for Windows Live, and about the only way to fix it is to make it go away.
So then what does that make piracy? If anything, STEAM has roughly the same function as GFWL, but Steam does it a hell of a lot better than Microsoft can ever imagine.

ZippyDSMlee said:
Release gears of war 1-3 in a trilogy set for 70$, release Halo in the same way, start porting all your titles to PC........ assholes......... your the reason why mainstream PC gaming has declined.......
As if Epic, let alone Bungie would care enough to port their games to the PC unless they had some real incentive to. And even then, they'd probably be all half-assed ports with Games for Shitty Windows Live Support.

rebus_forever

Jan 28, 2009
make windows share ware to let us know ur really committed to games on pc, after all if ur gonna be making so much moneies from al the 1337 games u wont need to abuse us on os costs, i assume they will release a patch for older os giving access to direct x ad infinitum, as that would enhance gaming without the need for ms to make any money from people needing to upgrade os.
later im gonna go to a bank and ask it if it wants to give me back some of the cash we lent them, if the bank says yes i think i may give trusting ms a go.

though on the counterside, when i got win 7 64 bit i did a jizz in my pants : (

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The largest game publisher Activision confirms that most of their profits come from games like WoW on PC. Microsoft were one of the first publishers to have a successful MMO when they published Asheron's Call but they dropped that sort of game like a grand piano along with all their other PC gaming efforts when they decided that the expensive xbox project was more exciting. 'Nuff said.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
buy teh haloz said:
uppitycracker said:
So then what does that make piracy? If anything, STEAM has roughly the same function as GFWL, but Steam does it a hell of a lot better than Microsoft can ever imagine.

ZippyDSMlee said:
As if Epic, let alone Bungie would care enough to port their games to the PC unless they had some real incentive to. And even then, they'd probably be all half-assed ports with Games for Shitty Windows Live Support.
MS has to pay for it of course(at lest GOW/Halo) but they are not interested in reviving mainstream PC gaming.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
The reason PC gaming is declining is developers stopped making games for PC! Simple!
Scared of the pirates? Then stop putting DRM on everything; pirates will always steal your stuff, but as long as you make a decent product without treating a paying customer like a criminal, you'll have fewer people going over to piracy to get around your DRM.

As much as I hated GFWL, I put up with it because it meant a game on the PC. Getting rid of it just means one less headache. A good show of apology would be to patch your games so they don't need GFWL installed anymore.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ucciolord1 said:
If GFWL and Fable III are in the same boat, then I don't want either one of them.
"If"? Microsoft + games = Games for Windows Shit.. I mean, Live.

The only game with GFWL I bought was Batman last summer. Didn't like it. The DRM, not the game. Game was awesome.