Final Fantasy Versus XIII Story Complete After Four Years

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Fantasy Versus XIII Story Complete After Four Years

Good news, everyone: Four years after Final Fantasy Versus XIII was first announced at E3 2006, the game's story is now officially complete.

Speaking with Japanese gaming mag Dengeki PlayStation, Square-Enix chieftain and FF Versus XIII director Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that the scenario to the long-dormant game was now officially complete.

Furthermore, his team had completed more than just the story - the characters and their respective wardrobes had also been finalized, said Nomura, indicating that he was finally happy with the number of extraneous belts and zippers on the characters' outfits.

This is probably good news for fans of the series, who have been questioning FFv13's mysterious absence ever since the release of its counterpart Final Fantasy XIII earlier this year. While Versus XIII was a no-show at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98385-Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Might-Be-an-E3-No-Show], it is expected to be on display at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

On the other hand, we have to remember that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was first unveiled alongside FF13 at E3 2006 - four years ago! Does it really take four years to finalize a story and character designs, Nomura-san? What, are you trying to write your own À la recherche du temps perdu?

I just wonder what exactly the Versus XIII team has spent the last four years working on.

(CVG [http://www.novacrystallis.com/?p=377])

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
John Funk said:
I just wonder what exactly the Versus XIII team has spent the last four years working on.
After David Jaffe, I think we know what they've been doing. Think, what game have they been saying the can't do right like a million times, just before the big Convention season? I think we're in for quite a suprise come TGS. Kojima and Square dishing out awesomeness.

Calumon: Dream on! They've been having hugs!

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I saw a Versus trailer once at Otakon. The guy in it pretty much entailed any superpower I cold ever want- the ability to teleport up stairs, summoning an invisible circle of magic swords, all that fun stuff.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Maybe they were saving the content for the Tokyo game show, which I've heard is much better than E3. An announcement on home soil sounds the best way to unveil the next in the series.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
For four years, Calumon? That's a lot of hugging. A very creepily large number.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
AvsJoe said:
Jack and Calumon said:
For four years, Calumon? That's a lot of hugging. A very creepily large number.
Calumon: Hey, they made something that mixed Final Fantasy and Disney together and made it good. It's really not hard to imagine for them. :3

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Fbuh said:
I saw a Versus trailer once at Otakon. The guy in it pretty much entailed any superpower I cold ever want- the ability to teleport up stairs, summoning an invisible circle of magic swords, all that fun stuff.
Could he become invisible and sneak into the girls changing room? Thats the most fun power ;3

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
you just finished the story......so how far have you come on the actual game? like the the monster design, gameplay mechanics, maps and environments, motion capture, the supposed rebirth of the old free flying airship? Have you guys even gotten all your bloody voice actors on this o_O?
And how about the promised dlc for ff13 you mentioned. You said you had enough data cut to make another game so how about some dlc for that? What are they doing!?!?!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
4 years? Thats alot of slacking! ;o Ive seen best selling novels written in less time...and then another one released after!!!

No excuse with a writing staff that large though!

Its done now, so, lets hope its worth it...im expecting the greates Tour de Force since Tolkien!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Okay guys! Let's get to developing this spin-off RPG! Yeah!

*4 Years later*

Let's go throught the checklist, guys!

1. Story? Check! We spent 4 years with 10 different writers on this, won't be confusing at all!

2. Charaters? Check! Finally after 4 years we got them down...altough that belt...it's not hip enough. Times have changed. They look too normal. Chop chop! Get to work! We got some redesigning to do!

Ehhhhh, boss?

Yeah?

What about gameplay, or pacing or a believable world?

Get to work on those belts! Now!

jerrrry

I Miss Doraleous.
Oct 26, 2009
John Funk said:
Good news, everyone: Four years after Final Fantasy Versus XIII was first announced at E3 2006, the game's story is now officially complete.
When you type "Good news, everyone," do you hear Professor Putricide/Farnsworth saying it in your head?

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I'm pretty sure this game will never be completed. What about the "GAME part of the GAME" as Yahtzee puts it? Can we see or hear anything about that?