Jaffe: Games Industry Needs to Get Over Itself

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Never one to mince words, David Jaffe is sick of the "artsy fartsy" in the gaming industry.

In his trademark direct style, David Jaffe has called out the gaming industry for trying too hard to be artistic. Speaking on Twitter [http://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe], he said that gameplay was his focus, and that he was tired of the pretentious attitudes of some game makers.

"... Reality is, we work for the gamer and we want them as happy as they can be. We will push as hard as we can to get it perfect for every gamer until the time has simply run out," said Jaffe, in reply to a fan's comment that gameplay was more more important than art. "That said, I agree... SO F*CKING SICK of artsy fartsy in this industry. Get f*cking over yourselves bitches."

Jaffe later said that there was a difference between the "artsy fartsy" games he hated so much and games that were actually artistic. He named Flower and Ico as two of his favorite games, and added: "...when a genuine artistic game comes along, I fall in love with it. Just hate the posers."

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/david-jaffe-f-cking-sick-of-artsy-fartsy-industry-177239.phtml]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Damn! He certainly is opinionated.

Kinda agree, but you still shouldn't disrespect someone's work like that.

Gh0st1y_H

Jan 11, 2010
phoenix352 said:
as long as a game is fun .. art/graphics aren't important....o.0
Yes and no. Graphics aren't important, but I wouldn't really try to compare Flower and Call of Duty. Jaffe is talking about something else entirely.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Ahh, a man who could stand to take his own advice...

But, I agree with him. I, too, am sick of that artsy crap that gets pushed out. I want a a game, not a mildly interactive experience with a ton of story. Gameplay is what hooks me, focus more on that, please.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
Attention whore: look it up in the dictionary, and you'll see Jaffe's face.

Seriously, the guy's been out of the game since the original God of War and he hasn't made a high caliber game since. There's a good reason why EA Santa Monica did just fine with the franchise after Jaffe left: he wasn't the only one with talent.

Nothing annoys me more than those with a self-inflated ego. Jaffe should just shut up and find something to keep himself busy.

Phatnpround

May 25, 2009
I think i agree with him. I think gameplay is the most important aspect of games and I'm not really bothered about them being 'art' or not because I'm not really into arty stuff. I don't watch a great deal of films and I'm not big on theatre or anything like that. I don't really read that much either. Plus gameplay is the reason i like games so much, it's what sets it apart from other mediums. So if that's what he's trying to say then yes I agree with him (although somehow I think he's saying something else entirely but whatever...)

tl;dr Gameplay = important

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I like this guy. I think that we all could benefit from "getting over ourselves"

Apr 28, 2008
I agree with him. I'm so sick and damn tired of this art debate. Who gives a shit? Even if games are considered art, it won't change anything, gaming will still be looked down on, and people will still try to limit it.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
wildcard9 said:
Attention whore: look it up in the dictionary, and you'll see Jaffe's face.

Seriously, the guy's been out of the game since the original God of War and he hasn't made a high caliber game since. There's a good reason why EA Santa Monica did just fine with the franchise after Jaffe left: he wasn't the only one with talent.

Nothing annoys me more than those with a self-inflated ego. Jaffe should just shut up and find something to keep himself busy.
I didn't know God of War was made by EA.

(Hint: SONY Santa Monica.)

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
For a moment, I thought I was going to have to get mad.

Then he made the distinction between genuinely artistic pieces and pretentious once, and I took to cautiously agreeing - though as someone else said, yeah, why shouldn't they try?

.. Then he mentioned Flower and ICO. I kinda want to hug him now.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I totally agree...you dont always need the masterpiece to be the best...sometimes been different, and going a different direction to others can make you stand out and actually be counted!

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I agree whole heartedly with his opinion. There is nothing wrong with a game being artsy, But when someone is "Artsy Fartsy", which usually goes hand in hand with Snobbery/Elitism, they should stick to the coffee shops and art galleries (and france) and stay out of the gaming industry.

No offence meant to any art galleries.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Hmm...the guy has a point.

There is a difference between artistic games, that are really designed as such, and the "posers", the games that only designed "artsy" for the sake of appealing to the "artsy" crowd.