New Pokemon Black & White Trailer Reveals Triple Battles, Release Date

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Pokemon Black & White Trailer Reveals Triple Battles, Release Date

A new trailer for Pokémon White [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78063] has unveiled eight new Pokémon and the addition of triple battles to the franchise - and the game now has a release date, too.

Information about the upcoming fifth generation in the incredibly popular Pokémon games has been first announced in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/pokemon+black+and+white].

This latest trailer revealed yesterday on Pokémon Sunday shows off a heap of new Pokémon B&W goodies: namely, eight new Pokémon, three-on-three battles, and a Japanese release date of September 18th.

Triple battles are a first for the series, with two-on-two double battles having previously been introduced in the third generation with Pokémon Sapphire [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Ruby-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B000084313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278434519&sr=1-1]. Judging by the video, moves like Surf will still hit the entire field, so this just means you'll have to be extra careful in these fights - and double battles are tricky enough already!

We also see a character who may well be the new rival (the green-haired trainer with the baseball cap), and get a look at the new battle presentation. From the admittedly little bit we get to see of the battles, they look a lot more dynamic than in previous versions - the Pokémon themselves have idle animations, and the camera zooms out and in alongside attacks.

It's still the same strategic turn-based combat we know and love, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but at least now it looks much more exciting.

(VG Tribune [http://vgtribune.com/oha-suta-bw-reveal/])

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
While I think the Pokemon themselves look increasingly stupid, I think the addition of 3v3 battles and decent graphics might make it a worthwhile purchase.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tellmeimaninja said:
Will this version allow you to use pokemon from older, less stupid-looking generations? If not, I'll wait to buy the inevitable remake of this version that allows you to.
It's for the DS, so I can only imagine it'll be fully compatible with D/P and HG/SS.

And please, they'll grow on you. They always do :p Also, counterpoint [http://nerfnow.com/comic/302].

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
3v3?
Nice.
I know I'll start every battle with Deadpool, Capn America, and Ryu Hayabusa.
No one will survive.

(Yes, they're my Pokemon. I just named them that way)

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
So, by projecting the timeline forward, that makes it generation 11 when we get 6 on 6 clusterfuck.

OT, 3 vs 3 looks like an interesting addition, considering the changes that occur when you add friendly fire.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
This just looks ridiculous. How could they make the new generation look even WORSE than the last?

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Right, I'm calling it. First two pokemon, now three. We'll be seeing full pokemon armies in a turned based (or possibly even real time) strategy game before long.

Catch them, Train them, Battle them, Rule them.

For the first time ever, you will be able to catch and deploy over one thousand on-screen pokemon as, starting with only a single pokemon you build a squad, and then an army capable of defeating the corrupt, tyrannical cabal that is the elite four. As you progress you shall defeat, one by one, the 'gyms' and their lackeys that keep the lands of Johto in check. Will you free the people and their pokemon from the yoke of oppression, or use the gyms to supply you with a stream of new, fanatical recruits?

The fate of the world is in your hands.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
tellmeimaninja said:
Will this version allow you to use pokemon from older, less stupid-looking generations? If not, I'll wait to buy the inevitable remake of this version that allows you to.
You will be able to either trade or upload (don't know which) pokemon from previous gens, but possibly only after you defeat the Elite 4... hope this helps...

OT: Despite the fact that I'm already feeling confused about what will happen during triplet battles, as a pokefan I can say to this...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
3v3!?
This is gonna be so cool.

And im gonna say it, i LIKE the look of new Generation.
Its different, very Stylish, and has a kind of "Storybook" feel to it.

I especially like some of the other Pokemon that were shown a while back, and i think im gonna go with the Grass Starter once i get the game.

I personally think that a few of the older generations were worse looking than this one.

I mean, Slowpoke and Exeggutor?
WTF?

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Okay. Now I'm impressed. And look. The in battle cutscene is animated. Hopefully the actual attacks will actually involve them doing attacking animations. And triple battle. Okay. I mean we barely use double battle as it is. The field animation is very. Large. I bet this game is going to be in 3Ds.

3v3 reminds me of dragonquest monsters which has 3v3. Only problem you can't really use group strageties like in monsters or even digimon. Unless they change the moves to where you can use support it on someone besides yourself. And have them work. I can see myself using a healing attack and then the enemy conveiently piles on the healer.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Singing Gremlin said:
Right, I'm calling it. First two pokemon, now three. We'll be seeing full pokemon armies in a turned based (or possibly even real time) strategy game before long.

Catch them, Train them, Battle them, Rule them.

For the first time ever, you will be able to catch and deploy over one thousand on-screen pokemon as, starting with only a single pokemon you build a squad, and then an army capable of defeating the corrupt, tyrannical cabal that is the elite four. As you progress you shall defeat, one by one, the 'gyms' and their lackeys that keep the lands of Johto in check. Will you free the people and their pokemon from the yoke of oppression, or use the gyms to supply you with a stream of new, fanatical recruits?

The fate of the world is in your hands.
........I actually want that.

Make it in the same style as Fire Emblem...and you have another Gold Mine to add to an existing Gold Mine.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
I didn't like it when the double battles were in the third gen and I have a feeling I won't like the triples in this one.

Good to know I don't need to do anything but just wait till people are done with it and borrow it.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:

Let's face that facts people; there have always been stupid looking Pokemon. It's just that the blind nostalgia of our childhood wants us to believe otherwise.

On-topic: I dunno about 3 vs 3. Seems like it would just be one big cluterfuck. You could have many different Pokemon of many different types in the same battle. That sounds cool, but I have to think that being able to do so will severely limit the utility of certain Pokemon that are much easier to counter because of this. But I can just ignore the 3 vs 3 so it doesn't really matter anyways.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
3 team battle.....two generations later 4 team battle. It is nintendos weak attempt to make the game interesting.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I am still waiting for a free for all system or something along those lines. I can't think of a scenario where it would be appropriate but I am not the writers.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
tomtom94 said:
While I think the Pokemon themselves look increasingly stupid, I think the addition of 3v3 battles and decent graphics might make it a worthwhile purchase.
Asturiel said:
I didn't like it when the double battles were in the third gen and I have a feeling I won't like the triples in this one.

Good to know I don't need to do anything but just wait till people are done with it and borrow it.
The Pokemon aren't looking worse, you are just holding on nostalgia glasses. They've looked just as stupid and juvenile as before.

OT: I can't wait for this game. The battles, graphics, characters, new pokemon, and cities all look awesome.