APB Charging to Remove Ads from Voice Chat

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
APB Charging to Remove Ads from Voice Chat

APB [http://www.amazon.com/All-Points-Bulletin-Pc/dp/B002BS480M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277396864&sr=8-1] users are faced with a choice: Listen to the occasional advert on the game's voice chat, or pay a small fee to remove them.

Earlier today, posters on the forums [http://na.apb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21302] for crime MMOG APB noticed a button on the accounts page which gave players to pay a small fee to remove VOIP ads for periods of 30, 90 and 180 days. This seemed to be first that the APB community had heard about the ads, and was obviously a source of some concern.

A few hours later, a community officer for Realtime Worlds posted on the forums [http://na.apb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21382] and outlined exactly the extent of the advertising. Players will only hear an ad when then enter a new zone, and then only once every three hours, even if the player changes zones during that period. The community officer seemed to imply [http://na.apb.com/forums/showpost.php?p=300225&postcount=26] that the ads, and the charge to remove them, were because the VOIP was being provided by third party Vivox.

Reactions to the news have been mixed. Some have accepted is as a fairly minor intrusion, while others feel that in-game advertising in a game that carries a monthly fee is unacceptable, regardless of how unobtrusive it is. Others are upset that this was kept secret until so close to the game's launch, as many have already pre-ordered it.

APB is released on June 29th in North America, July 1st in Europe, and July 2nd in the UK.

Source: Massively [http://www.massively.com/2010/06/24/apbs-voice-chat-feature-will-contain-advertisements]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Ooooooooor use the very nice sounding Teamspeak 3? or the slightly older Ventrilo?

Not impressed, APB.

But meh, its only once every 3 hours. I suppose its fine as long as your not doing the equivalent of raiding.

"Deo I need a heal-Head on, Apply Directly to the forehead"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
I can see Blizzard doing a similar move after launching Cataclysm.
I really see this thing as a new(bad) level for MMO's. In-game advertising.
Edit: Friend of mine predicted this would happen sooner or later.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This would bee acceptable in a free-to-play game. Not so in a pay-to-play.

I won't be trying this.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Would in Game ads, like virtual Billboards, Car Radios, cars themeselves, Get the adds across just as well without pissing off alot of people?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
If it's subscription based, then there's not excuse for in-game advertising. There's even less of an excuse to CHARGE even MORE money to turn it off. The whole thing about using 3rd party VOIP simply means that you couldn't be arsed to make your own. Fortunately, I'm sure that most players will just turn off the in-game VOIP and use their own (Ventrilo, TS, etc.).

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Wait... so this is a fee added on top of the normal subscription rates? Wtf, how does that make sense? Basically just means that they're pillaging our wallets beyond belief. I do not approve.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
It's not a bad idea, but honestly, the Adverts don't sound that bad. 3 hours is a pretty long time and you'll probably not even notice them. Plus, I'm not the kind of player to play an MMO for 3 hours.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Jandau said:
If it's subscription based, then there's not excuse for in-game advertising. There's even less of an excuse to CHARGE even MORE money to turn it off. The whole thing about using 3rd party VOIP simply means that you couldn't be arsed to make your own. Fortunately, I'm sure that most players will just turn off the in-game VOIP and use their own (Ventrilo, TS, etc.).
Yes, but what happens if you just want to play a random game with people you don't know? Use voice chat and get a lovely ad every 5 mins or so?
This is by far the worst idea of ingame ads I have ever come across. Billboards, fine. Vending machines, fine. Posters, fine. Annoying ad that come out of nowhere, immersion breaking and bullshit.
Sorry, not wasting my money on APB if it does stuff like this.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Subliminal messaging... clever.

Suit #1: "Gamers are in a trance when playings these games, I argue that we can control their need to purchase things if we send an advertisement whilst their playing!"

Big Boss: "Genius! You sir just earned yourself a promotion!"

Rational Person: "Of course there are other companies that are free, we can just team up with them an--"

Big Boss: "You, however, earned yourself a pink slip! Clear out your desk by Friday!"

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Subscriptions + purchasable things making your gameplay experience much better/less annoying?

Hyperventilation... I mean, hyperfail.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Maybe in the non-action districts I could see it working since you don't need to pay to access time in those districts but in Action Zones its completely unacceptable. You have to pay for time in those districts AND a small fee so you're not given ads?

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
It's probably not game breaking, but it seems like a bad start for a game trying to compete in the MMO marketplace. In one article I've gone from never hearing about a game to being quite sure I'll never buy it. Not the best publicity.

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Or just turn off voice chat. I always have in every online game I've ever played. I have yet to encounter an in-game voice channel not seemingly populated by whiny teenagers.

/getting old blog

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
So, they are getting money for the ads, and getting more money from the people who don't want to hear the ads... And I'm assuming you also have to pay to play in like with WoW? Damn developers are getting greedy now days...

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
Big effing deal. Just like anything involving money, except maybe taxes, you have a choice whether to pay it or not. This is the same as people complaining that they have to use Cryptic Points to play as a Ferengi in Star Trek Online. Until your computer comes with a claw that strangles you until you feed it $10, these arguments have no leg to stand on.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
you could just not play the game. \o_O/ haven't seen much of the hype train on my end so... yeah. sucks for you suckas who pre-ordered :p