Nintendo Promises Much Punishment for Sony and Microsoft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Promises Much Punishment for Sony and Microsoft

Nintendo of America [http://www.nintendo.com] President Reggie Fils-Aime predicts that in spite of the upcoming release of motion controllers for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the yawning sales gap between the Wii and everything else will widen even further this year.

Sony and Microsoft are counting on big things from Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_353373582_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000510541&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=1A9KEJ9JZWWCNS2FCABG&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1266694322&pf_rd_i=move], the motion control systems for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Success for either could be bad news for Nintendo as it would almost certainly cut into the casual/family demographic that's been the Wii's bread and butter for years, but Fils-Aime doesn't appear the least bit worried by the prospect. In fact, he promised to rain down an ungodly firestorm upon both companies for daring to step out of line.

"In terms of where we go in the future, our path is very clear. We want to provide compelling experiences for the consumer. We want to do that in a way that has tremendous value for the consumer and that one-two punch, we believe, is going to continue to drive our business," he said during an E3 investors meeting last week.

"The consumer today can get a Wii configuration that has two fantastic pieces of software and a Wii Motion Plus for $199, and the consumer is responding. We believe that the consumer will respond to Donkey Kong Country Returns [http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC4ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277238960&sr=1-1], and to all of these fantastic franchises that we're bringing to bear," he continued. "If we continue to execute that, we will continue to widen the gap versus the other home consoles and that is the key because as you drive the installed base... That's how you drive software sales and monetize this business moving forward. We believe that's the right formula."

Okay, it's not exactly scorched earth, but the message is clear enough: Nintendo's still got some bullets in the chamber. Kinect and Move may be more technologically advanced but when it comes down to games, Nintendo's lineup is looking pretty solid while the current Kinect catalog looks an awful lot like what Nintendo already brought to the party three years ago.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253019?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I kind of don't doubt it... The Wii and Nintendo handhelds have crushed other consoles sales wise. Isn't it kind of stating the obvious?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Well depends how many kids/teenagers w/e want to bring their 360 or PS3 downstairs so their family can play some casual games on it? I don't like playing games downstairs with my family watching, it's the reason I don't play the Wii as often as I would.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
This remains to be seen, of course, but personally I think the Kinect and Move are too expensive to compete for the Wii's target audience. Including the console costs, they're too expensive for me too.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Well well well, look who's being haughty now.

Actually, I always hated Reggie since the Mother 3 Debacle.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
I'd like to see an attach rate chart for all 3 consoles. I think the Wii would struggle to get over 2 per machine or any past the bundled games.

Pat728

Feb 21, 2010
Haha, Reggie is the best. Nintendo did have a good E3 this year. I doubt the kinect will really do very well against the wii. However, playstation's wii rip off could actually be pretty good. It's basically the wii in HD, while kinect is basically the wii but even less responsive.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
I think he makes a good point. I can't get my head around why the casual audience would abandon the Wii they've come to know and love (and buy things for) in favor of another similar rig for hundreds of dollars more.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I wouldn't exactly call Metroid, Kirby and Donkey Kong a great software lineup. It is just three games after all. Microsoft don't have much coming up either that isn't for Kinect, so I think Sony have a the best upcoming set of games, even if they aren't Move exclusive so probably won't have as many sales there. Nintendo have been resting on the same characters for far too long. My most anticipated games on PS3 are both completely new, (Journey and The Last Guardian).
This comment sounds fanboy-ish I know, but it annoys me how Nintendo sound as if they believe they're superior to everyone else around them, when they're not. (except in sales figures, but that's never been tied to quality has it.)

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
They should have saved their motion controls for next gen instead of trying to force it on us half way through this cycle.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Of those games Reggie listed, which one is not like the others? If you said Wii Party (which sadly will probabloy outsell the others 2:1) you win a cookie!

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
well this argument is true against Microsoft right now, but Sony's got a decent line-up of games coming up. I think the PS3 is gonna rise in the next year.

Also, unless Wii makes more games for mature gamers that aren't rip-offs of its previous titles, I for one am never favoring the Wii over the other 2.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gh0st1y_H said:
Not quite the right image to use with a topic like this...
Isn't it? Can't you just picture him going "Whaddyou want, motherfugga? You want some a' this? You want some? Bring it, bitches"

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
El Poncho said:
Well depends how many kids/teenagers w/e want to bring their 360 or PS3 downstairs so their family can play some casual games on it? I don't like playing games downstairs with my family watching, it's the reason I don't play the Wii as often as I would.
Is it now standard practice for kids to have a TV and latest generation console in their room? I hate to pull a "back in my day" tirade, but the only piece of electronics that lived in my room when I was young was the alarm clock/radio.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Haw, that picture...

I expected smack talk, but I've seen none to be fair. And to the poster somewhere above me, to be fair I don't think he was being haughty at all, he could have been far worse, as other industry heads have shown us. Ultimately he's right, people buy Nintendo consoles for the big name franchises, and they seem to be delivering piece by piece.

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
Well, on one hand, I, as a not motion controlling, comparibly hardcore gamer (I'm here aren't I?) thought that the PS3 and 360 controllers were rubbish, but then something occurred to me. People who bought the wii did so for funziez. you don't buy a PS3 to have as your "once in a while" console, but the wii is just that. Now I have no figures, but I would imagine that there are a hell of a lot more people who play video games casually then do as a hobbie. therefore, they are more than happy to just keep buying all the same mario/kirby/donkeykong titles with different adjectives and numbers attached.

In summary, I guess Nintendo gets more money because of casual gamers (you know, every family on the block) then microsoft and sony do from there more dedicated fanbase; and that president dude is full of shit. Suddenly there console doesn't get the auto win for having the cool controls, and when people start going, "hey i could get a bluray with my wii..." Nintendo's gonna lose some money. Sidenote: Kinnect officially seems the coolest now because I don't have to worry about throwing stuff across the room

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
John Funk said:
Gh0st1y_H said:
Not quite the right image to use with a topic like this...
Isn't it? Can't you just picture him going "Whaddyou want, motherfugga? You want some a' this? You want some? Bring it, bitches"

The article image makes me laugh every time. For some reason it's the kind of face I imagine if he does something naughty, and we're like "Oh Reggie!".

Sougo said:
well this argument is true against Microsoft right now, but Sony's got a decent line-up of games coming up. I think the PS3 is gonna rise in the next year.

Also, unless Wii makes more games for mature gamers that aren't rip-offs of its previous titles, I for one am never favoring the Wii over the other 2.
If you saying mature as in "swearing and gore" see the No More Heroes and Madworld. If you're saying mature as in "sophisticated subject matter", then I agree, but the other two home consoles only have like, what, one each? Heavy Rain and Alan Wake?