Molyneux: Wii and Move Are the Same

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Molyneux: Wii and Move Are the Same

What's the difference between Wii and Move? Not much, according to Peter Molyneux.

Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux says that there isn't much to tell the Wii and the PlayStation Move apart, and that he feels the technology used is too similar to really do anything new with Move.

"I find it hard in my mind to differentiate between the Sony Move and the Wii. They seem very similar in their scope. I know Sony and Nintendo would argue that they are different, but they kind of seem the same. They enable certain sorts of experiences, and they are analogous to Kinect."

Molyneux is also quick to try and counter any accusations of bias on his part - he is also the Creative Director for Microsoft Game Studios, Europe - and says that he's just speaking as a game maker: "... this is not me talking as a Microsoft employee, this is me talking as a designer, but I have to take my hat off to Microsoft, because they really did go one step beyond what they needed to do."

"It would be very easy for them to have created something like the Wii, but instead they did go that extra mile and they said, 'No, we're going to make that huge step.' I think the real benefits are going to be shown in the next wave of titles that come out."

Source: UGO [http://www.ugo.com/the-goods/peter-molyneux-wii-and-playstation-move-are-kind-of-the-same]

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
He's right, my mates are sick of me stating that the move is wii but with glowing balls but it's true!

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Got to agree, I think. I fail to see what's so different about Move and the Wiimote.

However, MS haven't done anything new, either. Kinect is just the EyeToy with a 1 Up Mushroom.

Ponchponcho

Apr 19, 2010
I hope he sees the potential for kinect and a possible Black and White 3. casting spells with hand gestures, training your monster and building structures. What I first thought when I saw kinect,"This will revolutionize rts games on consoles."

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
The reason Kinect is better than Move and Wiimote is because it rips off a technology from last gen?
Love the line "This is not me talking as a Microsoft employee".

blackhole1

Jun 7, 2010
Let's decide on it when we have the bloody thing in our hands shall we. Imagine the Wii with no response delay (PS3 is a faster machine after all). If this is the case, the difference between the two will be like night and day.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
please mister molyneux. please tell me how you can function a 'walk' control on Kinect? you want me to pretend i'm walking? Do i tell it to make me walk forward? should I be on a treadmill?

point being, I see a lot of blanks in Kinects overall design. It's impressive piece of hardware no doubt, but simple functions "like moving forward" or decided between spells in a game like Fable haven't even been explained.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, it's like the Wii, but possibly better. I need something to hold when I game, therefore I most definitely will not be buying Kinect.

Feb 13, 2008
The only use I can see for motion capture devices is sword/sabreplay, maybe conducting.

And until they can get that tech. to work accurately, it's nothing more than a stab in the dark. Literally.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
Well he's got a point, but it's a moot one. The Move's never tried to be anything more than a Wii-copy. It's a fancy Wii, that will hopefully also have some appeal to "hardcore" gamers. That's what it's always wanted to accomplish. It's a Wii, but it has the PS3's graphics, processing power, allowing for more complex games.
Not to mention that it's an add-on for the PS3, so any Move game can also take advantage of the Sixaxis controller, and not just rely on motion controls (I know the Wii also has the classic controller, but very few games actually use it properly; I hope the opposite will be true for Move games).

So fine point mister Molyneux, but it's not really one worth pointing out.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I agree, the Move is just a rip-off of the Wii.
I disagree, you are completely biased.
Its just a coincidence that he happens to be right.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, they might be the same, but at least they actually work.
And this is coming from an Xbox fan.

So, yeah, Pete, stop advertising for Kincet and go make The Movies 2.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Gladion said:
The reason Kinect is better than Move and Wiimote is because it rips off a technology from last gen?
Why use the word rip off, let alone the fact that the eyetoy was not the first game camera the technology in the kinect is far past what the eyetoy of even this generation on the ps3 is capable.
Though I still hate it, like I hate move and the wii mote.
I'll just stick with my old controllers when I can.

P.S: Peter was doing good with the whole not talking as a microsoft employee till he started pimping kinect he should have kept it at they really are just the same thing move and wii...

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Wii and Move are not the same. Wii is a konsole that moves away from the technology craze and provides new values that match better with most of the gamers. Movie and Kinect Ride on the technology wave believing that hardware will justify the lack of proper software that uses it.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
WilliamRLBaker said:
Gladion said:
Why use the word rip off, let alone the fact that the eyetoy was not the first game camera the technology in the kinect is far past what the eyetoy of even this generation on the ps3 is capable.
Though I still hate it, like I hate move and the wii mote.
I'll just stick with my old controllers when I can.

P.S: Peter was doing good with the whole not talking as a microsoft employee till he started pimping kinect he should have kept it at they really are just the same thing move and wii...
I knew I'd be quoted on this. Yeah, I'm aware the MS technology is far more advanced than the EyeToy. How much it does better we will still have to see.
We're not digging that much into technical stuff, though, or at least Molyneux doesn't so I didn't feel I'd have to. :p I could have said "Yeah, Microsoft argues the Kinect is different to the EyeToy, but they kinda seem the same... They enable certain sorts of experiences that are pretty similar."