260: Reviewing Blood, Sex and Magic

Fintan Monaghan

May 7, 2010
Reviewing Blood, Sex and Magic

Many sources review games based purely on how "bad" they are and don't care whether they are any fun. Fintan Monaghan examines a few of the websites and censor boards that describe the level of sex, violence and magic in games.

Read Full Article

Rick1940

Jan 11, 2010
Whenever I find myself "Reviewing Blood, Sex and Magic" I find it necessary to listen to "Blood Sugar Sex Magic."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2i93xgCsSQ

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
I believe the CCGR panel would have felt thoroughly dirty after analysing Diablo 2's Necromancer.

In fact, I think I'll go look if they analysed Diablo 2 at all. I bet it'll be hilarious.

Reporting back: They havent! >=(

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I hate all censorship (please read Milton's Aereopagitica for the many reasons why), but this article amused me quite a bit. Living next door to anti-magic Fundies, it never occurred to me that their fixations could be used for good. Perverting the reports of government censors also makes me smile. All knowledge is worth having.

Simmemann

Nov 30, 2009
Fintan Monaghan said:
or the biotic powers of Mass Effect.
Isn't the biotic powers explained "scientifically" in the game? Also, there's no worshipping to any higher power involved.

The most religiosly objective in ME I can think of, is wether to help the hanar get a permit to spread the word of...of... whoever it was again. The Enkindler, was it?

laryri

May 19, 2008
Did anyone else get a chuckle when they read "space furniture" in the Mass Effect 2 description?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
It always amuses me that the fringe Christan groups that are so anti magic, always forget that the Bible has a description of necromancy in it. So if they get there way they will have to ban the Bible. However the anti censorship mob are just blind and full of unreasoned prejudice.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Rick1940 said:
Whenever I find myself "Reviewing Blood, Sex and Magic" I find it necessary to listen to "Blood Sugar Sex Magic."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2i93xgCsSQ
You know, when I saw the title, I instantly thought about that too XD
Too bad no one has any reviews about the "sugar" content of games... ;)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
albino boo said:
It always amuses me that the fringe Christan groups that are so anti magic, always forget that the Bible has a description of necromancy in it. So if they get there way they will have to ban the Bible. However the anti censorship mob are just blind and full of unreasoned prejudice.
Lest we forget Exorcisms and the very famous Hermetic "Magic" of the Renaissance. Christianity actually has quite the history with magic, I suppose it just depends on what you consider "magic" and what you don't. Personally I would consider a great deal of religious ritual and practice quite "magical" in nature... full of incantations and ingredients chanted and invoked to produce the desired effect.

Though if one also considers that most of these groups are probably American (no insult intended there, this is just history) and probably Protestant (Calvinist specifically) drawing on The American Puritan Tradition, it's not surprising that they have such a negative view of magic, Puritanism eschewing the intensely ritual (and arguably magical) nature of Period Catholicism and Ancient Christianity as being Pagan Hold Overs and not representative of "the true church" as they wish to see it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
laryri said:
Did anyone else get a chuckle when they read "space furniture" in the Mass Effect 2 description?
Yeah, though not quite as much of a chuckle as "future-blouse". It's like the writer of the quoted document needed to remind everyone "This is sci-fi!" every few seconds. Spaceman removes alien girlfriend's antigravity shirt on orbital couch!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
Lest we forget Exorcisms and the very famous Hermetic "Magic" of the Renaissance. Christianity actually has quite the history with magic, I suppose it just depends on what you consider "magic" and what you don't. Personally I would consider a great deal of religious ritual and practice quite "magical" in nature... full of incantations and ingredients chanted and invoked to produce the desired effect.

Though if one also considers that most of these groups are probably American (no insult intended there, this is just history) and probably Protestant (Calvinist specifically) drawing on The American Puritan Tradition, it's not surprising that they have such a negative view of magic, Puritanism eschewing the intensely ritual (and arguably magical) nature of Period Catholicism and Ancient Christianity as being Pagan Hold Overs and not representative of "the true church" as they wish to see it.
I Agree in principal but differ in detail. Yes it is a results of the Puritan tradition but the anti Catholic position didn't always lead to the rejection of pagan hold overs. Take the Free Church of Scotland perhaps the most hardcore Calvinist denomination left in Europe, they believe that the Pope is the actual Antichrist and about 20 years they chucked out the most senior legal official in the UK for attending a Catholic freinds funeral. Yet recorded in the same areas, until very recently, offerings were left to appease the local sea spirits (Selkies) and wide spread belief that some poeple had second sight

Vorocano

Jan 8, 2009
albino boo said:
The difference is in the way that magic is treated. In the Bible it is universally condemned. None of the positive role models in Scripture use what I'll call "real" magic, or if they do it is made clear that God does not approve of their use of witchcraft or magic.

I personally have no problem with fictional depictions of magic. I'm a pretty conservative Christian, but I love to read fantasy novels. For me the biggest thing is that fiction is fiction. My love of fantasy literature has never once led me to being interested in pursuing "real" magic.

And for those of you who think that sites like ccgr.org are "censoring" video games, maybe you should actually read some of the reviews. The reviewer isn't saying that "These games should be banned," or even "Christians shouldn't play this game," but rather sets out the various potential appropriateness or morality issues in a game. It's a review for the sake of information from a specifically Christian perspective. But that would be too nuanced for those people who simply think, "Christians don't like magic so any review criticizing its use must be an attempt at moral censorship."

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
albino boo said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

I Agree in principal but differ in detail. Yes it is a results of the Puritan tradition but the anti Catholic position didn't always lead to the rejection of pagan hold overs. Take the Free Church of Scotland perhaps the most hardcore Calvinist denomination left in Europe, they believe that the Pope is the actual Antichrist
Whilst being true the term 'Antichrist' has had extra connatations added that aren't fully in keeping with it's implied biblical meaning. Technically speaking an antichrist is merely someone who speaks the opposite of Christ and there can be more than one.

"Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son."
1 John 2 v 22

Anti-smoking is someone against smoking. Anti christ is someone against Christ. As Catholism adds to the Bible and is based more on images, idols and works than Jesus' message of salvation through grace alone then the Pope is an antichrist. He is not the antichrist.

EDIT: And in a wonderfully irony I post here as a Christian with a badge symbolising my perfect knowledge of the Harry Potter universe!

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Vorocano said:
albino boo said:
The difference is in the way that magic is treated. In the Bible it is universally condemned. None of the positive role models in Scripture use what I'll call "real" magic, or if they do it is made clear that God does not approve of their use of witchcraft or magic.

I personally have no problem with fictional depictions of magic. I'm a pretty conservative Christian, but I love to read fantasy novels. For me the biggest thing is that fiction is fiction. My love of fantasy literature has never once led me to being interested in pursuing "real" magic.

And for those of you who think that sites like ccgr.org are "censoring" video games, maybe you should actually read some of the reviews. The reviewer isn't saying that "These games should be banned," or even "Christians shouldn't play this game," but rather sets out the various potential appropriateness or morality issues in a game. It's a review for the sake of information from a specifically Christian perspective. But that would be too nuanced for those people who simply think, "Christians don't like magic so any review criticizing its use must be an attempt at moral censorship."
Totally agree with what you say. You might want to join this group here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/members/Christian-Escapist-s-unite

It's a quiet group that goes through periods of activity. A little haven in the big bad internet world.

sigma83

Oct 26, 2009
Vorocano said:
My issue is that there are people who seriously believe real magic exists at all.

Vorocano said:
See my above statement.

Do you seriously not realize how stupid the site sounds? 'The game depicts magic. Magic is harmful. Therefore the game can potentially be harmful.'

IT. IS. NOT. REAL.

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
laryri said:
That and future blouse. It's as if they were trying to sound as stilted and old as possible.

The CCGR site is odd. Some of the reviews are quite well done until you get to the crazy bits that think magic is real. It is surprisingly tame though, even GTA isn't lambasted since that reviewer at least sees the satire inherent in the series.

sigma83

Oct 26, 2009
I have only seen one of the romance options in ME2 (2, if you count Liara's) so the future blousery makes me curious. (There's only really one possibility tho)

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
It's an old cliché that American censors are more hung up on sex, while the Brits are more bothered about violence
And yet us Brits have Bottom.

Edit: Though a point I don't understand about Christians. This is a group whose regognisable icon is a man who used terrain hacks, inventory cloning and possibly a Soulstone. Or, magic.