Take-Two Aims For One New IP Per Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take-Two Aims For One New IP Per Year

Take-Two Interactive [http://www.take2games.com/] would like to introduce one new IP per year, which it hopes will help it shed the image of being merely the company that publishes Grand Theft Auto.

Take-Two actually has a pretty amazing stable of game franchises, including delays [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=manhunt&x=14&y=27].

That's not quite how Take-Two sees things, however. As Vice President of Corporate Communications Alan Lewis pointed out, the company took criticism for pushing back Red Dead Redemption, yet when it came out it was a critical and commercial hit.

"The title had moved, as people know, and I think if you look at the quality of the game and what it's doing in the market, the fact is that it illustrates that to make a great game, sometimes you need to give the developers ample time to make something great," Lewis told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29035/Interview_TakeTwo_Aims_For_One_New_IP_Per_Year_But_High_Quality_Needs_Ample_Time.php]. "We certainly feel like it was worth the additional time that was put in. Not only the quality, but the consumer response has shown us it is worthwhile to do that."

"We don't take the movement of any title lightly, but I think that what you're seeing with Red Dead Redemption underscores the fact that when you do have to make those difficult decisions, ultimately those results will benefit everybody," he added.

Lewis said Take-Two believes that the time invested in establishing top-quality franchises will pay off in the long run with a range of games that will serve as a counterweight to Grand Theft Auto, although he acknowledged that the company needs to step it up in some areas. "We've spoken publicly about our desire and need to improve upon our execution, and we've made strides in doing that," he said. "Every year we're going to try to introduce at least one new IP that we hope over the long term will work well for us."

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
BioShock [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=bioshock&x=0&y=0]
Forgive me if wrong, but Bioshock was 2K games right?

Either way, sounds like a new reason to say "I feel like pumping out games." Can we take our time on these games? Take it sloooowwwlly and caaalllmly. Eh?

Calumon: Hey Jack, Duke Nukem Forever and Daikatana.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
Sounds like an alright initiative. I never complain about new IPs, as long as they're done well.

What I really like about 2K is their "it's done when it's done" attitude, as displayed in this article. I really think it does wonders to improve the games they publish.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Orcus_35 said:
What's an IP ?

a game project?
I wonder to. I know soo many "IP"'s

Internet provider, instruction pointer, internet Protocol ,intellectual property and many more.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If they can do it, and have the committment to do it, better than some companies out there now who are only sucking on the remains of there last good game

Apr 28, 2008
Orcus_35 said:
What's an IP ?

a game project?
mad825 said:

Internet provider, instruction pointer, internet Protocol ,intellectual property and many more.
Intellectual Property

It basically means new games that are original and not sequels.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm okay with new IP's, I just wonder if the new IP's will be worth much.

Orcus_35 said:
What's an IP ?

a game project?
mad825 said:

An Intellectual Property, for point of knowledge. Basically franchise names, in this context. Mario, Zelda, Halo, Gears of War, God of War, Final Fantasy, et cetra et cetra, ad infinitum.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I like the way this company is thinking. New IPs are definately a nice way to branch out into different areas of gaming.

Hopefully the new IPs won't just be new FPSs...

mr_mlk

Mar 14, 2008
HG131 said:
Hey Take Two, why not just capitalize on that little IP you stole from Bungie, Oni?
Stole? So bought off Bungie or paid Bungie to make?

HG131 said:
EDIT: To clarify, Bungie made the game and all, but they own it. Kinda unfair, don't ya think?
No. Sounds like every other kind of transaction. I'm sure you did not make your computer from the ground up, but each component is yours.