Heavy Rain Creator Predicts No More DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Heavy Rain Creator Predicts No More DLC

PlayStation Move [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278002243&sr=1-1] means The Taxidermist will probably be the only downloadable content ever released for the game.

Heavy Rain Chronicles were intended to be a series of DLC prequel chapters that would have expanded on the characters and story of the original game. The first Chronicle, The Taxidermist [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Chronicles-Taxidermist-Playstation-3/dp/B003F24GPK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278002243&sr=1-3], was released in March along with the special edition of the game, but despite having the scripts for three more Chronicles already written, Cage said he doesn't think any of them will see the light of day.

"Our approach was to make no compromise on the quality of the Chronicles and offer exactly the same quality than the original game," Cage told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/cage-heavy-rain-dlc-will-never-be-made]. "Chronicles as we saw them were ambitious and with high expectations. As explained, they are on hold to allow the team to work on Move and on new projects, and I doubt they will ever be produced."

Cage said he'd prefer to work on more Chronicles, but his situation just doesn't allow for it. "Sony wanted more AAA adult games to support the Move and they thought that Heavy Rain was the perfect fit." he said. "For me, there was really a choice to make, because I did not want to postpone the work on our next project spending one more year on Heavy Rain, and given the time and attention we put in developing our games, this is what it would have meant."

Cage's comments echos those of Guillame de Fondaumière, who Quantic Dream [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101506-Move-Puts-Heavy-Rain-DLC-on-Indefinite-Hold] to incorporate motion controls into Heavy Rain rather than work on new content. He added that the studio was more likely to move on to a new project once that was done rather than resume work on the Chronicles.

In spite of his disappointment, Cage said he understood Sony's desire to focus on its new motion controller. "I am really proud of this Move edition [of Heavy Rain] and think it will surprise many gamers and show that Move can be used for things other than family entertainment," he said. "Now as a writer and director, would I have preferred to work on the three Chronicles I wrote? Guess."

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Great, just when we could of gotten something that EXPLAINS THE PLOT MORE, we get denied by Move.

Thanks Sony, THANKS A WHOLE LOT!

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Gotta wonder how many more extras got the axe on other games so that Move and Kinect could grace our homes. It's not even a game that will gain anything from motion control...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Wow, this sucks.

I'm glad I got the one DLC for free by pre-ordering the game. I really wanted more though. :(

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
Damn you, Sony! Damn you, Move! I was looking forward for those Chronicles...

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I don't curse often, but GOD DAMN YOU SONY.

I wanted these Chronicles, not Twitchy Waggly Playstation Lolly-pop support.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Seriously, Motion controls ruin EVERYTHING. Soon everyone will have to buy new stuff because the companies will become obsessed with releasing motion control game instead of real games. In short, F*ck motion controls.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
This is one hell of an epic fail. Way to encroach on one of the PS3's most innovative developers.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
So instead of expanding on a (I never played it so I will say, "supposedly") good game, they have moved on to make shovelware? Awesome.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I was expecting this. Heavy Rain was a project that took years, and The Taxidermist came quickly only because it was already completed (It was actually one of the first demos for the game).

With the gameplay mechanics, making more content isn't as simple as making a new map, and putting the characters in. Every item, and area needs proper context, scripting, animation, and dialogue.

swolf

May 3, 2010
All right, that sux for those who played that game. Well, here's the silver lining, the smart people who made that game (I heard it's good) are now focusing on Motion Control. Hopefully, they will make something other than "shovelware". PLEASE?! Please come through on your promises...oh wait, you didn't do that with your DLC...well, that's a great sign...

Edit: I'm kinda confused on the need for all those prequels. Why are they necessary? I mean, couldn't they have fitted that story in to the original game? I mean, I don't like DLC in general because I feel a lot of it should have been included in the original game anyways and would have been in except they rushed the game out (because that's always a good idea). I mean, it's fine if you get some new ideas (like from the fans) and decide to add that to your game but there are other times (Bioshock's additional "protect more little sisters") where I enjoyed the game and just don't see the appeal for the DLC. I don't see how that will expand on the game or story. Also, for another look on it, SH2 and Shadow of the Colossus set up their stories just fine w/o the need for DLC.

I didn't mean to "troll", that's just my way of showing the silver lining...and state confusion.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, thats a shame, I was expecting some nice other DLCs to come on through from this...I guess it wasnt to be

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Bloody hell sony!

NO. ONE. WANTS. YOUR. WII. RIPOFF.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/

This comic express my idea, easy.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Question. Were the extra episodes promised before the game was released? Because it seems to me that if they were, Sony could be looking at lawsuits if they don't refund the money to people who bought it based on false advertising and broken contracts with said customers.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Well at least we know that Sony is fully committed to making shovelware and shooting itself in the proverbial foot. This really sucks, as I really liked Heavy Rain because it's the only PS3 game I actually enjoy, and then Sony assassinates it. LAME.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Ow, come on.
No one needs the Move support for Heavy Rain, no one wants it.
It won't change the core mechanics, it will make moving around even more awkward and it will bastically ammount everything to waggling.
What. A. Trainwreck.
So, instead of adding new awesome content for my 99% certain GotY of 2010, they do this.
Damn.