David Jaffe Wants to Bring Sweet Tooth to the Movies

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
David Jaffe Wants to Bring Sweet Tooth to the Movies

Aside from admitting that he's working on a new Twisted Metal game, David Jaffe has announced he wants to make a horror movie based on the series' best-known character.

One has to wonder if PR reps just hold their heads in their hands every time Jaffe makes a Twitter post about projects he's possibly involved with. Every time the Twisted Metal and God of War director tweets about what he's working on, the rumors spring up across the Web and Sony seems to lock itself down and respond to all inquiries with deafening silence. The latest project Jaffe's possibly involved with? A Twisted Metal-themed horror movie.

Jaffe recently expressed a desire to make a low-budget horror flick starring Sweet Tooth, the evil clown mascot of the Twisted Metal franchise. "I want us to make an honest to goodness, low-budget slasher movie and sell it on PSN exclusive. Peeps saying we are making a PSN Sweet Tooth GAME got it wrong."

Jaffe later explained his thoughts a little further: "By the way, the Sweet Tooth PSN thing I want us to do is a MOVIE on PSN, like THE TESTER in terms of exclusive PSN programming...not a game." It should be noted that Jaffe appeared on the second episode of The Tester.

At the moment, Jaffe has yet to confirm if this movie idea is being seriously considered by the Powers That Be over at Sony. So, for the moment, this is just a pet project that the man has expressed an interest in. Seeing as how he <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100889-David-Jaffe-Not-Working-on-PS3-Twisted-Metal>flat-out denied the existence of a new Twisted Metal that he was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101387-E3-2010-Brutal-Looking-New-Twisted-Metal-for-PS3-Real-After-All>already working on, I'm taking bets that the movie will be available for download on the PSN by the end of next week.

Source: Joystiq

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
That would a be a pretty cool thing to watch actually. It would be cool if they decide to make little short movies for all of the popular characters that appeared in every game too.

*cough*Mr. Grimm*cough*

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
I like the sound of that.
DividedUnity said:
I'd say they wait for the new game to come out before even considering this.
And it could be a promotional thing like what they did with Assassin's Creed 2.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I have been dreaming of a Twisted Metal movie since I first played TM2 on my step-brother's PS1. This series would be perfect for B-movie, campy fun! Why haven't they (oh, the infamous they) made one yet?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That would be great... I don't know how scary it would be, but it would certainly be interesting. Maybe come packaged with Twisted Metal? Please say yes.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would be an awesome moie! I would definetly be seeing that...be totally insane!

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
While I can barely contain my excitement for such a movie(no sarcasm, I love the idea), I'm a little wary of this. There have been slasher movies that have been successes, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th come to mind, but even among their VERY deticated fanbase, these movies are B movies at heart, which is both a blessing and a curse.

B movies are traditionally low budget, low special effect, which is what makes them so good for horror since you give someone a knife and let them cut up people, and just throw a bucket of blood across the set after they're done, but these aren't really story movies. Likewise with Texas and Friday, they're not real heavy on the story, just the shock and awe, and while that worked for them, it also didn't work for a lot of others.

There is SOME story behind the Twisted Metal characters, but not a lot. Most of it was fleshed out in TM: Black, but even in that game the stories were icing on the cake that was demolition derby with actual demolitions mounted on the cars. I think that making a movie around Sweet Tooth, while it could be awesome, has just as good a chance of being a flop.

I'm excited, but I'm tempering my excitement so I'm not that disappointed if it doesn't work out.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Torque669 said:
I like the sound of that.
DividedUnity said:
I'd say they wait for the new game to come out before even considering this.
And it could be a promotional thing like what they did with Assassin's Creed 2.
Really? Not going for a big production that would be doomed to fail, but rather a low budget slasher flick?

That man is a genius.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
While I can barely contain my excitement for such a movie(no sarcasm, I love the idea), I'm a little wary of this. There have been slasher movies that have been successes, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th come to mind, but even among their VERY deticated fanbase, these movies are B movies at heart, which is both a blessing and a curse.

B movies are traditionally low budget, low special effect, which is what makes them so good for horror since you give someone a knife and let them cut up people, and just throw a bucket of blood across the set after they're done, but these aren't really story movies. Likewise with Texas and Friday, they're not real heavy on the story, just the shock and awe, and while that worked for them, it also didn't work for a lot of others.

There is SOME story behind the Twisted Metal characters, but not a lot. Most of it was fleshed out in TM: Black, but even in that game the stories were icing on the cake that was demolition derby with actual demolitions mounted on the cars. I think that making a movie around Sweet Tooth, while it could be awesome, has just as good a chance of being a flop.

I'm excited, but I'm tempering my excitement so I'm not that disappointed if it doesn't work out.
I'm confused, B-movies, slasher ones even, are awesome. Do you not want to see a live action sweet tooth cut bitches up? I do.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
ShadowKatt said:

I'm confused, B-movies, slasher ones even, are awesome. Do you not want to see a live action sweet tooth cut bitches up? I do.
I'm confused too, because didn't I say that I was excited about this movie? I believe I did. Twice even.

And if you love good ol' fashioned B-movie slashers, more power to you. B movies are often the seeds of cult classics. They draw a loyal but normally relatively small fanbase that will love them til the end of time, but they don't normally appeal to the masses, just like this one won't. We're all excited about it because we know who and what he is. The rest of the world will just see a serial killer with a flaming hairdo painted up like ICP, and who wants to go see that?

Answer: Not the point. The point here is that I BELIEVE(In case you didn't get that my whole post was pretty much 100% opinion, except for the stuff about B movies, you can look that up yourself) is that this could be good, but it could also be equally, horribly bad, and I would hate to get excited about it and then be massively disappointed.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
I'm confused too, because didn't I say that I was excited about this movie? I believe I did. Twice even.

And if you love good ol' fashioned B-movie slashers, more power to you. B movies are often the seeds of cult classics. They draw a loyal but normally relatively small fanbase that will love them til the end of time, but they don't normally appeal to the masses, just like this one won't. We're all excited about it because we know who and what he is. The rest of the world will just see a serial killer with a flaming hairdo painted up like ICP, and who wants to go see that?

Answer: Not the point. The point here is that I BELIEVE(In case you didn't get that my whole post was pretty much 100% opinion, except for the stuff about B movies, you can look that up yourself) is that this could be good, but it could also be equally, horribly bad, and I would hate to get excited about it and then be massively disappointed.
Perhaps anything other than mindless excitement about slasher flicks confuses me.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
I'd watch it ^_^ If it does get released, I hope it's at least decent. As someone else has said, it could be a disappointment. I certainly hope that's not the case if it sees the light of day.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, Sweet Tooth is a clown. And just by being a clown he's scarier than 99% of all other horror movie villains.

Except asian children that are painted grey and can meow, those still top my list of insanely scary shit.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Why just Sweet Tooth though? I mean, in Twisted Metal, there were an assload of odd characters, like the kid who's dad died, and he rigged him up as a puppet. Or maybe the war veteran who survived, only by eating his battle buddy, and was driven insane?