E3 2010: Playing With Myself, Impressions of Kinect

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3 2010: Playing With Myself, Impressions of Kinect

Playing with Kinect feels natural, but I wonder if I'll want to stand for that long.

After all of the hype, many people are curious as to how Kinect feels when playing an actual game. While I didn't get a chance to play any of Microsoft's first party titles, I was able to check out the interface and gameplay of Adrenalin Misfits at the Konami booth. You can check out the full coverage of that game here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101461-E3-2010-Adrenalin-Misfits-for-Kinect-Hands-Off-and-Body-On], but I want to share my impressions of the Kinect controller as a whole.

For Kinect to work, you have to physically situate your body into the correct viewing angle. Accomplishing that task took a lot of moving forward and backward so that my image was shown in a box without any part of me sticking out. Once that was done, I was instructed to raise my hand and then I could proceed with the demo. I'm not sure that you have to do this for every title, and I see why a baseline is important to establish, but the process could quickly get annoying.

Playing with the interface isn't quite Minority Report. Perhaps it was the busy-ness of E3 behind me, but navigating the menus and selecting which game to play was not quite as easy as flicking my hand. Sometimes it flicked too much, skipping ahead to the next menu item, and sometimes it was non-responsive, forcing me to wave my hand like an idiot. But like when the Wii first came out, you have to learn the language of the motion interface. The Wii forced you to use small, fine movements but Kinect seems to register bigger movements much better.

Playing a game that has you racing snowboards down a slope is a perfect fit for Kinect. You can lean forward or backward and steer reliably that way. When I jumped, my character jumped on the screen, and if I raised a leg in the jump or twisted around 360 degrees, the corresponding action occurred in the game. Kinect works as advertised; I was effectively controlling a videogame without holding anything.

The biggest problem that I foresee with using Kinect is that it seems difficult, perhaps impossible, to use while sitting down. I don't know about you, but the premise of playing an RPG or a shooter for several hours at a time, like I currently do, while standing is a bitter pill to swallow. We play games to escape from our physical bodies; a game controller which is your body simply won't work for the long play sessions that I frequently find myself in.

That being said, the social aspect of Kinect is its biggest draw, at least for me. I loved playing Wii bowling with my buddies when it came out and I think that Kinect will serve the same function. Too bad the bowling game designed for it seemed to suck. Still, I'm sure that the launch titles that Microsoft has lined up will be more robust than Wii Sports, and not having to switch around Wii remotes after every frame will make it all the easier to drink beer and game.

The possibilities for such an input are intriguing. Using an imaginary sword to fight off the rampaging hordes, or even Darth Vader, will be a lot of fun, but I'm not sold on it as a way for me to consistently play games. I'm interested to see what game designers like Peter Molyneux will do with the technology, and I challenge them to come up with compelling reasons to keep me out of my comfy chair.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I like the facial and voice recognition and see a lot of potential as far as that goes, but as a whole I still think this sounds like an Eyetoy 2.0. And I'm hearing very mixed opinions coming from those who tried it. Did you know it apparently has trouble if the player is wearing black? That BETTER be fixed by the time of release.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Been waiting for this and...I CALLLED IT! Long play session would be impractical. And I still can't imagine how you command your avatar to shoot or swing swords. Its like trying to imagine what is outside of the universe, I can't do it. I mean if you are pretending you are holding a gun and pull an imaginary trigger, you would look like an epic douche not to mention stupid.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
How you look is NOT IMPORTANT. You are playing a game and watching the TV...not the player.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
See, I think this'd be cool in a tekkie kind of sense where a hologram projected a game world around you a little that others could see, because then it wouldn't look so silly.

But that's years off :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its a point I totally agree me. I like sitting down when I play games...not running about, ducking and weaving...just takes it all away.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
soapyshooter said:
... Long play session would be impractical...
Bingo! Totally agree, but this is extremely practical in a casual gamer sense. The ADD populous of today [casual gamers] need short bursts of gaming or they'll lose their nuggets. Core gamers might try it but controllers won't stop being the primary interaction method for core games. If the companies decide you have to be standing up for an fps that I plan to play for 4 hours straight, I'll flip.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
soapyshooter said:
Been waiting for this and...I CALLLED IT! Long play session would be impractical. And I still can't imagine how you command your avatar to shoot or swing swords. Its like trying to imagine what is outside of the universe, I can't do it. I mean if you are pretending you are holding a gun and pull an imaginary trigger, you would look like an epic douche not to mention stupid.
What they should do is make the gun fire when you say "Pew pew" and that would be entertainment for the whole family right there. You could set up hidden cameras and upload that to Youtube. It would make millions laugh.

I am not sure of the Kinect, as it is it doesn't impress me. I got a Wii for motion control and a 360 for most other games, and a PC for fps and rts games.

killgannon

Jan 19, 2009
I've pretty much lost interest in this to be honest, it's just too expensive I can't justify it. Even if the rumours about it being £200 over here aren't true and it's closer to the £100 that the US are getting it for it still doesn't seem worth it. I might pick one up later second hand after a price drop but nowhere near launch.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
seems interesting at the least...although i have heard that is you wear Black it completely fucks up how the Xbox reads you. anyway i still think the BEST thing Kinect is good for is that fitness game from Ubisoft that teaches you how the exercises, and that Harmonix dance game that actually makes you dance instead of using a DDR pad

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Sure, if you can bring some awesome games with immersive and responsive controls, then I will gladly put up the effort and exert myself for several hours at a time.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
It's always seemed like a terrible idea to me. The idea of complete motion control by the users body is interesting, but it only works in short burst. I've played arcade games, seveb years ago (they beat you Natal), that recognize player movement, but the games only for five or ten minutes. There's no way you could make a serious game based on that, lasting between 6 to 20 hours. As an example, having to walk a kilometer between locations in Fallout 3. The only thing it could be used for is shovelware, quick games that are played at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I highly doubt my grandpa could handle the full body recognition at this point, where your feet move, how your arm moves, but he can handle a Wiimote because it's just pulling back and going forward. People who call themselves gamers are fine with sitting down with a controller and putting a few hours into a game and relaxing. Even casual gamers who play for an hour or two a week still aren't going to feel like getting up and jumping around like a jackass when they can just wave a wiimote and have fun. I also find it interseting that the "Kinect Rave" video, and other videos when it was called Natal show four people having fun with it, when the article states it was hard to get even one person to fit into the viewing angle. If it's an ass-ache for one person to get it right, imagine getting two adults, and two hyperactive children into the right place, if it can even recognize that many movements. And I can't imagine how it could handle it when two people get into the same recognition 'box'.

Dragu_

Jun 23, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Yeah, having to be in front of the TV is rather crazy as far as the the writer of the story goes.

Having to position yourself in a congruent fashion is also more than one should ask of a 'hard crap gamer'. (Yeah, that was a dig at all you obnoxious types)

I know the writers try to flame the titles of all the stories posted on this website.... but seriously.... are we all that dumb? (Seems that way, since the majority of the posts here are 'r u ragin bout that neu thing?')

I guess so.

Let us all play with our selves and realize that we are not fit enough, nor responsible enough, to even make it to the halfway point of these new 'games'.

So sad for us.
I don't understand your post, your point, or half the sentences in that. If English is your second language I understand of course, but if not...just try a little harder next time to say something coherently.