Microsoft Offers "Nationwide" Kinect Demo In Only Four Locations

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft Offers "Nationwide" Kinect Demo In Only Four Locations

Microsoft seems to think that the U.S. nation consists solely of the areas where there are Microsoft Stores.

Microsoft's attempt to mimic the Apple store resulted in the Microsoft Store, where it's a sure bet you'll be able to find a copy of Windows, some Xbox 360s, and maybe a Zune or two. Microsoft recently announced through Twitter that Kinect is playable nationwide in these storefronts, though the use of the term "nationwide" is a stretch. A really big stretch.

The Microsoft Store Twitter account [http://twitter.com/MicrosoftStore] recently tweeted: "Can't wait to play #Kinect? Try it at #MicrosoftStores nationwide! No store in your area? You can pre-order online!" The issue is that there are only four Microsoft Stores in existence, and they're not quite big enough to span the nation.

Microsoft got a little overzealous with its tweet, but if you live in Scottsdale, AZ; Mission Viejo, CA; San Diego, CA; or Lone Tree, CO; you can get your hands, feet, and face into some Kinect action at a Microsoft Store today. Later tweets make it appear that Kinect will only be on demo for the weekend and will feature games such as Kinectimals, where you raise five exotic animal cubs.

I always thought I was a member of the nation, but my car is out of gas and Google Maps says it's going to take me 7 days of constant biking or 23 days of walking to get to the closest Microsoft Store, so I won't make it in time. However, other members of the nation that might live closer should get out there to try Kinect and see what they think. They'll be able to determine if Kinect is worth the not really confirmed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100957-Natal-Expected-to-Stab-Gamers-in-the-Wallet-at-149] $150 price tag.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Well, if they can't even make a tiger put it's arms up like that little girl... maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be...

And are us Brit's not worthy of a Microsoft store or two? Second thoughts, maybe not, we'd probably get one.. about the size of a terraced house bathroom, right in the middle of nowhere, convenient for absolutely nobody... Going by the Size of country vs number of stores scale that is.

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
I see what you did there microsoft.

Only 4 locations in the United states, and if there isn't a store by you, they say buy it.

Crafty move.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I didn't even need to read the article to know that MS needs to think more carefully about stuff. NOW.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
You did something there, and I saw it...

Seriously, Kinect is a massive thing - Many of us are going to question it's role in modern gaming! (Total elimination of a controller is damn brave) MS would have been so much better taking it out onto the streets, getting everyday people up and down not just America but the entire world to give it a go.

For a bold new concept, you'd think they'd be a bit bolder with the marketing...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I hope they have fun. I wish I could have a go but I doubt it would change my opinion

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Microsoft seems to think that the U.S. nation consists solely of the areas where there are Microsoft Stores.
Well, there's one in my general neighborhood, so that's good enough for me. :D

OT: Anyone else find it odd that Microsoft's own home town isn't on that list? Or is Redmond, WA not listed because it's just "assumed" that Microsoft's home store counts, too?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
You can have 10 stores nation wide. Nationwide doesn't actually mean that there's a location in every damn part of the nation. It means you can try the thing wherever there is a store. My local grocery shop has 6 stores nationwide.

There's only 4 stores nation wide. You can try them at those stores. I don't see what the big deal is. maybe they plan on opening more stores, or maybe you're just being nit picky and unprofessional.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like how ms is even starting to mess up the launch of the kinect, it amuses me

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
HAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Seriously??? First, you break the patience stick on everybody's ass at E3, then refuse to deal with the RROD, bribe the whole audience (oh sorry, journalists only) with slims and then, to play something that the majority of the public won't be even remotely interested at, you have only 4 stores in your country of origin which just so happens to have 50 STATES?

Where is my comedy material notebook?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
So the new XBox 360 will never get a RROD because there is no red ring indicator AND you can try Kinect nationwide this weekend as long as you live west of the Rockies?

Their marketing team seems to be missing the point pretty regularly.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
the demographic i see for games like kinectimals are 5-7 year old girls, people who wouldn't want a long car journy to see this thing OR would be that good at convincing their parents to buy them $150 hardware + a $300 console they haven't gotten a chance to try, ot when there's wiis around for less.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
CyberKnight said:
Tom Goldman said:
Well, there's one in my general neighborhood, so that's good enough for me. :D

OT: Anyone else find it odd that Microsoft's own home town isn't on that list? Or is Redmond, WA not listed because it's just "assumed" that Microsoft's home store counts, too?
I want to go to Microsoft HQ and ask to play Kinect.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
katsabas said:
HAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Seriously??? First, you break the patience stick on everybody's ass at E3, then refuse to deal with the RROD, bribe the whole audience (oh sorry, journalists only) with slims and then, to play something that the majority of the public won't be even remotely interested at, you have only 4 stores in your country of origin which just so happens to have 50 STATES?

They did deal with it, not much, but it doesn't happen as often as it used to.

and what do you mean "bribe" most consoles get a slimmer version, and i think it's reasonable releasing a new console with a new piece of technology =S

why people hate Microsoft is beyond me, sure they do everything money...but every big Company does...Sony, Nintendo, Activision etc

although why only release it in 4 different places in your own country, that's a bit weird...

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
arc1991 said:
katsabas said:

They did deal with it, not much, but it doesn't happen as often as it used to.

and what do you mean "bribe" most consoles get a slimmer version, and i think it's reasonable releasing a new console with a new piece of technology =S

why people hate Microsoft is beyond me, sure they do everything money...but every big Company does...Sony, Nintendo, Activision etc

although why only release it in 4 different places in your own country, that's a bit weird...
Well, you think that about 4 years of complaints about the RROD would suffice for them to get rid of it completely but I am not so much into the techie stuff.

About the bribe thing, after sitting about an hour and a half, talking about kinect and not getting focused on the gaming aspect that MS is so proud (and with good reason, ME2 was awesome), I do not understand why they cannot seem to realize that most people do not chill out by waving their hands and legs like they are being blown away by an F5. I was not pissed about the announcing of the new 360 (cause hell, it DOES look good) , I was pissed cause every other XBOX owner, besides the ones in the conference room got stuffed big time. And if only the journalists got a free 360, imagine how the guys simply attending must have felt.

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
I personally like Kinect, it lets me know straight away if I'll like someone or not, anyone willing to humiliate themselves for £100-£150 is not ok in my books.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I didn't even know there were microsoft stores. Too bad, I wish I could try the Kinect so I could form an opinion on it. Bah

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I happened to be at the San Diego mall on the opening day of the ms store and saw the opening ceremony. It was fine nothing big though. The kinect demo was a little tent that you walk into and get to try it. Kinect itself seemed kind of lame too me though, especially considering the price tag on it.