36-Hour Lemmings Port Gets Cease-and-Desist From Sony

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
36-Hour Lemmings Port Gets Cease-and-Desist From Sony

A Lemmings [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmings] fan who completed a live-blogged 36-hour port of his Palm OS-based version of the game to the iPhone and Palm Pre has had his moment of triumph cut short by a cease-and-desist letter from Sony.

On June 22, Aaron Ardiri of mobile games developer live-blogging [http://www.mobile1up.com/] the entire process. The project was a success; in only 36 hours, Ardiri had the game fully compiled and waiting for approval on the App Store and the Palm App Catalog, and also had Windows and Mac versions freely available on his website.

Unfortunately, but perhaps predictably, everything came to a screeching halt when a cease-and-desist letter [http://www.mobile1up.com/lemmings/blog/sony-letter.txt] arrived from Sony, which purchased Psygnosis in 1993 and owns the rights to Lemmings. The letter gave Ardiri 48 hours to remove all his ports of Lemmings or face a lawsuit and damages for each copy of the game he distributed.

Despite the premature end to his Lemmings adventure, Ardiri seemed remarkably upbeat. "As much as we would love to have this title reach everyone, we have unfortunately been contacted and instructed by Sony's intellectual property and legal department to remove our Lemmings conversion from our websites and distribution channels," he wrote on his website. "While we did this as a tribute to the game - we can only hope that Sony actually does a conversion for platforms like iPhone and Palm Pre in the near future. We will open communication with Sony to explore the rights for these platforms!"

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
That is an awesome achievement and I hope that his discussions with Sony are successful and he is allowed to market his port.

@samsonguy920: Copyright takes a minimum of fifty years to lapse. It's dumb but them's the rules.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Okay, I hate to be the one to say this but... the giant faceless multinational corporation is right here. You can't just take someone elses game port it to a new medium, that's a textbook definition of copyright infringement. That'd be like taking a movie you bought on VHS transferring it to DVD and than trying to turn around and sell it. Then giving it to people.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
*cease and desist*
*court orders turnover of all materials*
-6 hours later-
"Sony announces lemmings for iphone!"

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
You know it still must of been a good experience for the dude that coded it.
Sad someone had to go and snitch on him before he uploaded.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I mean, they had to see it coming. I can't just try to port Pokemon to iPhone and then start selling it.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
....All together now:

Seriously, sony: Not cool.

Bro code 11: It's not cool to mess up another Bro game.

Insane_Foxx

May 22, 2009
Another example of someone sitting on something they "own" and never doing a damn thing with it. Just sitting on the copyright so that no one else can either.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
The guy's got a great attitude to all of this, and I really hope his negotiations with Sony go well.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well what did he expect? You can't just do stuff like that. It doesn't say in the article it had to be handed over, so Sony might find it a bit tricky trying to sell his port.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
ace_of_something said:
Okay, I hate to be the one to say this but... the giant faceless multinational corporation is right here. You can't just take someone elses game port it to a new medium, that's a textbook definition of copyright infringement. That'd be like taking a movie you bought on VHS transferring it to DVD and than trying to turn around and sell it.
Damn friggin right.
How did he not see this coming from a mile away. Sony ownes the license, so don't sell their stuff.

People booing Sony: They have every right. How would you like it if someone took a game you made, ported it, then tried to sell it and cut out your profit margins?

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Now THIS is a game for a phone app! Would think by now it would be public domain anyway.
A property does not go public domain until it's creator has been dead for 70 years (I think, it might be 50)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow, that didnt take them long...AT ALL! But...it would be an epic port to iPhone!