Divorce Lawyers Use WoW, FarmVille, Facebook in Court

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Divorce Lawyers Use WoW, FarmVille, Facebook in Court

If you're planning on getting a divorce, you'd better watch what you do online - even in Azeroth.

Divorce is traditionally a very ugly thing. Not only does it represent the end of what was hopefully once a loving relationship, but it's the splitting of two lives: Shared possessions, assets, and even children must now be split up. Naturally, divorce lawyers will use whatever evidence they can in their client's favor - and lately, with the popularity of Facebook, the number of cases in which online evidence is a factor is only increasing.

In fact, according to USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2010-06-29-facebook-divorce_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip], the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers says that a whopping 81% of its members have used online evidence to build their cases at some point in the past five years. While the main point of contention is usually Facebook - shouldn't have posted those pictures of you hooking up with your mistress and forgotten to de-friend your ex-wife's brother - online games are being used as evidence as well.

[blockquote]? Father seeks custody of the kids, claiming (among other things) that his ex-wife never attends the events of their young ones. Subpoenaed evidence from the gaming site World of Warcraft tracks her there with her boyfriend at the precise time she was supposed to be out with the children. Mom loves Facebook's FarmVille, too, at all the wrong times.[/blockquote]

So remember, people: The next time you decide to raid Icecrown Citadel when you're supposed to be watching your kids, it could come around to bite you in the rear.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5576262/farmville-world-of-warcraft-are-divorce-lawyers-latest-weapons-in-court])

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
She played WoW AND Farmville? Man, she is the pinnacle of the Internet Addictions.

Calumon: And I thought that was you Jack.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Lawyers will do just about anything to get their money. This is just another example. Good I'm not married or a divorce lawyer would have a field day when reviewing all of my time spent here.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Deary me, Let the father have the kids! If the woman's that into her petty online game's that she ignore's her responsibility's as a parent let somebody who's mature and ISIN'T addicted to noline gaming raise those kids.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Funny, had plenty of married couples back in guild in WoW, and the worst thing that ever happened between them due to gameplay was along the lines of "Thats it! You are sleeping on the couch tonight!" but they always either went on longer AFK or excused themselves and logged off whenever there was problem with their little ones.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
John Funk said:
Sooner or later they're gonna start labeling the account as part her property and she'll get a portion of it. Imagine being forced to transfer one of your toons you worked so hard on to another account, never to be touched by you again...

Funk, imagine this scenario, but worse:

She takes your druid.

Ack... Its hard for me to even think about.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Gxas said:
John Funk said:
Sooner or later they're gonna start labeling the account as part her property and she'll get a portion of it. Imagine being forced to transfer one of your toons you worked so hard on to another account, never to be touched by you again...

She takes your druid.

Yes, a custody battle over a level 54 elf hunter, that will be hilarious when it happens :p

Marcus Barnovsky

Mar 30, 2010
I lost two girlfriends thanks to WoW...and I barely noticed. That was a sign from God...don't get married or else the list of things that she will take will be much longer XD

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
Gxas said:
Sooner or later they're gonna start labeling the account as part her property
The exact thing that came to my mind around half way down the thread.I even went as far as in-game things being split amoung both of the parents...

Gold.
BoE Epics.
Oh dear.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Keava said:
Funny, had plenty of married couples back in guild in WoW, and the worst thing that ever happened between them due to gameplay was along the lines of "Thats it! You are sleeping on the couch tonight!" but they always either went on longer AFK or excused themselves and logged off whenever there was problem with their little ones.
Similar experience, except most of the kids played too... not sure whose worse in this case.
Gxas said:

She takes your druid.

It's OK man, it's Ok, just go feral and bearform, you can take anything that will come at you!

OT: Thats interesting... evidence. I guess this is the digital age and I should get used to things like this being used but.... stil.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
VincentX3 said:
Just......wow...
Nope, farmville too :p

Crap jokes aside, this is kinda crap... Why didn't she just say that her kid wanted her to level their character up or something?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, goes to prove anything and everything can be used against people these days. Although people who are not loyal and are doing things other than what they are supposed to do deserve it somewhat

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
This reminds me a lot of The Guild. Poor Clara, being forced to interact with her family like that...

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Honestly, after meeting Potato-Boy, I'm not surprised that stuff like this comes up...

... for the record, Potato-Boy was a MUSH (yeah, that dates me...) addict. He literally played his favorite MUSH for 50+ hours straight; his only sustenance a bag of raw potatoes. At some point, his body said Screw You, I need to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, it chose to do so during a PvP. So, he crapped himself rather than end the fight. And was PROUD of it.

So, ignoring the kids and your husband? Heh... that's nothing.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
HK_01 said:
Where do they just get all that info from?
All that information can be subpoenaed from the various services/servers. Also, your spouse can just copy your files/records.