Civ Anonymous: Where You Go to Stop Taking Another Turn

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Civ Anonymous: Where You Go to Stop Taking Another Turn

This viral ad for Civilization V about people trying to kick their Civ habit will probably just make you want to pick the game up again.

There are many different types of addictive games - just look at MMOGs like WoW - but somehow, Civilization has an addictive property unique to the series: "Just one more turn."

"Just one more turn. Only one more turn. Okay, I've almost got this tech upgrade, just give me three more turns - see, I got the tech upgrade but ... ooh, now I can build knights, let me start training this right away, I'll be to bed in just one second honey, it'll just be one more turn."

Sound familiar? It should. And judging by Greg Tito's glowing impressions of Civ V from E3 '10 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101415-E3-2010-Civilization-V-Breathes-New-Life-Into-the-Series], it sounds like we're due for a flareup of Civ addiction any day now.

In all seriousness, the above advertisement is actually really hilarious, if kind of uncomfortable in how accurate it is. That grandma is awesome.

And keep an eye out for Sid Meier himself in a cameo role - after you've booked time off for later this year, anyway.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5569527/civilization-addiction-is-as-real-as-this-trailer-suggests])

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
*stands up* My names Bob and I'm a Civ addict.

I really hate the Civ games, but they are too addictive. I once played for 12 hours without a break and didn't enjoy a moment of it, but couldn't pull myself away.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Having played Civ IV for about a week, I can only say...

Just one more turn.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well, that's why I have not yet installed it despite having it for almost two weeks now (Civ IV that is, obviously).

Stupid exams.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
And lo' after the world was bathed in nuclear fire, the one named Edna placed herself atop the throne of the new, burning world, where she ruled with an iron fist, she would concur many more nations...

But that, is a story for another time.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I only played Civ 1 and Civ 4, but I've also played a lot of similar games. Alpha Centauri, Galactic Civilizations, Call to Power, etc.

...and yeah, the "one more turn" syndrome is way too familiar.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
The original Civilization is the first PC game that I bought and the first game that I would pull an all-nighter without even realizing it. I thought I broke my addiction with Civ 3....but it might come back with Civ 5...

/sigh

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
I only played Civ 1 and Civ 4, but I've also played a lot of similar games. Alpha Centauri, Galactic Civilizations, Call to Power, etc.

...and yeah, the "one more turn" syndrome is way too familiar.
Well Apha Centauri and Call to Power are more or less Civilization games (at least they are Sid Meier games). I wasted a lot of time on those as well...and the original Pirates and Railroad Tycoon as well...

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I played civ 4... didn't get the "hook" like so many others. I've played other empire builders and racing up the tech tree was always my favored playstyle, but it was a bit trickier to pull off in civ 4. After that I ran across something that really stopped any possibility of getting hard addicted.

My tank unit (a motorized vehicle with steel armor and a cannon) lost a 1 vs 1 fight to a praetorian unit (a guy with a sword and shield)
Seriously?

I can still have fun playing it, but some considerations should be taken, like when you hit a tank with a sword you don't do it any harm.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Civilization 4 was the best game I have ever played. No game to this day has managed to keep me this captivated for so many hours. I can't wait for Civilization 5.

In regards to the video, it has a basis in truth. I mean fuck, I spent nights playing Civ 4. I went to the computer, turned the game on and next thing you know the sun came up.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm a Civ addict.

I remember once I started playing at around 9PM. Next time I looked at the clock it was 5AM.

Everything is just one turn away.

I will be stronger. I will not let Civ V consume me!

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
When I first heard of Civ 5 I was excited, and whenever I hear a new bit of news or another article about it refreshes my excitement... too many hours wasted on civ4, and I didn't even buy it when it came out!

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Gotta love the obama "Nope" poster in the back

edit... and then later in the vid they focus on it. I feel like such a poser now.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
This is funny because it's true.

I was crashing so hard after seeing the Civ V preview that I played Sins of the Solar Empire all weekend. My strategy brain needed something to grasp onto.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I can't stand the wait for Civ V any longer. I've even manipulated 2 of my friends into putting down FPS' so they would play Civ IV with me but its still not enough, I need more..

And good god Edna was right about that dick Montezuma. I'll make him pay though, you think your swordsman can stand up to my Gunships? ***** is gonna die.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That was hilarious! Im going to need to join that so badly! <3 Civ games! Where do I sign up?