Cliff Bleszinski: Don't Punish Pre-Owned Buyers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cliff Bleszinski: Don't Punish Pre-Owned Buyers

Epic Games frontman Cliff Bleszinski thinks that the industry is rightly "scared" of used game sales - but that punishing the people who buy them isn't the way to go.

In case you haven't noticed, the pre-owned game trade has become a bit of a hot topic in the industry lately. Publishers and developers see no money from used game sales, but retailers like GameStop that encourage it defend the practice, saying that it lets consumers purchase more games.

One increasingly-common solution is EA's "Project Ten Dollar" approach, which gives people who buy new games free DLC that otherwise must be purchased for about $10. It encourages people to buy the game new, and lets the publisher get some money even from pre-owned buyers - and similar plans have been adopted (or considered) by Sega [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98808-EA-Sports-Jumping-On-Project-Ten-Dollar-Bandwagon].

But in an interview with Joystiq about Gears of War 3 [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/22/cliff-bleszinski-gears-of-war-3-interview/], Epic Games headliner Cliff(y B)leszinski said that he and his company weren't sure if they necessarily wanted to follow suit with taking things away from the people who bought the game pre-owned.

"We want to find ways to positively incentivize first-time buyers to pick up the game new. Penalizing is not the best way to deal with things like that. You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar," said Bleszinski.

That doesn't mean that he's unsympathetic to the problem of other developers, though. "[The industry] is nervous, right? It's very scared about used game sales." Gears is renowned for its multiplayer experience, but Bleszinski acknowledged that other genres carried additional risks. "I wouldn't want to make a horror game right now - that's only single-player - because a lot of players are like, 'I rented it.'"

"You want to make a game that has a great single-player experience, but continues online, continues to breath." But, on the other hand, punching in a 15-digit code every time you get a new game gets old, he said. "I put the game in and just ignore the code. It could be like free beer for life and I'd be like 'whatever.' So there's got to be other ways to do it. We'll see."

I dunno, Cliffy. If it were free beer for life, I think I'd go through the trouble, personally.

Free beer aside, the man has a point, and I think lots of gamers would agree that punishing pre-owned buyers doesn't feel right. But the trouble is, how do you do that without DLC codes and the like?

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/22/cliff-bleszinski-gears-of-war-3-interview/])

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Free avatar items, themes and gamer pics would probably do it. Small, meaningless incentives that would otherwise cost the gamer a small amount of cash.

I honestly think it would work, people like small pointless free things.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Legion has some good suggestions. I would also say that if your DLC is good value and of good enough quality then pre-owned players will buy your DLC and you will make money.

Jul 22, 2009
I don't mind ten dollar... it works and it's not "punishing" pre owned users per se.

Still I want to see Cliffys big idea before I say ten dollar's better.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
The man has a point. I bought Gears of War 2 new and I got the Flashback Map pack as a part of it. That's something I could never get on a pre-owned copy.

The only problem is that Used games are put in the same category as piracy, which is just stupid. When you buy a game, you're buying the license to play it, as well as doing whatever the fuck you want to do with it. Why try to prevent consumer rights?

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Holy crap - an industry personality that game buyers, even pre-owned buyers are still game buyers.

respect +1.

-m

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2010
I think one of the best things game developers could do is focus on the longevity of their games. Similar to a point Mr Bleszinski brought up, players may be less likely to sell games that have good replay value. With fewer games sold second-hand, this market will die down.

Il_Exile_lI

Jun 23, 2010
I'm of the belief that anyone who considers themselves a gamer has a responsibility to buy games new. Now, its one thing to buy a 20 year old NES game off ebay but to buy a game used 3 days after release for $5 less than new at Gamestop is a disservice to the people that made it. Gamestop is basically a pawn shop disguising itself as a legit retailer and they are ripping off the consumer and the developer/publisher with the way they do used games. It is our responsibility as gamers to put our hard earned money into the pockets of the developers that make these games so they can continue to make more, as opposed to making the Gamestop executives even richer.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Well I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the best possible way to get people like me to buy new games would be to lower the prices. Obvious, I know, but as long as you have a used game market at pawn shops driving prices down, I can't be bothered with buying a 60 to 70 dollar game that would literally bankrupt me for the week. The used game market exists because of the way the games industry is run, companies need to look at their own policies and realize that those have to change if they want to get more revenue.

Trust me, the one thing I cannot stand is when a new game comes with DLC, it actually makes me avoid buying the product new. Call me old fashioned, but I remember my days as a kid, fishing through the used PC games in EB. Please stop trying to destroy my childhood memories. Sorry, game companies, but you DO NOT have a right to completely control the game market.

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
But you also have to consider that some people can't afford to keep buying all of these big blockbuster titles brand new, it costs a lot of money. Pre-owned is sometimes the only way somebody can enjoy gaming and I don't think you can deny them that just to be greedy.

DRD 1812

Mar 1, 2010
Matt_LRR said:
Holy crap - an industry personality that game buyers, even pre-owned buyers are still game buyers.

respect +1.

-m
A pre-owned buyer isn't really a buyer. None of that money goes to the game developers, just the retailers, and considering the relationship between retailers and publishers borders on actively hostile it's practically like funding "the enemy".

I don't understand what Cliffy is getting at with, "more flies with honey than with vinegar..." The free $10 worth of DLC is honey to entice people to buy the game new.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
... Epic Games headliner Cliff(y B)leszinski ...
I don't get it. Is that a joke that's gone straight over my head? Or a typo?

On topic: Surprising piece of thoughtfulness from Mr Bleszinski. I remember what he had to say about Mirror's Edge...

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
DRD 1812 said:
Matt_LRR said:

respect +1.

-m
A pre-owned buyer isn't really a buyer. None of that money goes to the game developers, just the retailers, and considering the relationship between retailers and publishers borders on actively hostile it's practically like funding "the enemy".

I don't understand what Cliffy is getting at with, "more flies with honey than with vinegar..." The free $10 worth of DLC is honey to entice people to buy the game new.
In this response: someone who has bought the industry complaints hook, line, and sinker.

Used game buyers are game buyers. Period. Who the money goes to and in what quantity on any given transaction are entirely irrelevent factors. The fact is that used game trades and sales help to drive new game sales, and provde more people the opportunity to play more games, leading them to become fans of series they otherwise could not afford to have gotten into. A used game buyer is a potential lifetime customer, has increased their buying power on future purchases, and has committed no illegal or immoral act. Punishing them is unfair and greedy.

A used market is a product of a healthy industry, and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

-m