Other M Will Challenge Perceptions Say Developers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Other M Will Challenge Perceptions Say Developers

Metroid: Other M both will, and won't, be the game that people are expecting.

Metroid: Other M will be a unique take on the franchise and on the lead character Samus Aran, say designers Yoshio Sakamoto and Yosuke Hayashi. Nintendo's Sakamoto said that long-time fans will find plenty to enjoy, but that it's not just business as usual for the series.

"While we're trying to do these things that people have been clamoring for, we also don't want to do things the way people expect, because then there's no surprise," he said. "On top of that, we have to make it accessible for anybody to play."

The pair describe the Metroid series as "lonely" games, and say that that's one thing that Other M will play with: "I think the essential Metroid design is something that's very beautiful, but in each game, I think it's had a slightly different manifestation," said Team Ninja's Hayashi. "For example, if you think about Super Metroid, that was a game that was really characterized by silence."

"I think a lot of people who have been playing Metroid certainly have developed an idea of Samus as a loner," he acknowledged. "It certainly seems hard to get a sense that Samus would ever work with team members," added Sakamoto. "But because that image is so prevalent, we've decided to play with it a little bit. So you'll find that she does have team members fighting alongside her, but, at the same time, the focus, from the narrative perspective, is going to always be on what she's thinking. We want people to get to know Samus this time around."

From the trailers we've seen so far, Other M looks like a pretty solid Metroid title from a gameplay point of view, and it will be interesting to see how a more prominent narrative will gel with the series. Metroid: Other M is release on August 31st.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/new-metroid-to-challenge-expectations]

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
hmmm maybe by story but I'm still really not digging the gameplay they've shown.
I just cant wrap my head around the gameplay concepts.

Id still like fps or even 3ps better I think they could do the same stuff in terms of story in a game like that.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Could go very wrong in my opinion.

Imagine if Valve announced that in order to do something different and prove that Gordon Freeman is a character with depth they are going to make Half-Life 3 a third person, squad based shooter where "The Freeman" never shuts up. Always ordering people about and giving impromptu lectures on Quantum Physics and stuff.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
If it's done right, this'll be very welcome indeed.

But of course 'right' is always a subjective term. However...we'll see.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
This game is looking fair decent. Some games are making me want to get a wii...

But really the only thing that would really suprise me is if Ridley was finally gone in this one... Does anyone know if he is?

p4riah

Aug 12, 2009
As a big Metroid fan, I'm actually OK with experimenting, new gameplay, even attempting a more prominent narrative in my Metroid game. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't.

But then I read this:

Logan Westbrook said:
"On top of that, we have to make it accessible for anybody to play."
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Stop it. This needs to end. I don't usually whine about 'casual gamers', but stop making games easier! I already play everything on the hardest settings from the outset, but it's getting to the point that even that is to easy.

Oh well. Hardmode Metroid is still a challenge, so maybe it will take 3 more games before it gets too easy to bother with.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
dragon_of_red said:
This game is looking fair decent. Some games are making me want to get a wii...

But really the only thing that would really suprise me is if Ridley was finally gone in this one... Does anyone know if he is?
When has Ridley's death ever stopped them before. There'll be a Ridley. Even if it's a mecha parasite demon clone, there will be a Ridley.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Arachon said:
Oh dear... They're going to make her talk, aren't they?
She talks throughout the trailers, and luckily her voice isn't awful.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least it proves they are willing to experiment and change the formula a little! Looking forward to seeing how it will change what people already understand as been the established metroid!

Mr.Kitetsu

Mar 7, 2010
they deserve a chance to diversify
just as along as this "partner" gets plenty of non repeated dialogue
and isn't voiced by someone who has a helium tank straped to their back

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
A wise man once said: "I could make Halo. Easily. But I don't want to make the games that people want, I want to make the games that people don't even know they want yet." Or something to that effect :|
His name, was Shigeru Miyamoto.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
p4riah said:
Stop it. This needs to end. I don't usually whine about 'casual gamers', but stop making games easier! I already play everything on the hardest settings from the outset, but it's getting to the point that even that is to easy.

Oh well. Hardmode Metroid is still a challenge, so maybe it will take 3 more games before it gets too easy to bother with.
Oh for gods's sake get the fuck over yourself. Not everyone masturbates to hard mode in video games. I've been gaming for over 20 years and I am MORE than happy with Normal or even Easy modes (provided they don't screw the players over by holding back content on those settings). It has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with being available to casual gamers and has everything to do with knowing how to make a game properly.

Going overboard with all kinds of crap in order to stump gamers, make them want to break their controllers, or just flat out seemingly insult their intelligence with mundane challenges that require the level of skill that the common normal (ie: not casual) gamer is not going to possess. Super Metroid could be unbelievably easy or gods-damned hard depending on HOW you play it. And that's really all you need for most games. Games should be as hard or as easy as you make it on yourself. Leave extra power-ups behind, don't get extra lives, etc. Challenge yourself if you must but don't force that shit down the throats of everyone else who may not have an appetite for it. This is one of the reasons that almost nobody beat games like Battletoads, Contra, Ninja Gaiden and so forth legitimately.

That's right, that's the dirty secret. Back in the old days people clamoured for cheat codes built directly into games, always trying to find something to give them an edge. I know, I was there. Game Genie was so popular Nintendo tried to sue the developer.. and LOST. Things like the Konami code were equally vital. It didn't matter that later on they may not have needed them, the point is that they were essential to help players get better at the game. Not everyone may have used them, but a hell of a lot of them did.

As for Samus' voice... it's not Jennifer Hale (Samus' original voice actor) so I found her new voice less than convincing. She's been given far more sex appeal than was ever necessary. Her voice is sultry like she's getting ready to seduce an enemy ala Lara Croft. What happened to the cold and emotionless Samus that was supposed to keep her identity a secret? There's a reason no one knew her identity in Metroid 1.. cause she didn't want people knowing! It was supposed to be a secret known only to the damned gamers, not to the whole freaking Federation and universe at large. Gods, Nintendo drove the series into the dirt.

Yeah I'll probably buy the game, or at least rent it to see if it's worth the money most games aren't worth these days.. but it isn't everything and a bag of chips like they're claiming, I'm just gonna laugh and say "I told you so". I don't trust Team Ninja as far as I can throw them, and I haven't trusted Nintendo with the series since Prime 2 and MZM. They should have just stuck to the storyline in Fusion where the Federation became the villains.

EDIT: I'm sorry for coming off particularly frothy there.. it's just a pet peeve of mind that people instantly assume game difficulty is proportional to fun. I'm perfectly happy with games that deliver a happy medium. What I think is more important is the depth the game has, and whether or not it's going to be fun. I could care less if it doesn't meet the challenge requirements of players who can beat Dante Must Die mode blind-folded, and eat Ninja Gaiden 2 Xbox in their sleep... I just want the game to be fun, enjoyable, and NOT inspire hatred and loathing for the creators after I die 10 times in a row (ala Hunters) to a PIT of all things.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I for one am glad Samus is going to talk in this one. She could be a very interesting character, but not until she's developed more. And that means doing things like giving her an inner monologue (like in Metroid: Fusion) or letting her talk. You can't develop a character if they can't communicate somehow with the audience. This is why Gordon Freeman, no matter how great the Half-Life games are (and don't get me wrong, they are great), has absolutely zero personality.

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
Hiroshi Mishima said:
I just want the game to be fun, enjoyable, and NOT inspire hatred and loathing for the creators after I die 10 times in a row (ala Hunters) to a PIT of all things.
But you don't want there to be games designed for people other than you.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I cant wait for it.

I really like they more story driven aspect of the game, i thought Fusion was excellent in that aspect as well.
And i do agree that Samus is a loner but, i think she could work really well with partners.
She probable just LIKES to Hunt alone.
And it works for her.

Anyway.
Samus looks great and Sounds great too(And Team Ninja kept it in their pants while Designing her!), the Gameplay looks fun, and the art.......its amazing.

Whatever Nintendo and Team Ninja have planned im looking foreword to it.

Unless its a Metroid:Extreme Beach.
Do not want.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Huh, challenging preconceptions sounds edgy and artistic and all, but I'm a little worry. You see, I have preconceptions about this game myself: A) I preconceive that I will enjoy it, B) I preconceive that it will be fun, and C) I preconceive that it will have an storyline that is both interesting and unobtrusive to the flow of the gameplay. Will they instead make an unenjoyable, unfun game, with a boring storyline that constantly gets in the way of playing the game? Is this actually going to be Crisis Core?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really hope they dont fuck this up, I love metroid and I will be very put off if they fuck this up

it looks pretty cool so far but so did mercs 2