Making a Multiplayer Tetris: Ten Years and Counting

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Making a Multiplayer Tetris: Ten Years and Counting

Tetris [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=tetris&x=12&y=23] creator Alexey Pajitnov says he's been working on a multiplayer version of his masterpiece for more than ten years, but he still hasn't quite figured out how to make it work.

Tetris, at first glance, looks like the kind of game you could design before lunch and program over a weekend: Assemble blocks to make lines, repeat ad nauseum. There's a bit more to it than that, obviously; just ask Alexey Pajitnov, the former Soviet engineer who created the game in 1985 and has spent the last decade trying to come up with a solid multiplayer angle.

"We are working on multiplayer versions for more than ten years - I've been trying to design it. I should admit that we are not quite there yet," Pajitnov told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29141/Pajitnov_Ive_Spent_More_Than_10_Years_Working_On_Multiplayer_Tetris.php].

"It was quite a problem with Tetris that... the game is very intense, you know? If you play on the high level - and that's where you want to play usually," he explained. "So, you play on the edge of your abilities, in terms of the speed and reaction, and everything. So, you kind of have no brain resources to observe what the other people are doing."

"That's the kind of measured theoretical problem which we need to resolve with multiplayer Tetris," he continued. "So, if we lower the intensity of personal game playing, we, a little bit, lower the excitement of the game. But if we keep it at the same level, the players don't have resources to really do some kind of multiplayer actions, to observe, to analyze what's going on in the big picture, and adjust their strategy."

Pajitnov said the multiplayer Tetris as it currently stands is "pretty good," but doesn't quite live up to his ideal vision. "My dream would be the game, when you could really see what the other people do and take their gameplay and their achievement and their status in the game really in account," he said. "That's what the main joy of a multiplayer game is, in my opinion."

I guess maybe it's not all that easy after all. I've been wracking my brain for at least a minute or two trying to think up some kind of decent multiplayer approach to Tetris and all I've got so far is different ways to tell people you whomped their high score. Any better ideas floating around out there?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ten years? That's a long, long time! I didn't think it could be that complicated.

Perhaps each character takes it in turn to drop a block? Seems like a sensible approach

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Couldn't he make a version similar to Bubble-Bobble's multiplayer? Or Dr. Mario's multiplayer?

conchshellthegeek7

Feb 5, 2010
Um...I hate to break it to you, but...they've got it already.

http://www.tetrisfriends.com/

So...Yeah. But apparently, it's not as official as they say.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
I say it's a bigger screen and two blocks drop down at the same time

One controls the other and can either help or screw up

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Or a more interactive one, Swordfighting [http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Swordfight] in the Puzzle Pirates MMO.

I'm actually playing Swordfight right now...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
What's he talking aboot? Tetris DS has some of the best multiplayer ever!

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Let's see, we've got TetriNet, Tetris Friends and Tetris DS. All amazingly good online multiplayer Tetrist games.

This guy must be stalling for time to try and see how long he can keep his job or must release the most groundbreaking online experience soon.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Simple concept, two people playing simultaneously, when someone completes a line it adds an unremovable line to the bottom of their opponents block square. Done.

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
Have separate grids for each player,powerups(no clipping blocks,insta board clear) and attacking things(make enemys block fall super fast,enemy has unbreakable blocks)

Aslo,i've seen a few flash games like this.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
... I was confused, but I understand what hes saying. Current multiplayer tetris games are really just 2 or more people playing next to each other, their actions occasionally having an effect on the other players. You'll glance over once or twice, then go right back into your little bubble.

Designing a multiplayer tetris where other players are more than just occasional sources of interference does sound pretty damned impossible.

Mikester1290

Jun 29, 2010
How ABOUT, (this needs multiscreen) looks like classic tetris, but apart from the falling blocks from top for player 1, there is another set of falling blocks at 90 degrees to the first set for player 2, and so on, so up to four players, each players blocks all go into one big bundle in the center, each players veiws his set from normal way up so he sees blocks coming in from other angles too, which would be weird to play, and i wouldnt know what TO DO with all them blocks in the middle, but seems like it could be used for co-op or battle mode.

Oh and also might bend your mind too!

BattleAxeInc

May 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Tetris, at first glance, looks like the kind of game you could design before lunch
Yeah, because it's already been designed for you. A far different point of view is in saying "a game as good as Tetris can be designed before lunch." There have been quite a few lunches since 1984, and Tetris is still the puzzle game to beat. Who knows, maybe his ten years of effort will put Tetris DS and Tetris Friends multiplayer to shame and blow all of our goddamned minds.