Games Need a Billboard Top Ten, Says ESA President

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Games Need a Billboard Top Ten, Says ESA President

Taking lessons from the movie and music industry could be a big help for videogames, according to the ESA's Michael Gallagher.

Hearing that an artist has a number one single, or that a movie has topped the box office charts is pretty commonplace, but as yet, videogames lack an official chart of their own. ESA President Michael Gallagher is hoping that will soon change however, as he believes that a chart for games would be of great benefit to the industry.

"You now have significant revenue, and growth and investment, and where that flows you tend to get better information," Gallagher said. "Reporters ask for it, investors certainly do and then there are consumers. There is an advantage to the companies to figure out a way to report that."

"Someone had better do it or you're going to have a trade association doing it," he added. "It has got to be done."

Gallagher said that the current sources of information give an incomplete picture of how videogames are being consumed by the public. He cited the NPD Group, which doesn't track the digital sales, as an example, and said that it had effectively ignored the growth of Zynga, a developer that some have valued at around $4 billion [http://mashable.com/2010/05/04/zynga-farmville-value/]. "It has a phenomenal rate of growth that is not captured," he said. "So there is a disconnect."

Gallagher said that he hoped some sort of structure was put in place soon, so that people could get a more accurate picture of the industry. "I'd like to see it move faster," he said. "I think this industry is accomplishing great things across a far great reach, than is traditionally reported."

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5574678/video-games-need-a-billboard-top-ten]

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I like it, it seems like a good idea.

I've always wanted something like this to be honest.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
There's one problem with this. Games are much more predictable and don't fluctuate has much.
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare
That is what it will be, for a long long time.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Please... don't call Zynga a developer, at least not along with real game developers.

May 25, 2010
ultimateownage said:
There's one problem with this. Games are much more predictable and don't fluctuate has much.
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare
Pretty much this.^^

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ultimateownage said:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare
Pretty much what I was going to say.

It'll be just like the movie or television industry where they look at what sells and just re-sell it over and over again in different guises.

Hell, it happens enough already, we don't need it more.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
For those who don't know, in our Community tab up top, we have a link to a list of the top games Escapists are playing (those who linked their live/psn/steam accounts at least): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/top_games

It's a pretty nifty list of what people that I would think consider themselves gamers are actually playing right now.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
fenrizz said:
I like it, it seems like a good idea.

I've always wanted something like this to be honest.
Same here, I thought it would make sense, and, it seems other share the same thought. It could be pretty cool, to at least look at

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
What a totally pointless and meaningless idea. Does anyone pay any attention to the music or movie charts these days?

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Kross said:
For those who don't know, in our Community tab up top, we have a link to a list of the top games Escapists are playing (those who linked their live/psn/steam accounts at least): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/top_games

It's a pretty nifty list of what people that I would think consider themselves gamers are actually playing right now.
Top PS3 games-21-Toy Story 3.

0.o

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Videogames also need something comparable to cinemas and concerts to offset costs of home copies, but thats not going to happen either.

Pretty sure at this point, the industry would fight, tooth and nail, the establishment of an independent 'billboard' type entity, as they wouldn't be able to just quote random biased publications on the box.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Kross said:

I didn't know that existed, so cool!
I'd say that this is much better than the idea that the man in the news post had.
With this, the list would change based on game quality much more than the Billboard-esque revenue list, as UltimateOwnage and so many others have said.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
dekkarax said:
Kross said:

Top PS3 games-21-Toy Story 3.

0.o
I'd recommend Toy Story 3 highly.
While it isn't as intense as GTA or any other sandbox game, it is a pretty above average rail shooter with a fun sandbox mode.
Not to mention the enormous amounts of nostalgia due to it being Toy Story.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
ultimateownage said:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare
Well, its due to change over time. I imagine when the successor to Modern Warfare 2 comes out, that game will top MW, or if Blizzard releases a new MMO or something most users will transfer to the successor. I imagine that's what will happen. But then again, what about expansions? What does that make Cataclysm? Or for that matter, FrontierVille (Face it. It's the almost the same shit with a new coat of paint.)

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
ultimateownage said:
1. W.O.W.
2. Farmville
3.Modern warfare
Nailed it on the head. It'll just make it harder to get new IP's off the ground, as well as make it much more difficult to identify the smaller titles that're worth a shit. People will mainly start focusing on the board and shoot for whatever is in that top 10.

Unfortunately, games work much differently than movies and music in terms of sales and demand, especially when you throw MMO's in the mix.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
What would the chart be based off?

If it's purely from sales we'd have fanboys and misinformed parents blabbering on about how MW5 is the greatest game in existence and how indie games are all terrible.