When Games are Sold Like Guns: An Interview with the ECA's Hal Halpin

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006

In April of this year, the United States Supreme Court [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100643-Gaming-Faces-Its-Single-Most-Important-Challenge-at-the-Supreme-Court] announced that they had agreed to hear a case submitted by the State of California over whether or not to legislate the sale of videogames to minors. The case, being called "Schwarzenegger vs. EMA," is set to be heard later this year.

Court cases of this kind are not unusual; lawmakers have been attempting to legislate federal control over game sales for years. What is unusual is that a case of this kind, which have all previously been easily and immediately dismissed for Federal courts as being in direct violation of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, is being heard by the highest court in the land.

The Escapist spent some time with The Entertainment Consumers Association [http://www.theeca.com/]'s Hal Halpin at this year's E3 talking about what's at stake in this landmark court case, and why gamers - all consumers, really - should be concerned even if they agree that children shouldn't play mature-rated games.

Hal Halpin: One of the key reasons for being at E3 is that we're trying to meet with all the publishers and make sure they understand that we're trying to help them with the petition and we could use their help to get the word out to consumers, to gamers.

After a decade of [game publishers] repeatedly saying "We want consumers to come up and help us with these kind of issues" and then recently being frustrated in the media saying "Where are the consumers to help us?" Well, here we are. So, now we're asking for their help to help us get more people [involved] because the bigger the petition is, the more impactful it will be.

The Escapist: That's got to be one of the biggest challenges for you guys, because the kind of gamers that would benefit from the ECA's protection are not necessarily the ones that are reading all the blogs or reading all the websites.

HH: Really, the downside consequences of a loss in the Supreme Court this fall could be staggering and widespread. The more we look at it from a legal, legislative perspective, the more dire it is.

It would have a chilling effect on the media, and we might see different games in different regions with different content - ours being sort of tamped down. The ways in which retailers might sell games could change entirely or change state by state. The ripple effects would just continue from there. It will increase into other forms of entertainment and visual entertainment and it's really important from all those legal, legislative perspectives.

For me, almost more importantly, this is a real opportunity for us to change the paradigm, change the way people view gaming and view gamers. Here we are, trying for all those years to try and change that perspective and make it so people understand that we aren't the stereotype, that everyone are gamers. They're pervasive in society and it's just as valuable as any other form of entertainment media. This is also an opportunity in that regard to work with the upside of winning with the mass media in order to get that message out.

TE: Can I get you, in your words, to sort of explain what's going on with this court case and what is actually on trial here?

HH: The most recent [case] was the State of California, which became Schwarzenegger vs. EMA. .... That wording came from Leland Yee, Senator Leland Yee's - at the time, Congressman Leland Yee's - opinion that, in his former life he was a child psychologist and he felt pretty ardently that games, because of the interactive nature of them as a medium, were different inherently than passively watching video or passively listening to music. Because of the interactive nature, they should treat it differently because you're really interacting with what's going on on the screen.

Having done a fair share of debates with him, I can tell you - I can channel him briefly - and tell you that he feels that if you watch The Sopranos and someone getting killed that it's a different experience entirely from if you were playing Grand Theft Auto and killing someone in the same sort of scenario. He feels as though that interactivity takes it to another level and therefore is harmful. He uses that as leverage in the bill to advance it through the courts. It came up to the District court level and then was turned down again on First Amendment grounds and then they appealed to the US Supreme Court.

Last September, we were expecting to hear back that they weren't going to be hearing the case because there was all this precedent before and then just recently, six weeks ago or seven weeks ago, we heard back through the Supreme Court that they were indeed going to hear the case, which was shocking to the industry and to everyone I think. It became a real cause of concern. The next step would be that mid-September, all the different amicus briefs are due and then the clerks and justices will read through them and that will help inform their opinions on background and understanding some of the idiosyncrasies along with some of the basics of the case. And then we go to trial.

TE: There have been a lot of studies on the psychology of behavior and evidence points to the fact that Yee may have a point. Children are psychologically impacted by games. Games are a very psychologically-impacting medium. Why does that not matter in this case?

HH: The vast majority of the studies, frankly, are studies that are value-less because they were done for sensational reasons on short-term impact and they are studying short-term spikes - that adrenaline. That same spike could happen if I just walk up behind you and go "boo." You'd have that spike of adrenaline, and you'd get that rush and it would go away. You probably wouldn't be traumatized unless I was really scary. The vast majority of all those studies are worthless.

Media impacts us, it does affect us. It stands to reason that we should study it. But so far the vast majority of studies single out gaming and exclude music and movies and everything else. They are rarely longitudinal in the study period and the ones that are don't necessarily inform us that it's bad. We get as much good data as we do bad data.

What we've been trying to do in the course of the last five weeks or so is we've announced that we're doing this amicus brief and we've announced that we're doing this petition [http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1781] and why it's important and that every US gamer of any age can sign onto it. It really just boils down to the fact that we believe games should enjoy the same First Amendment rights as music and movies and shouldn't be treated and legislated like tobacco, alcohol and firearms.

If you can agree with that basic statement, then you should be signing the petition, if you're five or if you're fifty. If you're a casual Facebook gamer or a die hard first person shooter fan.

TE: It seems fairly simple. "This is an imposition on First Amendment rights, go away, end of story." It's been argued over and over and over again, right? But why does it seem so complicated?

The average consumer feels it's a rather complicated issue. "Children shouldn't play horrible games." They'll agree with that. What is clouding the issue for people on terms of being able to say "I'm going to sign that petition, because, duh."

HH: Assuming that ... there are 50 million gamers in the US, I would say that the vast majority of them look at it and simply say "OK, children shouldn't be able to have access to mature content, what's the problem?" The next thing I hear right after that is usually "In the movie theatre, it's illegal to show an R-rated movie to a minor." We usually have to have one of the social networking people jump in their and say "No, no, wait a minute. That's a self-regulatory system, just like ours is."

Just because the movie theatres have done a really good job over a long period of time of keeping children out of R and NC-17 rated films doesn't mean that it's regulated by the government. The difference is significant.

We're not concerned specifically with the idiosyncrasies of the bill and where signage should or shouldn't be and whether it should be behind locked glass or any of that. Our concerns are the much bigger 30,000 foot perspective ones of "My god, what happens if this fails?" What happens to us as gamers, as consumers? What happens to our rights? What happens to the way in which we enjoy gaming? What happens to the way in which developers are able to tell their stories? You don't see those kinds of concerns. It really takes getting over all of those humps until people understand.

The people who are signing onto the petition quickly are likely the ones reading articles on the enthusiast media website and magazines where the editor already understands him or herself. Once they get it and they're explaining it really well, people get it and they're through the process already, they sign up. Once they do, a large percentage of them use the tools provided on our website to share it with social media. The vast majority of people signing on are all coming via Twitter, Facebook and all these social media apps because they see other people that they respect signing on and because those people are reading it through editors that they respect.

TE: Can you explain in nutshell broad strokes what's beyond the hard-to-get-your-head-around, esoteric First Amendment effects - what's really at stake?

HH: The easiest way to boil it down so that you don't have to think about it at all, and you want to make a decision about whether this is something you support or not is: If you're a gamer, and you care about gaming, if you care about a relative who cares about gaming, then this is a no brainer.

The reason why is because if this law passes, if we fail, the repercussions would be profound and significant in ways that don't impact other forms of entertainment. .... The ways in which it will impact things, it will impact lives of professionals, like the 45,000 people that are here, it can easily impact retail and how you interact with retailers, so instead of shopping for games like you shop for DVDs, you'd have to shop for them like you'd shop for guns.

If that doesn't bother you, then by all means, ignore us. If that is something that horrifies you in the same way it horrifies me, then please lend your voice to the choir.

TE: It seems that folks like Leland Yee never go away, or if he finally decides that it's not worth fighting anymore or he retires, that someone else will pick it up.

HH: Leland Yee - he's already promised to already bring up another piece of legislation if he fails and we succeed in the US Supreme Court. And he said that he would continue to successively do so, each time altering the piece of legislation to make it less likely to be unsuccessful.

Frankly, I can't imagine the State of California - if it goes all the way to the Supreme Court and is rejected - would permit him to waste the state's time and money further. I'm not sure it would be good for his career and his constituents would probably think "OK, seriously. Even if we agree wholeheartedly with you, for crying out loud, it's been to the Supreme Court. We appreciate your heart, but, let's move on."

TE: Doesn't that seem like a gamer mentality in a way, to keep at poking at the problem until you find a solution; just trying every iteration until you find it.

HH: It could just be a stubborn streak that we all have in common.

TE: Maybe that's the way to find common ground with Yee. "We're just like you."

HH: Why can't we all just get along?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Oh man, I hope we don't end up like Australia (no offense guys Australia.) I mean seriously, this could be very interesting. Then again, if there's something weird it usually comes from California. Infact, I change my previous statement: I hope we don't end up like California.

Feb 13, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Russ, would it be a good idea to leave Twitter/Facebook/URL links at the top/bottom of this interview so that people who want to support the movement can do with the least impunity?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
If this all goes bad, I get the feeling Americans are going to be importing uncensored games from Europe and Japan.

I hope it doesn't go bad.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
I dont care i dont play horror games anyway, they only stop me from enjoying a game

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Now I read most of this, and my understanding of it is that they want it to be possible to punish people for providing minors with access to mature rated video games...

And we're supposed to be against this?

I must have interpreted something wrong because last I checked, keeping kids from playing games intended for more mature audiences is a good thing.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I am not seeing the problem...

Here in the UK it's illegal to sell a DVD to someone who doesn't meet the age classification. They should do it with games too. A parent can buy their 15 year old, say, Kill Bill or GTA4, but the kid can't go in and buy it himself. I'm honestly not seeing the problem. As long as the highest rated games don't have to be censored.

Also, the article seems filled with hyperbole. He says a lot of stuff, but he doesn't really say anything. He doesn't support any of his statements. He'd make a great politician.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
fletch_talon said:
I must have interpreted something wrong because last I checked, keeping immature kids from playing games intended for more mature audiences is a good thing.
I don't think it's a question of age, more a question of maturity. Age is just an arbitrary number. It's for a parent to decide if their child is mature enough to handle a game that is above their age rating.

Feb 13, 2008
fletch_talon said:
I must have interpreted something wrong because last I checked, keeping kids from playing games intended for more mature audiences is a good thing.
This is part of the problem. The first part of your statement is true and right. It's the second part that needs a little looking at.

Keeping kids away from mature games is a good thing.
But "intended for mature audiences"? Nope...this is saying "Only allowed to those who can prove that they are not only above a certain age (no matter what their maturity designates), look over that certain age, can prove their above that certain age, will prove that they are not allowing any minors to ever have access to that game (really tough for parents), that they have a right to be able to see that game, that the games themselves are suitable against any political upheaval past/future and that this MUST be carried out.

Say goodbye to all Steam Sales because Steam can't PROVE you're eligible. Goodbye to Mass Effect because it contains nudity. Hello to Micro$ost, Sony, Nintendo having to have ALL of your details on file so that you can prove, at any time, that you're eligible to play that version of that game.

Political situation? Say goodbye to all flight simulators sold in the aftermath of 9/11?
Mewtwo? Nope. World of Warcraft? Addictive, so your time on it will be logged and you will be forced offline.

Just for your own safety, of course. And that of your kids.

This is the way they're getting it through the courts. NO-ONE wants a 4 year old kid playing a blood-drenched game, but some 17 year olds? Maybe. Not under this ruling. You'd need to take an ID Card or a Passport everytime you wanted to play a game.

And if a High School shooting takes place? Guess who's just been edged closer to the top of the suspect list.

And who's pushing it forward?

So, yeah...

razer17 said:

Here in the UK it's illegal to sell a DVD to someone who doesn't meet the age classification.
Games as well. £5000 on the spot fine if you're caught doing it. Same with glue, solvents, fireworks (including Chinese Lanterns), pallette knives, airhorns, scissors.

But you can't get them online. What does the online retailer do to protect themselves against £5000 fine (per customer). They can't, without all of your details...

And if an Atkinson gets in here - And Vaz is really close - all your 18 games are rendered illegal.

I admit that's a worse case scenario, but the scenario is still there. Anyone who's seen the monumental cock-ups that have happened this last year know that it's a possibility.

razer17 said:
I don't think it's a question of age, more a question of maturity. Age is just an arbitrary number. It's for a parent to decide if their child is mature enough to handle a game that is above their age rating.
I agree, which is why it's the parent's responsibility, and they should be made liable. NOT the governments, which is what this is asking for.

EmeraldGreen

Professional Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
razer17 said:
Also, the article seems filled with hyperbole. He says a lot of stuff, but he doesn't really say anything. He doesn't support any of his statements. He'd make a great politician.
I agree. He kept saying that it will impact millions of people, and I kept waiting for him to explain: impact whom? Impact how? But he doesn't.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
not being American I don't see what the fuss is about.

In the UK if anything has a certification age rating then selling it to someone under that age is illegal, seems like a pretty good system. Video games had voluntary ratings thanks to an error in the laws wording but that got fixed last year, no-one cared.

damn someone already said most of that

/quote But you can't get them online. What does the online retailer do to protect themselves against £5000 fine (per customer). They can't, without all of your details... /quote

Generally the use of a credit card is seen as enough. You have to be 18 to have most and the ones you can get at 16 are easy enough to block. There simply is no way to truly prove age.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
fletch_talon said:
Now I read most of this, and my understanding of it is that they want it to be possible to punish people for providing minors with access to mature rated video games...

And we're supposed to be against this?

I BELIEVE the general idea is that media industries in America are self-regulating, but this would make it an actual crime to sell games to minors. Honestly, living in England, where this already happens (without the sky falling, too!), I don't see the problem - it all strikes me as a knee jerk 'but they get to play with their own ratings!' rather than a rational 'well... Kids shouldn't get their hands on 18 rated games unless their parent feels they're ready.'

Also, self regulation is only good when it works. From the ammount of American kids clogging up the team chats of 18 rated games, it clearly doesn't...

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Say goodbye to all Steam Sales because Steam can't PROVE you're eligible. Goodbye to Mass Effect because it contains nudity. Hello to Micro$ost, Sony, Nintendo having to have ALL of your details on file so that you can prove, at any time, that you're eligible to play that version of that game.
The only problem with your post Root is that you contradict yourself with the following.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
razer17 said:

Here in the UK it's illegal to sell a DVD to someone who doesn't meet the age classification.
Games as well. £5000 on the spot fine if you're caught doing it. Same with glue, solvents, fireworks (including Chinese Lanterns), pallette knives, airhorns, scissors.

But you can't get them online. What does the online retailer do to protect themselves against £5000 fine (per customer). They can't, without all of your details.
Surely if Steam can't already prove your age when you buy it, they wouldn't be selling anyhing because of the number of possible fines they are open too. If thats the cae, why can I buy GTA on there (with money off too)?

I honestly can't see the problem. Hell, I'm tempted to support California because I think more should be done to keep games meant for mature audiences away from Kids. Also, isn't there already some sort of precident(sp?)in the US with the selling of Porn?

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Seem doesn't have a problem with these things in the EU, no idea why it should in the USA.

This happening is not the end times, what it does allow is for responsible retailers to point out that the game has been certificated by (in the UK's case) the same people that rate movies and it is only really suitable for people over a certain age (best you can do really, maturity is a subjective judgment)

Of course people will still ignore it, but now it's their fault, not the game makers or the retailers.

Feb 13, 2008
Plinglebob said:
The only problem with your post Root is that you contradict yourself with the following.
Look closely, no contradicition.

Surely if Steam can't already prove your age when you buy it, they wouldn't be selling anyhing because of the number of possible fines they are open too. If thats the cae, why can I buy GTA on there (with money off too)?
Because Steam doesn't have to, at the moment, deal with any need to prove age. They have a legal declaration which indemnifies them against prosecution from "fair defence".

If this comes in, Steam will have to not only protect against California (good luck proving those IP traces) but of people within California's jurisdiction, but not within their IP coverage. That means a rigorous test of identity to give 100% certainty that said purchaser is not under 18.

The UK fines are restricted to shop sales. Web sales don't suffer from that, and neither do delivered sales. With the incoming legislation, that would restrict Steam and D2D to proving the age and the identity before they could sell the game. That would require at the least a web-cam image to verify the credit card sale wasn't to the minor, under current ruling.

Also, isn't there already some sort of precident(sp?)in the US with the selling of Porn?
Only video porn. Audio, Written, Image porn is actually unrestricted, apart from the seller.

I know under English law you can be sued for not allowing a four year old to buy Penthouse if they want to.(It's really convuluted, but the customer has final choice) (They may have to get their Father's permission, but yeah...)