Stolen Pixels #206: Whose Side Am I on, Anyway?

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #206: Whose Side Am I on, Anyway?

Calling the plot of Alpha Protocol "complicated" is like calling a bonfire fire "slightly warm."

Read Full Article

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This comic reminds me of the many times I tried to make heads or tails of the movie Primer. Or the ending of Basic (a misleading title if ever there was one). Con-Fu-Sing.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I'd like to see a spy film which depicts the complete collapse of world's governments, World War III, and the downfall of human civilization - all because in the opening scene the protagonist shoots down Mi-24 heli in 90s Russia, and a janitor killed by it was actually A VERY IMPORTANT GUY[sup]TM[/sup].

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I know that feeling...I never got her character, she just turns up and he suddenly has romantic intrest...without knowing a thing!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
This comic totally sounds like something you'd hear in Archer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_%28TV_series%29], that last line especially.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I actually thought it was fairly straightforward, though I never did figure out precisely why certain factions like G22 were involved (though the full dossier entry for Alpha Protocol has given me some... interesting ideas about their possible origin). Well, straightforward in the sense that yeah, it's a tad convoluted at the beginning of each specific operation but by the end you have a fairly clear picture of what you were trying to accomplish. Italy was probably the vaguest initially, as all you know is there's an Al-Samad cell active but not why or how that relates to the PMC that is secretly evil. Still, easy enough to figure out what was going on, and you'll know why if you hack the various laptops you find in the last mission.

If you'd been playing the game in small chunks though I can see how that might make it harder to keep things straight. I can't say I ever got any of the various characters mixed up though, they're not especially "samey" after all. Especially the female characters (all of whom you can sleep with, you actually get a perk for doing just that which gives you an additional 5 AP points. Well, all the female characters who talk anyways.).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Like I said, this game is a disaster. Ohwait..Did I bring down the wrath of many people on my nec now?! D:
The gameplay doesn't look bad to me, though. And I mean, there's got to be some fun in being a dick to everyone you meet, right? If it dips below something like £20, I might give it a buy.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Awesome, truly awesome.
I haven't played the game and I don't know that I will (not enough time for games right now and I'll probably forget about it later, unless it turns out to be an amazing game that sticks around forever), but this comic made me laugh.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Like I said, this game is a disaster. Ohwait..Did I bring down the wrath of many people on my nec now?! D:
Except it wasn't, and I am getting increasingly worried that Shamus has been playing a completely different game to the people that actually played Alpha Protocol...

The storyline isn't that hard to follow, but after the ammount of ramming my head into a brick wall I've had trying to explain the utterly simple storylines in games like Modern Warfare 2 and Borderlands, I'm both unsurprised at this development and uninterested in trying to explain it.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Sparrow said:
Straying Bullet said:
The gameplay doesn't look bad to me, though. And I mean, there's got to be some fun in being a dick to everyone you meet, right? If it dips below something like £20, I might give it a buy.
I think Mass Effect 1 + 2 would meet that little dick inside of you better. Renegade is awesome in Mass Effect as some of it has far reaching consequences if you choose to import.
Worry not. I own both, and have hit the same reporter twice in one character.

[sup]There's got to be some kind of arrest scene for criminal intent for the third time... that is, if you're not longer a Spectre. Die, C-Sec, die![/sup]

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Haha, I love the reporter's expression in the last panel

"Oh God, what did I deserve to get this idiot dumped on my head?"

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
Jaredin said:
I know that feeling...I never got her character, she just turns up and he suddenly has romantic intrest...without knowing a thing!
Sounds like most men. "You're female. Let's shag."

But yeah, this is convoluted. It helps when a game comes with a built in notebook for you to write down what you're doing to who and why. "Kill X because Y says they work for Z. Capture instead of kill X because A says Y works for Z. Nuke planet from orbit, because A, X, and Y all work for Z, and Z works for B, and B is resurrecting the Old One C."