Nintendo Ranks High On "Most Reputable" List

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Nintendo Ranks High On "Most Reputable" List

The Global Reputation Pulse 2009, an annual survey of the reputations of companies, has ranked Nintendo sixth, which puts it ahead of any of its game industry competitors but behind the the company that makes Nutella.

Though Nintendo wins no brownie points with Greenpeace [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90628-Nintendo-Fails-The-Green-Test-Again] for being environmentally friendly, its reputation as a top-notch business is still apparently unshakable. The Global Reputation Pulse 2009 has ranked in sixth in its survey of reputations among businesses. That puts it ahead of its console competitors in Sony, which came in 127th, and Microsoft, which did a bit better by ranking 30th.

It also means it came out ahead of its newest rival, Apple, which placed 52nd despite having the goodwill of a loyal consumer base (guess I'm not the only one who finds those "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac" ads kinda arrogant).

The top five on the list were (ranking from top to bottom) Ferrero of Italy (they make Nutella), Ikea, Jonhson & Johnson, Petrobras (Brazilian oil company) and Sadia (frozen foods). Nintendo also scored high in specific categories, placing in the top five for products/services, innovation, workplace, leadership and performance.

The rankings were compiled based on "admiration, trust, good feelings and overall esteem" and companies are rated by consumers in their native countries. Nintendo scored a 81.63 rating, Microsoft a 78.05 and Sony a 72.21. So you can see the actual numbers aren't too far apart, and the rankings must've been decided by pretty small margins.

Not hard to see why the Nutella company won, though. That stuff is delicious.

(Gamasutra [http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23522])

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Not like we were just discussing how awesome Nutella is on irc or anything...

But yeah, ferrero make yummy yummy things, so not hard to see why they came out on top.

Interesting to see where the big tech companies place though.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Now I'm curious... how well did Branston pickle rank on that list?

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
Ferrero very deserving of its place.
But I've never bought from Johnson & Johnson, Petrobas or Sadia...

Slightly surprised that Microsoft ranked so highly after so many complaints, especially about Vista, and glad that Apple was kept in its place.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Ikea can go to hell. I have yet to meet a person who enjoyed shopping there.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
There are very few companies I actually like, so if they'd asked me, it would have been more a case of "which one of these companies is the least bad?"

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Keane Ng said:
(guess I'm not the only one who finds those "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac" ads kinda arrogant).
Indeed!

PC: "I'm a PC"
MAC: "And I'm a Mac"
PC: "Say Mac, fancy playing a game?"
MAC: "Sure PC, which one?"
PC: "CoD 4?"
MAC: "Erm...can't run that"
PC: "Oh..ok, how about Team Fortress 2?"
MAC: "Erm...nor that"
PC: "I think I see a pattern..."

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
johnman said:
I love going to Ikea, you can get a table and then get swedish meatballs. Who could want more?

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Skizle said:
They do not sell Nutella were I live. Someone care to explain?
You are not looking hard enough. Unless, of course, you live out in farm lands. I believe large chain American stores (You stated you lived in Michigan in your profile) sell it. I have friends who say they get it from Meijers.

Here, I looked on the internet for you. You can buy a life-time supply: http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=126418&N=0&navparm=0&keyword=Nutella

CosmicGrenade

Feb 11, 2008
well Nintendo has reports record profits from last year. A 8.5% rise in its net annual profits. Taking them to £1.85bn and last year they sold Last year, the firm sold 25,950,000 Wii consoles and 31,180,000 DS machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Doug said:
Keane Ng said:
(guess I'm not the only one who finds those "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac" ads kinda arrogant).
Indeed!

PC: "I'm a PC"
MAC: "And I'm a Mac"
PC: "Say Mac, fancy playing a game?"
MAC: "Sure PC, which one?"
PC: "CoD 4?"
MAC: "Erm...can't run that"
PC: "Oh..ok, how about Team Fortress 2?"
MAC: "Erm...nor that"
PC: "I think I see a pattern..."
Thats what annoys me the most. The people should be switched, since the Mac guy has more a gamer look but PC is way better for gaming.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Keane Ng said:
johnman said:
I love going to Ikea, you can get a table and then get swedish meatballs. Who could want more?
A take home spork!

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Quaidis said:
Skizle said:
You are not looking hard enough. Unless, of course, you live out in farm lands. I believe large chain American stores (You stated you lived in Michigan in your profile) sell it. I have friends who say they get it from Meijers.

Here, I looked on the internet for you. You can buy a life-time supply: http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=126418&N=0&navparm=0&keyword=Nutella
the strange this is is that i unload the grocery trucks at meijer and i have never seen it
wierd

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Skizle said:
Quaidis said:
Skizle said:

The strange thing is that I unload the grocery trucks at Meijer and I have never seen it;
weird.

This would be a prime time to ask your fellow employees about it. This is a matter of importance! You must solve this mystery once and for all!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Ack, I hate Nutella.
Skizle said:
they do not sell Nutella were i live...someone care to explain?
Really? I have never been in a store that doesn't have Nutella in it.