Original GoldenEye Dev Calls Remake "Flattering"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

As gamers everywhere wonder if the new Wii remake of GoldenEye 007 can live up to the legacy of the original, one of the original developers just finds the whole thing "flattering."

In the beginning of the month, it was rumored that Activision would be they did [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101129-Rumor-GoldenEye-007-Remake-Coming-at-E3], and message boards everywhere went up in flames over whether or not the game was living up to the spirit of the iconic original title.

It might help to know that people who worked on the original game - the game that showed that real FPS titles could work on consoles before Halo solidified it - think it's cool, though. Speaking with Tim Empey [http://timempey.blogspot.com/2010/06/old-goldeneye-dev-quite-likes-new.html], Karl Hilton, current boss of Crytek UK and former developer of GoldenEye, said that he thought the game was both true to the original and "flattering."

"It's quite incredible for a game that, you know, it does get into that pantheon of classic games that people continue to talk about years and years later," said Hilton. "[The version] I saw at E3 seemed like a very nice version. It looks like they've done a very authentic job. And if there's a market out there for people who want to relive the golden days of GoldenEye then you know ... it's very flattering that people still think there is so much value in it."

He admitted that the original game hadn't aged very well, saying that it was "an old game and looks it," and that peoples' view of the title was probably tinted by nostalgia. But that's no reason to assume that a game that modernizes the aged original can't be good, right?

(CVG [http://timempey.blogspot.com/2010/06/old-goldeneye-dev-quite-likes-new.html])

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I really cannot wait to get my hands on the new one. GoldenEye 64 still ranks in my top 20 of all time. I just hope the new one doesn't screw it all up!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would be flattered too, one of the best FPS games ever made, and, its been remade for the future, and past generations!

Love it

wolfister

Oct 20, 2008
I have mixed feelings I mean I loved GoldenEye but I hate with every fiber of my body Daniel Craig.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
"And if there's a market out there for people who want to relive the golden days of GoldenEye..."

I see what you did there har har har.

Foxtrotk72

Feb 27, 2010
AvsJoe said:
I really cannot wait to get my hands on the new one. GoldenEye 64 still ranks in my top 20 of all time. I just hope the new one doesn't screw it all up!
I here ya would be a shame if they did but it looks good for a wii game

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Those graphics look awful.... Like, seriously bad.

Still looks like fun though; ill probably pick it up once the price drops a bit.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I can't wait for it and have been excited ever since the teaser came out, it's piqued my interest in the wii too. Goldeneye would be my favourite console game of all time and I have very fond memories like so many other people growing up.

I'm glad it's not a straight up carbon copy of the original with shinier graphics, good on them for developing a "new" game. I think it's the best thing to do and I think the original and remake will stand on their own selves as seperate titles. I can't wait to see all the little nods to the original :3

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I don't know why, but whenever I hear that guy going "Oh my god!" at the start of the trailer I can't help but imagine the interviewer running the focus group has just ripped off his mask to reveal the face of Freddy Krueger...

OT: Ever since this was announced I've been wondering what the guys still working at Rare must feel about this. It's nice to see at least somebody involved in the original game has given it his blessing.

One thing that I've been mulling over, though; I would have thought there'd be some legal problems in remaking the game. Did Rare lose any right to ownership on the original game design when they walked from the Bond license? Or have there just been years of negotiations that we're just not aware of?

MrPokeylope

Apr 16, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Anyone notice OddJob throw his hat?

If that's a weapon I will go insane with joy.
It is, I think I read that everyone can throw grenades except oddjob who throws his hat :D

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
God damn this is the first game to make me really consider buying a wii..... screw you nintendo, toying with my nostalgia

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
It quite saddens me that it's only for the Wii, which I do not own.
But what saddens me more is that the Bond sking in this game is that of Daniel Craig.
Still, a GoldenEye remake - pretty awesome.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Too bad it's coming out for the Wii only. I still hope they won't mess it up and will do the original justice.

00LinK17

May 24, 2010
Personally, I say: "if you're going to remake something not even 15 years old, DON't COMPLETELY REMAKE IT!" Update graphics and guns and such: Good idea! Use modern Bond, even tho Pierce Brosnan isn't dead yet, NOT COOL! Stick to the original story and characters! The new 006 looks and sounds like a buffed-up retard, no comparison to good ol' Sean Bean! come on folx, this WAS a good idea until they made the mistake of saying, "Oh, no one will recognize or relate to Pierce, lets toss in this Craig fellow, he'll get the job done." #### YOU ActiVision!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Anyone notice OddJob throw his hat?

If that's a weapon I will go insane with joy.
Great... lets make Odd Job even more OP.

OT: If they say so, that is a good sign, but did they only get to see the trailer or have they actually played it.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
John Funk said:

It might help to know that people who worked on the original game - the game that showed that real FPS titles could work on consoles before Halo solidified it

I'm sorry, what? I guess if Goldeneye didn't solidify it then there weren't any other FPSs that did BETWEEN 1997 AND 2005

Seriously, Halo is just another space shooter