Fable 3 Needs to Earn $150 Million to Prevent "Withering"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Fable 3 Needs to Earn $150 Million to Prevent "Withering"

According to Peter Molyneux, when it comes to sales numbers, Fable 3 has some big shoes to fill..

Expectations are running high for <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277916523&sr=8-1>Fable 3, which hits store shelves this coming October. While gamers are hoping for some great gameplay and a wonderful setting, Peter Molyneux of Lionhead has revealed that there are some lofty sales goals for the title.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz about what Lionhead and Microsoft expect from the game, Molyneux said that the companies are hoping Fable 3 will sell more than 5 million copies, resulting in a profit "in excess" of $150 million. "We have to do that because if a franchise doesn't reach that level it will inevitably wither," he said.

On top of this news, the DLC Lionhead released for Fable II was successful enough for the developer to plan episodic expansions for Fable 3. Not only that, but the first such episode won't cost gamers a penny when it goes live "soon after the retail launch." This first piece of DLC will provide roughly an hour of extra play.

Fable 3 will undoubtedly sell well, but stating that the game needs to earn $150 million sounds a little extreme. Molyneux seems to be missing the point about what causes a franchise to "wither". Gamers tend to lose interest in a series when new titles are no longer interesting or innovative. If Lionhead keeps on providing new content and excellent gameplay, then it doesn't seem like the developer has anything to worry about in the near future.

Source: Joystiq

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
The only problem with this is that the Fable Series has horrible Replay Value, i don't see how Peter is gonna get this to work.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Well, I will gladly contribute 60$ to help Petie make his goal!

HUZZAH FOR BRAND LOYALTY!

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
Chase Yojimbo said:
The only problem with this is that the Fable Series has horrible Replay Value, i don't see how Peter is gonna get this to work.
I think both games thus far have excellent replay value! I've complete both about 10 times and each with a different character, a different combination of choices and events and an overall different experience.

It's no good flailing around a Fable game in an attempt to cram as much content into your first file as possible, you have to take you time. People don't seem to understand this and, frankly, it upsets me...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'd like them to fix the god awful frame rate issues and game crashes from Fable 2. That would be a great start.

I was beyond disappointed with Fable 2. Everything was just so shallow. I don't like the "emote" way to communicate with people and that's returning in Fable 3. The combat was a little... I don't know, jerky? It worked but it felt kind of funny... stiff might be a good way to put it.

I think what I'm getting at is what I've seen from Fable 3 is that it's basically Fable 2 again (you even get a dog) except there's this whole monarchy business and rise to the throne. I want them to make the core of the game enjoyable first before adding on all these extra frills that are entirely half baked.

The dog for example. Why was it there? Peter wanted us to care about the dog, I didn't care about the dog at all. It just ran around and got hurt, then I needed to heal it. That seemed to be it's explicit purpose. It was an awful fighter and provided me no emotional attachment.

Fable 3 just seems to do so little different that there is no way in hell I'm getting the game on release day.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
The Austin said:

HUZAH FOR BRAND LOYALTY!
Hellz yea, lol. I am a Fable fanboy. I've drank the Molyneux Kool-aid. Already have my limited Ed. Fable III pre-ordered!!!

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Well Ol' Petey is definately getting my £40.

Chase Yojimbo said:
Really? The main great thing I always found about the Fable series was that you could play it over and over and over and over etc.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
"Withering?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? That fable might end if it doesn't sell 5 million copies? Oh noes? After the extremely dumbed down experience offered by the first one and the confusing exclusivity of the second, I think molyneux is speaking in self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.
AC10 said:
I'd like them to fix the god awful frame rate issues and game crashes from Fable 2. That would be a great start.
They are. Its going to be on PC. *snort snort*

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
The Austin said:

HUZZAH FOR BRAND LOYALTY!
Hellz yea, lol. I am a Fable fanboy. I've drank the Molyneux Kool-aid. Already have my limited Ed. Fable III pre-ordered!!!
I can't tell weather you're mocking me or whether you're serious, but frankly, I don't care.
I will be more than happy to put down 60$ for the newest game in a series that I love.

HUZZAH!

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Peter may get extra from me for that limited edition, mm-mm.
What can I say? I'm a sucker for a novelty coin, a deck of cards and a box shaped like a book.

I was really hoping that that was going to be the art book rather than the box though. I love art books.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Cynical skeptic said:
"Withering?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? That fable might end if it doesn't sell 5 million copies? Oh noes? After the extremely dumbed down experience offered by the first one and the confusing exclusivity of the second, I think molyneux is speaking in self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.
AC10 said:
They are. Its going to be on PC. *snort snort*
True! Though, I remember Fable 1 not running very well on my PC either.
Come to think of it Black and White didn't run that great as well.

I think lion head just sucks at making engines.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Chase Yojimbo said:
I disagree, i played through Fable 2 about 6 times through before I got bored of it. Then again, not everyone enjoyed Fable 2 as much as I did...

Well, I'll be getting Fable 3 anyway. I quite love the franchise despite the undeserved hate people sling at it, I think it's a great game.
I don't disagree with you... to a degree, but everyone is different, i just found that the fable series replay value is low, unlike other games like Mass Effect, where thats the main point of the game, to play it over and over and over... anyways, Yes i will buy Fable 3 no doubt, i enjoyed Fable 2 thuroughly, however, like i said, replay value is low.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
AC10 said:
True! Though, I remember Fable 1 not running very well on my PC either.
Come to think of it Black and White didn't run that great as well.

I think lion head just sucks at making engines.
Now that you mention it, both black and whites still ran like crap when I went back to them with more than five times the computer I had originally.

I didn't think much about fable chugging hard in random places because I had kindofa crap PC when I played it, but still insisted on maxing out all visual settings.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I liked Fable 2 a lot. Oh don't get me wrong it had it's flaws and warts, some pretty freaking massive ones, like the storyline, it was like some badly written fan fiction, and some of the ideas just didn't plan out, but if you moved into the open world it was a really interesting game.

I look forward to Fable 3, I just hope they realise innovation shouldn't be done innovation's sake, lots of things in some games are "innovative" but really really freaking horrible.