TED Meets Milo Next Month

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
TED Meets Milo Next Month

A certain virtual boy is the subject of Peter Molyneux's upcoming TED talk.

Milo might never get released as a game, but that doesn't mean that there isn't anything left to say about him. In two weeks time, Peter Molyneux will join activists, advocates and artists at TEDGlobal 2010 in Oxford, UK, and as part of a session titled "Human Systems" will speak about Milo to conference attendees.

What aspect of Milo the talk will focus on isn't clear, and the summary listed on the TED website [http://conferences.ted.com/TEDGlobal2010/program/speakers.php#743] is very light on details. If Milo is a project that has been shelved, as Aaron Greenberg's comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101744-Microsoft-Milo-Just-a-Tech-Demo] seemed to indicate, it could be a retrospective, but if it's still being worked on then it could look at the technology that powers Milo, or what Molyneux's visions for the project, or any one of dozens of other aspects.

While Molyneux's reach often exceeds his grasp, he's passionate about games and I must admit that I find his enthusiasm very infectious. Regardless of what his talk actually focuses on, I think it's going to be very interesting to listen to. Molyneux's talk takes place during the second session of TEDGlobal 2010, which starts at 4:45PM GMT on July 13th.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/29/molyneuxs-milo-kate-ted-talk-detailed/]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, glad to see they still have a use for Milo and not going into oblivion. ANd,. of course it would be PM using him...is his creation so I suppose, it makes ense

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Oh, great. Molyneux gets to give a speech.

Did you ever watch any of those Fable 2 Press video's? The man doesn't SHUT THE HELL UP AND SHOW GAMEPLAY. Why would I want to watch something where he's EXPECTED to talk for an hour?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can't help but wonder if a PETA-esq group is slowly rising in order to liberate MILO. Milo is life-like enough to trick the gullible into believing that he is a new form of life which is in desperate need of civil liberties and whatnot.

On Topic though, I have nothing really relevant to contribute. I don't see there being a game based around the MILO technology except perhaps a new kind of dating sim...which would be wrong and terrible if it centered around the young man I know.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:

Did you ever watch any of those Fable 2 Press video's? The man doesn't SHUT THE HELL UP AND SHOW GAMEPLAY. Why would I want to watch something where he's EXPECTED to talk for an hour?
He's a phenomenal public speaker - a natural performer. Even if you're not personally interested in what he happens to be talking about, he's always enjoyable.

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
Susan Arendt said:
He's a phenomenal public speaker - a natural performer. Even if you're not personally interested in what he happens to be talking about, he's always enjoyable.
Is he? Normally his speeches cause nothing but wide yawns for me, wide yawns matched with the surefire knowledge of the fact that the 90% of what he's talking about will never actually happen in his games, since "realism" isn't part of his personal dictionary.

I look forward to the day in which people will stop justifying blatant liars as "visionaries" and just identify them as what they are.

Jaredin said:
of course it would be PM using him...
I guess that with "using" you mean giving him cues with a laptop because the AI doesn't really work independently?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
TsunamiWombat said:

He's so charismatic.

He wants to do all these things, whether or not he can, he always tries. It's nice to see someone like him in the industry. Someone so...infectious. I'll watch a speech by him if he was just talking about...Anything, really.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Meh, I've never had a problem with Molyneux. Is he prone to hyperbole with his I.Ps? Yes totally. Does he run his mouth too much most of the time? Yes. However I have always admired his enthusiasm about games, while they usually never deliver on all of the claims he gives, it's always good to see someone in this industry reaching for the stars. Its always makes me happy to see someone in this industry who is confident that the next generation of video games can create a whole new experience for the player and retains a passion for what he creates.

I look foreward to seeing his TED presentation.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I don't think he's a a liar or a moron. What I do think is that he needs to set more realistic goals. The things he tries to do in his games are simply too advanced and complicated for the hardware to allow.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"or what Molyneux's visions for the project"

Like that's ever given a realistic version of what the product will end up like.

CKalvin

Sep 21, 2009
Now THIS I want to watch. I've spent hours and hours watching TED, so I wonder how Molyneus will fare in his presentation.

Ps. for those that haven't seen it, you gotta watch Sir Ken Robinson's talk.
http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

edit: seriously, watch it. You can ban me if you watch it and tell me that wasn't worth your while.